Proposal: Domi to Winnipeg

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I do not want to push either of them. During the summer I was advocating KK to WPG and Connor to MTL or Domi/Laine (not 1 for 1). I like both teams. I believe WPG is closer to contending than MTL and I respect fans from WPG thinking Petry would not be a fit (even though I strongly disagree). I Was only reacting to the people saying they are not worth that (1st + top prospect)of return before Coleman trade ;)

Well, why do you think Petry to Winnipeg is a good idea for the Jets? Biggest concern is his contract...only 1 year left. The consensus for Jets fans is that we’ll have the cap ammo to go into the market in the offseason for a player, or if we go the trade route, we would want a player with term.

I don’t see much sense giving up premium assets for a short term patch especially since we’re not a top end contending team this year.

Reactions: Huffer

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I do not want to push either of them. During the summer I was advocating KK to WPG and Connor to MTL or Domi/Laine (not 1 for 1). I like both teams. I believe WPG is closer to contending than MTL and I respect fans from WPG thinking Petry would not be a fit (even though I strongly disagree). I Was only reacting to the people saying they are not worth that (1st + top prospect)of return before Coleman trade ;)

I think Jets fans aren't saying that Petry isn't a fit on the ice, because he would fit the blue line here very well. The issue is his contract status.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Not a single Jets fan has said or likely would ever say that Petry wouldn't help the Jets today.......what virtually all of Jets fans are saying Petry is 32 yrs old, likely has 2-3 good years left and has a one year term........that's a really bad fit for the Jets. Petry should be traded to a contender right now, Jets aren't that this year. Jets trading for Petry right now is a total waste of resources b/c Jets aren't close to contenders and Petry doesn't change that. It would brutal Resource management trading for Petry now for a Jets POV. To be clear to some contender he is worth a 1st and decent prospect.........but that would the dumbest thing ever for the Jets to pony that up at this stage.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Well, why do you think Petry to Winnipeg is a good idea for the Jets? Biggest concern is his contract...only 1 year left. The consensus for Jets fans is that we’ll have the cap ammo to go into the market in the offseason for a player, or if we go the trade route, we would want a player with term.

I don’t see much sense giving up premium assets for a short term patch especially since we’re not a top end contending team this year.

Well I believe this is a good idea for the Jets because even though that contract only lasts one year after this one, I do not believe you have many Ds of his caliber on a LT deal. He is a good puck mover and shooter, solid defensively. I like the guy a lot, but I believe MTL is not contending with o without him. The core issue is that Habs have no real 1st line LHD, no offensive 1st line you can speak off. Ideally the Tatar Danault Gallagher line is a 2nd line. Hence I do see picks and prospect development as the most likely way to contend within 3/4 years.

It s not so that we are negotiating so I have no incentive to lie or increase his value artificially but I believe esp. since the West is less stacked at the moment, that he can have a great impact in WPG. Other two things I fear in WPG is that if they are waiting for two years to contend, this Wheeler contract will be an anchor and you ll have Laine's paycheck coming up.

That is my pitch : Petry is basically what Trouba could have been (older I give you that) and that he ll be a cheaper option compared to other top 3/4 D man

PS : I still am aware this contract term is the main issue (but with longer contracts the price is also steeper) ;)

Last edited:

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Bolded is top I would do, plus the 1st is top 10 protected. If they wanted no top 10 protection then the prospect would be a Chisholm not a Harkins or Vesalainen.

Not interested in floating our first out there. Deep draft.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Well I believe this is a good idea for the Jets because even though that contract only lasts one year after this one, I do not believe you have many Ds of his caliber on a LT deal. He is a good puck mover and shooter, solid defensively. I like the guy a lot, but I believe MTL is not contending with o without him. The core issue is that Habs have no real 1st line LHD, no offensive 1st line you can speak off. Ideally the Tatar Danault Gallagher line is a 2nd line. Hence I do see picks and prospect development as the most likely way to contend within 3/4 years.

It s not so that we are negotiating so I have no incentive to lie or increase his value artificially but I believe esp. since the West is less stacked at the moment, that he can have a great impact in WPG. Other two things I fear in WPG is that if they are waiting for two years to contend, this Wheeler contract will be an anchor and you ll have Laine's paycheck coming up.

That is my pitch : Petry is basically what Trouba could have been (older I give you that) and that he ll be a cheaper option compared to other top 3/4 D man

PS : I still am aware this contract term is the main issue (but with longer contracts the price is also steeper) ;)

The Jets are a young team and a lot of their young core is locked up long-term at very good cap hits. There is absolutely no rush to make a hasty, short-term decision that you are proposing. Our window isn’t closing that fast.

I’d rather pay a steeper cost if the solution extends beyond next year, whether that is exploring the UFA market or making a more substantial trade.

Maurice also stated that the Jets aren’t interested in rentals and would only look at defencemen with term, which is what us fans agree with.

I guess we’re kinda off topic since this is a Domi thread.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The Jets are a young team and a lot of their young core is locked up long-term at very good cap hits. There is absolutely no rush to make a hasty, short-term decision that you are proposing. Our window isn’t closing that fast.

I’d rather pay a steeper cost if the solution extends beyond next year, whether that is exploring the UFA market or making a more substantial trade.

Maurice also stated that the Jets aren’t interested in rentals and would only look at defencemen with term, which is what us fans agree with.

I guess we’re kinda off topic since this is a Domi thread.
Indeed sorry got caught bout Petry ;)

I respect your argument and cross the fingers for WPG ;)

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Indeed sorry got caught bout Petry ;)

I respect your argument and cross the fingers for WPG ;)

I see where you are coming from... the West is ripe, the Jets are getting Vezina calibre goaltending and do have an elite top 6. A top 4 defenceman would be highly desirable to make a good go of it.

But, I think most of us want to be prudent with our asset management this year and rearm for next year (and beyond).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
There's no deal to be made between Winnipeg and Montreal for forwards. Petry is the only piece that interests us, but none of our core forwards (Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler, Scheifele, Lowry, Copp) are moving for him. Roslovic is probably the only player that I can see the Jets moving, even though he's got a ton of potential.

Can’t see Winnipeg moving Roslovic for Petry. Makes zero sense for them.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Really some fans are irrational.

To be fair, it’s probably better for the Jets to hold on to their first (which could end up a top 10 pick with how they are playing) and put it toward drafting a defenseman or a center instead of giving it up for a Top 6 winger that they already have in abundance. Domi is absolutely worth a first, but not for the Jets.

Same with Petry.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Is Domi really on the market or is it just one of those just because threads..?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->