NFL: Dolphins fire Adam Gase

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There’s a lot of people who were with the Broncos when Peyton Manning showed up that cant keep their job.

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Rap on NFL Network says that Ross felt the Dolphins should have won more games this year and been a playoff team based on roster Dolphins provided Gase

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Sadly, Ross, the owner is the biggest problem. He is more clueless than Joe Philbin. Its amazing they won 7 games with the roster & injuries. I said yesterday that there are things Gase does that annoy me, & I stand by that, but I still think given the right circumstances he can be a coaching star. if Peyton Manning swears by him, he must have some good qualities.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Dolphins will probably regret this by week three next year unless they hit a home run and have an amazing hire, but that's obviously not going to happen.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Supposedly Miami asked Gase to give up control over the 53 man roster and Gase refused (on basis he would get that control with another team) so Miami fired him. It makes sense they asked him to give that up as Miami wanted to streamline the football ops department with making Grier the sole person running football ops opposed to 3 different people running the show. On top of that apparently several Miami veterans refused to back Gase including Gore, Drake, Stills and Wake, it did seem he had lost the room with how awful they were playing in the final run of games.

Now obviously on paper Miami shouldn't have been a playoff team but at the same time they were truly awful down the stretch - they easily could have been 0-6 if it wasn't for the Miami miracle and Clay dropping an easy TD on the final play v Buffalo.

Personally I still think Gase will be a good HC and will find success and am disappointed Miami has moved on. But if he had lost the room and had refused to give up control over the 53 man roster then Miami had their hands tied and had to move on from him - you can only keep trading players away who clash with the HC for so long.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So who did Dolphin fans want at QB in 2nd half of season?

Osweiler sucked and Fales isn't a starting NFL QB

Should have kept Cutty for a year and drafted kid if Tannehill was that disliked by players in locker room. Not shocking that Tannehill isn't well liked remember the nonsense he pulled with rookie who made mistake

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would imagine Miami will be very low on coaching openings with potential candidates

1) Have to deal with Ross
2) Have a roster full of players who just got previous coach fired including by going directly to ownership to undermine him
3) The roster is not very talented

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unless the Dolphins made the playoffs, it wouldn't matter. And Cutler wouldn't have mattered. Would've been an extra $10M or whatever out of Ross' pockets. It's not a year to be drafting a QB early as it is.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Unless the Dolphins made the playoffs, it wouldn't matter. And Cutler wouldn't have mattered. Would've been an extra $10M or whatever out of Ross' pockets. It's not a year to be drafting a QB early as it is.

I meant keep Cutler for this season that just past (Cutting ties with Tannehill) and drafting a QB back in 2018 draft via a tradeup like Allen , Rosen or just grabbing Jackson who was available when they were set to draft

Say what you will but players in Miami seemed to get along with Cutler and he never caused a mutiny in locker room in his career

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I meant keep Cutler for this season that just past (Cutting ties with Tannehill) and drafting a QB back in 2018 draft via a tradeup like Allen , Rosen or just grabbing Jackson who was available when they were set to draft

Say what you will but players in Miami seemed to get along with Cutler and he never caused a mutiny in locker room in his career

Cutler was finished. He didn't even want to be playing last year. Tannehill was the guy they Gase was hired to work with, and only had a year prior to this. He didn't have the latitude to determine it was time to move on. If they've now decided to move on, then it's time to bring in new head coach as well. It frankly was never an ideal situation for either side, and they were fortunate to make the playoffs the one year they did.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Miami needs to find some reliable offensive and defensive linemen more then anything - there is actually quite a decent amount of talent on the roster thanks to solid drafting the last few seasons. The best thing Miami can do is find some reliable O and D line help this offseason both through FA and the draft - that will go a long way to helping the team.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Miami needs to find some reliable offensive and defensive linemen more then anything - there is actually quite a decent amount of talent on the roster thanks to solid drafting the last few seasons. The best thing Miami can do is find some reliable O and D line help this offseason both through FA and the draft - that will go a long way to helping the team.
I agree, but they also thought they did that this past offseason until the injury bug bit them badly.

Reactions: mightyquack

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I've never understood the fascination with Gase as a HC. NFL teams clearly feel differently though....

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
If they don't get rid of Tannehill then it won't really matter. The Jets arent really trending up but they atlest have a QB.

I certainly would argue they quit though. That stinker at home against an inept Jags team? Getting smoked by a Buffalo team they just beat a month ago, granted, they only won by the fact Chuckles Clay can't catch.

Just because they won more than they should have doesn't mean he's a decent coach.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ross should do the smart thing and cut Tannehill, make either Grier or Tannenbaum the final authority on football matters, and then F off and let the football guys do their job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->