Speculation: Does Winnipeg media put Evander Kane above the team?

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
Dearest GOD, ANOTHER Kane thread. I know, and i apologize, but it was a response to a question i asked in the GDT that got me to thinking, or realizing, that the media's first and foremost concern is Kane, and then the Coach, AND THEN, the team.

Discuss, and be nice ;)

seasontixholder*

Kane is a magnet because he does do some dumb things, so he gets extra attention. But he doesn't hurt anyone so I could careless. But I do think the media, Lawless in particular, has a hate on for him. That doesn't help him at all.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The media is spending their time trying to figure out how to get hits on their articles, or selling papers. They have no concern, or mandate to inform, or to provide useful information to the public. If they did, maybe we would get information about actual hockey issues.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know what the media's "first and foremost concern" is.

But they wouldn't be doing their job if they ignored the fact that The Natural has been a healthy scratch twice this season by two coaches.

I don't agree with everything that is said in the media regarding Kane, but #9 certainly is "newsworthy"...

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Sports media in general largely base their perception (and subsequently the narrative) of a player on how available and affable that player is with the media. They do the same with coaches, GM's, owners.

Our market is a textbook example. Just look at Pavelec's treatment by the media vs Kane, Byfuglien, even Wheeler's.

Sad, but these "journalists" are often compromised by what amounts to asskissing.

adrenaline

Mar 8, 2011
Kane is a lighting rod for past misdeeds.

I think they would be stupid to get rid of him. He has alot of skill that can help this team if he is surrounded with talent that compliments what he has.

He's 22 (or 23?) so he is still very young. He has been playing since he was 18 and is making alot of money. I'm betting him on continuing to mature.

Being scratched for the last game could me he missed a meeting or arrived late to the pre-skate.

The media should be focusing on why the team isn't able to consistently play hard and win games.. I think you go to look at the leadership of the team and that starts with Ladd.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
The media should be focusing on why the team isn't able to consistently play hard and win games.. I think you go to look at the leadership of the team and that starts with Ladd.

Honestly, I don't think our "leadership" is really an issue. I think our net issues are holding us back and our depth is concerning but I really wouldn't blame leadership

With regards to the media, I agree. I don't think it's "Kane>Coach>team" so much as "current hot-button issue>coach>team". It's usually Buff or Kane, but its whatever narrative the Jets reporters have decided to push.

Really, I just wish our media had some shred of professionalism and stopped badgering the poor kid. The "Kane on his way out?" narrative is in full effect, for no other reason, as far as I can tell, than to drive up their page hits. It annoys me, both because I like Kane as a player and I really don't see the point in trading him. If they aren't going to be more careful and analytical about it, I'd at least appreciate moving on to the next non-issue.

I know some people here are starting to give up on his development, but like Burmi before him, that seems to stem from an HFboards tendency to expect 22yr olds to set the world on fire. Which is odd to say the least, coming from a prospects board, where I'd expect patience.

Personally, I liked Elliote Friedman's take on it in his "30 thoughts" column. Hopefully this is the right thread for it, it's nice to get out of the Winnipeg media bubble and get a top-notch reporter's take on the situation:

Friedman said:
Here is the list of current NHL players who scored 30 goals in a season at age 20: Alexander Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos, Ryan Smyth, Jaromir Jagr, Jonathan Toews, Evgeni Malkin, Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron, Marian Gaborik.

And Evander Kane.

Paul Maurice knew what would happen when he scratched Kane in Toronto over the weekend, especially since he felt it was important to play his "best lineup" even though the Jets were out of the playoff race. But it doesn't necessarily mean this story ends with the most obvious conclusion -- a trade out of Manitoba.

Even if that's what Kane really wants.

There have always been questions about how strong this marriage really is. Kane signed just before business closed prior to the 2012 lockout. It was a bit of a surprise, as earlier that day, there was a belief things wouldn't get done. He's under contract for four more seasons at a cap hit of $5.25 million US, although his salary rises above that number.

He played hard through a bad wrist once play resumed - on-pace for 29 goals over a full season. This year's been a disappointment, although there would be plenty of bidders if he were available.

There is strong statistical evidence Kane is entering the prime scoring years of his NHL career. That's a very good contract for a player of his ability. From the list above, only Bergeron and Gaborik had a lower cap hit on their second contracts. (Jagr and Smyth not included. Different era.)

Kane is 22. Every organization's biggest enemy today is patience, both internal and external. Montreal fans wanted Carey Price traded because they thought he was immature. What if that had happened? Philadelphia felt it had very legitimate reasons to trade Jeff Carter and Mike Richards. The Flyers got some real good players in return, but Los Angeles took the chance on both (eventually) and it paid off with a Stanley Cup.

It just shows you how hard it is to win trades once a team decides it absolutely must get rid of someone -- especially if that player has established himself as a true NHLer. If other clubs feel you're in a position of weakness, it's worse. Teams now have to ask themselves if they really tried all available options before giving up on skilled young talent.

(...)

Read the rest here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...kane-too-valuable-for-jets-to-give-up-on.html

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad