The Athletic Dom Luszczyszyn gives the Sabres offseason a B+

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Is the net value added win total based off the team's previous record? +2.6 wins (based on last year's record) would leave us with 67 points. If that's not dead last, it would certainly be close to it.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I was thinking more the $2.4+M/yr for 2-years contract. the 3rd round pick in itself is no big deal.
in hinsight it would have been preferable to give beaulieu a 2 year deal, but I doubt his agent was going to take anything less than that. These guys gotta eat.

this might sound crazy, because I really think beaulieu is awful, but maybe he finds a way to salvage the remainder of his contract here. Crazier things have happened and he is still young... some new guys in the dressing room could help. It seemed like he was playing with no confidence most of last season since he made so many explicitly terrible mistakes in his own end to start the year

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm staying cautiously optimistic. Which probably seems outrageously happy compared to the extreme pessimism of the boards here.

The there’s no pessimism.No one is doubting that everything will go according to his plan. It’s that plan that people like myself have a problem with.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'm much more optimistic than a 2-3 win improvement BUT it's July 19th and I'm always optimistic in the summer.

We did rid ourselves of some real dreck in Nolan, Pouliot, Josefson and Gorges. Beaulieu is probably in the press box or Rochester.

I don't like the ROR trade but we got 3 serviceable forwards, these guys have been on a solid team, coached by Hitchcock and Yeo, Sheary the same. This should have a good impact on the ice and off it. And we're adding a very quick skilled center in Mittelstadt who I think is going to be in the Calder hunt and Dahlin who within 2 months will be our best defenseman. The two goalies last season were absolute garbage, Ullmark and Hutton I think will be better than that - maybe we have some good fortune and they are markedly better.

Was I dreaming or did a team actually sign Jordan Nolan recently?

My prediction is we'll have the same point total as we did in Bylsma's first year, not a playoff team but we'll jump over a bunch of teams in the standings and we'll be kind of fun to watch.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I'm much more optimistic than a 2-3 win improvement BUT it's July 19th and I'm always optimistic in the summer.

We did rid ourselves of some real dreck in Nolan, Pouliot, Josefson and Gorges. Beaulieu is probably in the press box or Rochester.

I don't like the ROR trade but we got 3 serviceable forwards, these guys have been on a solid team, coached by Hitchcock and Yeo, Sheary the same. This should have a good impact on the ice and off it. And we're adding a very quick skilled center in Mittelstadt who I think is going to be in the Calder hunt and Dahlin who within 2 months will be our best defenseman. The two goalies last season were absolute garbage, Ullmark and Hutton I think will be better than that - maybe we have some good fortune and they are markedly better.

Was I dreaming or did a team actually sign Jordan Nolan recently?
St Louis did

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
If you read the article, it’s about the only thing we added that wasn’t just replacing stuff we already had.

Short version, he says RoR is possibly replaced by mitts. And the depth from the trade was expensive, and Berglund should be useful. And then it’s basically Sheary in for Kane. And then lower profile young guys.

And then there is a lot of words talking about Dahlin.

I read what was in the post, if there is more in the article than what was posted in the OP I wouldn't know.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I’d personally grade it as either a C- or a D, but the summer isn’t quite over yet.

Unsure if his grade factors in mitts for a full season and the draft with Dahlin added.

Sheary offense and Berglund Defense could be close to ROR.

Hutton better than lehner

Sobotka equivalent to pilot

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
It's almost as if one trade doesn't define a GM's management skills
tenor.gif

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Dom is not taking into account Mitts and Dahlin in his article. He shows the guys in and guys out. How come some people were all over Tierneys work but are not taking Dom’s work as equivalent? I am thinking this shows that the team has improved without involving Mitts and Dahlin into the equation.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
On one hand I agree that it isn't a great look that the Outs are mostly his own acquisitions.

On the other hand at least we know he's not married to "his guys" and is willing to cut his losses when he identifies his guys didn't do well

It almost sounds like the indictment reads: "Making the terrible decision to resign a goalie the previous GM traded a 1st for."

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad