Confirmed with Link: Domi for Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
About $600K savings for Galchenyuk on his $4.9 M deal.

Domi is paying $400K more in tax.

The equivalent take home offer for Domi would have been $2.450M.

OEL takes home a $1M per more than if he signed sane deal in Montreal.

So not a myth.
Even at min salary there is a difference between Montreal and other Canadian Cities that could pay a guy's rent for the season. Don't think if I was a high end guy it would be too priority for me but a middle of the pack guy could probably bank millions over career by choosing better tax situation.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Did his dad orchestrate the OHl draft to force his way to his preferred OhL destination?

I get the fear of the hockey parent but the asset we moved has an invested father as well.
True. Good ole Tie. I'm not a fan of Russian players and all their BS, and if Chucky was born in Russia, I don't think I would have supported this trade. I know that sounds stupid and it probably is.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Montreal media is ruthless. There is a reason it is not a preferred market and it’s not just the outrageous tax rates.
I dislike Quebec as much as I dislike Russian players (except Chucky). Living in Western Canada most of my life will do that for ya.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Very good point hbk! I want to share some info.

Firstly Galchenyuk's father was an ex-professional ice hockey player not unlike how Domi's dad played hockey. This "story" was just "leaked" to make it look like Bergevin had reason and to try and validate a questionable trade. This team does this to every player they trade like clockwork and quite frankly it's disgusting and classless. But at the end of the day maybe Galchenyuk's father did have a point. His kid wasn't getting a fair shake. Stanley Cup winner Lars Eller had to seek the help of a sports psychologist because of the unfair treatment by this ******ed management.

I for one am EXTREMELY excited to see Galchenyuk flourish in Arizona. Rick Tocchet is the one that helped Stamkos become who he is when no one thought he was an NHLer. For the first time in AG career he will have a real coach to work with. Now there may be some hard times ahead. Stamkos was a healthy scratch early on but if it ever happens at least it will be for the right reasons. To put it into perspective on why it didn't work out here for AG in Montreal, his two coaches were Michel Therrien who the Pittsburgh Penguins fired before going on to win the Stanley Cup and Claude Julien who ran goal scorer Phil Kessel and 21 year old superstar Tyler Seguin out of town.

Please take care of Alex Galechenyuk and really hoping your team pulls it together sooner rather than later. Good luck guys!
Thanks for the post. I feel better.

Reactions: Yandover and Peanut

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
About $600K savings for Galchenyuk on his $4.9 M deal.

Domi is paying $400K more in tax.

The equivalent take home offer for Domi would have been $2.450M.

OEL takes home a $1M per more than if he signed sane deal in Montreal.

So not a myth.

Hmm I should probably explain. Of course there are differences in taxes that is not a myth but I don't think this is what keeps a player from signing with a team is what I meant. For the longest time all I ever heard is that UFA don't want to sign in Montreal because of high taxes but Toronto and Ottawa pay just as much as do the California states like LA and Anaheim. New York pay over 50% in taxes and yet they are the premier destination for UFAs. Then you have european hockey players who can get away with paying taxes because this isn't their place of residence. Players also do a lot of charity work so that can also be added as a right off I'm sure. Plus millionaires can afford tax lawyers finding loopholes and what not. It's not just as simple as plugging a number into a tax calculator and it's not the deciding factor. Things like winning a cup, teammates and family circumstances should take priority assuming the salaries are comparable.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You add in cost of living and allowed tax deductions it gets mulch worse.
Depending on City it might not be that far apart on COL'ing. And I have no idea how health care costs work for Player and Family??? Canadian taxes on Capital Gains as an example are really beneficial to wealthy folks and housing in half the Canadian Cities is quite economical. Down the road University and schooling is probably quite a bit cheaper in most Canadian Cities.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hmm I should probably explain. Of course there are differences in taxes that is not a myth but I don't think this is what keeps a player from signing with a team is what I meant. For the longest time all I ever heard is that UFA don't want to sign in Montreal because of high taxes but Toronto and Ottawa pay just as much as do the California states like LA and Anaheim. New York pay over 50% in taxes and yet they are the premier destination for UFAs. Then you have european hockey players who can get away with paying taxes because this isn't their place of residence. Players also do a lot of charity work so that can also be added as a right off I'm sure. Plus millionaires can afford tax lawyers finding loopholes and what not. It's not just as simple as plugging a number into a tax calculator and it's not the deciding factor. Things like winning a cup, teammates and family circumstances should take priority assuming the salaries are comparable.
Oh I get that. The biggest issue with Montreal isn't taxes. It's your media.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I'm bummed out. Thought Domi was a Coyote for life. There was just something about his character and his quotes upon leaving here prove that. I will still wear my Domi jersey with pride, as I'm sure many others will. That being said I'm really excited for Galchenyuk. He's been a beast ever since I remember watching him in the World Juniors years back.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm bummed out. Thought Domi was a Coyote for life. There was just something about his character and his quotes upon leaving here prove that. I will still wear my Domi jersey with pride, as I'm sure many others will. That being said I'm really excited for Galchenyuk. He's been a beast ever since I remember watching him in the World Juniors years back.
I don't even remember you. Welcome back. Did you have another screen name? I'm bummed too. He was my favorite player, but the trade seems fair. Both players needed a change of scenery.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Which makes me ask: whatever happened to Art Vandelay? Or am I the victim of failing memory and a myriad of name changes over the years?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

He'll only pay $381,771 more! Peanuts!

What can you get for almost $400k?

One of these (without the girl)
image.jpg

This

jlc.jpg

nice

large_1173178.jpg

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Whoa long time no see @Vip
:P

Thanks guys. It's literally been years. Glad to see y'all still kicking around these forums. I have a good feeling about this upcoming season so I figured I will start showing face around here more often.

I don't even remember you. Welcome back. Did you have another screen name? I'm bummed too. He was my favorite player, but the trade seems fair. Both players needed a change of scenery.

Thank you. Years ago, I was Vipassana. Changed it to Vip. Had a number of avatars over the years though as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->