Waived: Domingue(ARI) and Reinhart(VGK)

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The Coyotes are a train-wreck.....season could be over for them by the 20-game mark, and goaltending only part of the problem.....a neophyte GM with an obsession for analytics is a bigger part of the problem. Florida went with it and crashed and burned......Possession stats; shot differential; analytics and Corsi numbers.....you might as well put them in the blender and hit 'start" over.

Truth... Worse, the younger the player, the less they should be relied upon. There's a place for them but relying on them as gospel, will never work. GM will be let go before season ends... And should be..

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Reinhart is a solid AHL 3rd pairing guy but I have no idea why teams keep thinking he's an NHL defenseman. He's been a lost cause since at least 2014.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Coyotes are a train-wreck.....season could be over for them by the 20-game mark, and goaltending only part of the problem.....a neophyte GM with an obsession for analytics is a bigger part of the problem. Florida went with it and crashed and burned......Possession stats; shot differential; analytics and Corsi numbers.....you might as well put them in the blender and hit 'start" over.
While I agree the Coyotes team is a train wreck it is overly simplistic to blame it on "a neophyte GM with an obsession for analytics". Sure, the moves he has made have not worked out (yet) but it is not like the moves he has made have been terrible, except maybe the coaching choice. Was that analytics?

Acquiring Hjalmarsson, Stepan and Raanta were good hockey moves upgrading areas of the team that were severely in need. Raanta being injured since camp has been a huge blow to the team. Having to rely on the back up goalie who subsequently forgot how to goalie (and is now waived) is a big problem. With OEL struggling with injuries, Goligoski struggling and Chcyhrun not available the D has been exposed for lacking depth and NHL talent. I guess you could argue Demers was an analytics move gone bad though having his D coach from Florida on the Coyotes coaching staff suggests the coach must have thought he was good enough.

And if you want to point the finger at analytics, Keller was absolutely an analytics choice. That is turning out pretty good.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So that's 2 Vegas D that have cleared waivers now. See McPhee? That wasn't so hard was it? Nobody wants your crap. Glad you created a wonderful relationShipachyov before realizing this.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It’s almost as if that’s not the real reason this is happening.

Yes, I'm sure it's entirely possible, perhaps even probable that Shipachyov wouldn't have been a fit anyway(which is also a McPhee miscalculation giving him 4.5 million dollars to not be an NHL player if that's the case), but going the 12 forward/9 D route(which almost nobody ever does) to keep a handful of worthless D hoping to get a 6th rounder for 1, and in the process not really giving your 4.5 million dollar player time to gel with the team certainly hasn't helped.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Reinhart is a solid AHL 3rd pairing guy but I have no idea why teams keep thinking he's an NHL defenseman. He's been a lost cause since at least 2014.
He's a solid top pairing guy in the AHL, just like he was last season in Bakersfield. As a number 7, he's not hurting anyone. He better than a lot of number sevens in this league and likely some number sixes. The Oilers being one of them.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Reinhart is smart and knows how to play defense. He knows where to be positionaly and is good with his stick.

The problem for him is his lack of speed and explosiveness. 15 years ago he would have been a fine stay at home Defensman but in today's game he gets exposed and exploited but opposing forwards.

It also doesn't help that he's big but soft as a kitten.
Islander fans thought he was the next Hamonic. Every year they kept posting, "he almost made the team out of training camp". Anyone with eyes could see he had cement shoes and he's soft like a puppy. He got turned like a turnstile when forwards approached with any king of speed.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It’s almost as if that’s not the real reason this is happening.

But it is. With 2 defensemen gone that clears 2 forward spots to be 13 and 14 (2 of Nosek, Leipsic or Carrier). There's already been injuries at forward so they would have gone right back in the lineup.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I think its because he SHOULD be an NHL'er. The tools are there, aside from maybe his skating. His biggest issue is that he's too passive out there. Maybe he's too afraid to make a mistake, I don't know, but he has looked good in very short stretches (ie, the shifts) when he looked motivated to go that extra step. That, coupled with his draft pedigree and history of winning at previous levels probably has gotten him an extra shot or two to make it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm sure they'll be fine, so long as they avoid giving contracts like the one's Chiarelli gave to Lucic and Russell. And now they are missing a winger like Eberle, whom they could use right about now. Chiarelli sure likes to give up on talent, doesn't he? He has a history of this.

And what the **** do the Kings have to do with this talking point? Is that your petulant attempt at deflecting criticism?
This is a weird post. Lucic was given a contract that is very much in line with what he brings to the team. He isn't without his faults (ie, speed), but he brings enough to the table to counter that. And if he had the speed, he'd be making even more. It's a year or two too long, but not an overpay considering he was a UFA. The Russell one I won't argue on, even though he's been great for the Oilers since day 1.

The Oilers don't need an Eberle. They need what Eberle was 4 years ago. He isn't that guy anymore. He spent last year trying to learn two way play and looking lost while doing it. Every GM has a history of "giving up" talent. Eberle needed to go.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
The tools are there, aside from maybe his skating.

But that's a HUGE tool for a defenseman.
I know a lot of people think our GM is an idiot, but he should be commended for getting Brad Hunt into the lineup and waiving Griff - because one of those two has the skating and puck-moving ability to play in today's NHL, and it isn't the guy who was picked in the Top 5 of the Entry Draft.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think its because he SHOULD be an NHL'er. The tools are there, aside from maybe his skating. His biggest issue is that he's too passive out there. Maybe he's too afraid to make a mistake, I don't know, but he has looked good in very short stretches (ie, the shifts) when he looked motivated to go that extra step. That, coupled with his draft pedigree and history of winning at previous levels probably has gotten him an extra shot or two to make it.

Yeah, he looked REALLY slow out there in the pre-season, getting beat to the puck in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad