Dog Bar appreciation thread

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
My poor cousin keeps injuring herself and going to the hospital so her boy Watson is on full security watch.

FB_IMG_1603493381497.jpg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Straight up. His breeding papers are like an NCAA b-ball tournament bracket. I never even heard of the breed till a few years ago. A friend introduced me to the breeder. Never saw an Aussie on the east coast

Edit: and he doesn’t like the groomer
Friend of mine had them in South Jersey. They moved to a farm in Tennessee to let the pups run more.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have a story to tell. It's a long one, but I promise you, it's a good one.

As some of you know, I lost my 18 year old Bichon, Chloe, on August 1st -- we had her since she was a pup, and she was our only pet for the last 13 of those years. Her last year+ was essentially hospice care, with an unmeasurably difficult last handful of months. Physically, mentally, emotionally, it was an exhausting experience. My family was in uncharted territory not having a dog for the first time, and while perhaps down the line a perfect situation would arise, it was all too fresh to seriously consider.

But a month later, after browsing adoption websites out of irrational subconscious need, we stumbled upon a 13 year old Bichon mix, Bella, who was at our local SPCA. We didn't really have a plan, but we decided to at least meet her.

Well, on the phone call with the SPCA, it turns out their listing of her wasn't exactly the most forthcoming. She had run away from her previous owner (who all but assuredly neglected her in many ways), never been spayed until the SPCA found her, had litters, was found severely matted with fleas and sores. And the kicker: because she was never spayed, she had two chains of mammary tumors. Not exactly the perfect situation in mind.

We decided to meet Bella anyway to at least give her some attention and a respite from the kennel. Of course she was an absolute sweetheart who we took to right away, with a demeanor and appearance half her age, but there was a lot to consider. We didn't know if the mammary tumors were cancerous, and the SPCA was not going to perform surgery on her. So, we would have to adopt this 13 year old lady not knowing if she had cancer. For mammary tumors, generally 50% are benign, but even cancerous ones can have a good prognosis if removed. And without surgery, even a benign tumor can turn cancerous later on. It weighed on us deeply over the next day -- that this sweet girl might not actually find a home. Maybe we were it.

As I'm sure you've gathered, the day after (September 12th) we threw caution to the wind and adopted Bella. Her blood panel came back nearly perfect, 2 different vets semi-seriously wondered if she was actually 13 years old, her ultrasound didn't show anything spreading, and 2 weeks ago she had her first of two surgeries to remove the masses. Last week, after the biopsy, the chain they took out was revealed to be benign. She will have her second surgery in a few months. There's a few minor behavioral issues we are working through (primarily interacting with other animals -- dogs, deer, squirrels, everything not human basically!), but she's been remarkably adaptable and affectionate, and it already feels like we've had her for years. Hopefully, she enjoys her stay in our forever retirement home.

Voila!

WgCgTpR.jpg

G00IvjE.jpg

p6ra638.jpg

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

As some of you know, I lost my 18 year old Bichon, Chloe, on August 1st -- we had her since she was a pup, and she was our only pet for the last 13 of those years. Her last year+ was essentially hospice care, with an unmeasurably difficult last handful of months. Physically, mentally, emotionally, it was an exhausting experience. My family was in uncharted territory not having a dog for the first time, and while perhaps down the line a perfect situation would arise, it was all too fresh to seriously consider.

But a month later, after browsing adoption websites out of irrational subconscious need, we stumbled upon a 13 year old Bichon mix, Bella, who was at our local SPCA. We didn't really have a plan, but we decided to at least meet her.

Well, on the phone call with the SPCA, it turns out their listing of her wasn't exactly the most forthcoming. She had run away from her previous owner (who all but assuredly neglected her in many ways), never been spayed until the SPCA found her, had litters, was found severely matted with fleas and sores. And the kicker: because she was never spayed, she had two chains of mammary tumors. Not exactly the perfect situation in mind.

We decided to meet Bella anyway to at least give her some attention and a respite from the kennel. Of course she was an absolute sweetheart who we took to right away, with a demeanor and appearance half her age, but there was a lot to consider. We didn't know if the mammary tumors were cancerous, and the SPCA was not going to perform surgery on her. So, we would have to adopt this 13 year old lady not knowing if she had cancer. For mammary tumors, generally 50% are benign, but even cancerous ones can have a good prognosis if removed. And without surgery, even a benign tumor can turn cancerous later on. It weighed on us deeply over the next day -- that this sweet girl might not actually find a home. Maybe we were it.

As I'm sure you've gathered, the day after (September 12th) we threw caution to the wind and adopted Bella. Her blood panel came back nearly perfect, 2 different vets semi-seriously wondered if she was actually 13 years old, her ultrasound didn't show anything spreading, and 2 weeks ago she had her first of two surgeries to remove the masses. Last week, after the biopsy, the chain they took out was revealed to be benign. She will have her second surgery in a few months. There's a few minor behavioral issues we are working through (primarily interacting with other animals -- dogs, deer, squirrels, everything not human basically!), but she's been remarkably adaptable and affectionate, and it already feels like we've had her for years. Hopefully, she enjoys her stay in our forever retirement home.

Voila!

WgCgTpR.jpg

G00IvjE.jpg

p6ra638.jpg

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your previous dog, I don’t remember if I knew about it or not but having gone through that back in April I have a feeling for how difficult it must have been for you.

It sounds like you got something great with the new girl. She’s adorable for starters, and the health news seems great. It’s wonderful that you were willing to take a chance on her and I’m sure she’s going to be a very happy girl in her new home.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Voila!

WgCgTpR.jpg

G00IvjE.jpg

p6ra638.jpg
Omg that last one

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Voila!

WgCgTpR.jpg

G00IvjE.jpg

p6ra638.jpg

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad