Speculation: Does Vegas trading for Pacioretty remove them from the Karlsson sweepstakes?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Only thing that would land them Karlsson would likely be this:
Vegas 1st 2019
Vegas 3rd 2019/2nd 2020
Cody Glass
Cody Eakin
Nicolas Hague

The only untouchable here is Cody Glass. Only way Vegas would consider trading him might be for a guy like Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby, which is translated to likely never. I also believe Glass is an amazing fit for Vegas and there couldn't be a better team to have him.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Don't see why they couldn't
They have the cap space to still take on both (they would have to free up money for this year) but they only need to clear 4.25, of course that doesn't include whatever Theodores new Contract will be. But in just about any Trade for Karlsson & Ryan they would dump pretty close to that.
But don't see them willing to part with Glass or Brannstrom now.

To me it comes down to the situation in Ottawa, Either they are so adamant to dump Ryan, they are willing to take a deal that doesn't include Glass/Brannstrom as Vegas is about the only team able to take on both, or they realize nobody will take on Ryan, and it drags out to the TDL, where his value isn't worth a Brannstrom/Glass type

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Hypothetically I’d say so because they would be really gambling with their future to trade more prospects

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Dorian has gotta be the worst gm in the league. Atleast Bergevin got a high end prospect for patches.
As soon as Dorian realizes bobby Ryan has negative value then Karlsson will be dealt. Dorians first duty shouldn’t be to get the best assets he can get. He needs to somehow get some decent assets that can help the team win this year so they don’t win the lottery and give Colorado the Hughes sweepstakes.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dorian has gotta be the worst gm in the league. Atleast Bergevin got a high end prospect for patches.
As soon as Dorian realizes bobby Ryan has negative value then Karlsson will be dealt. Dorians first duty shouldn’t be to get the best assets he can get. He needs to somehow get some decent assets that can help the team win this year so they don’t win the lottery and give Colorado the Hughes sweepstakes.
This is what everybody is thinking,but we dont really have a clue as to what may or may not happen in Ottawa...The media blackout continues as PD isnt taking any interviews

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Vegas just moved Tatar and a key Prospect in Suzuki to Montreal for Pacioretty. Does this move mean they have given up on the Karlsson front? If they extend Pacioretty, it will be for big money and term. Will they then be willing to sign Karlsson for an even bigger contract? If they don't re-sign Pax, they are giving up some nice pieces to get him, so it doesn't seem likely they would also give up more prospects and picks for an un-signed Karlsson and risk mortgaging a chunk of their future for a one year "all-in" approach.

Also, considering Vegas was rumored to be a key player in the Karlsson (or Karlsson + Ryan) derby, does this deal mean they have pulled out of a Karlsson deal as a plan B due to a Karlsson traded inching closer with another team?

Thoughts?
Kept their first.
So no.
But this makes it more unlikely imo.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That's just it though. I think Vegas believe they're a team in that kind of position where Patches will put them over the top.

But I think they're waaaaay off the mark with that evaluation. To me they're a bubble team even after getting Patches. And quite frankly a bubble team that I expect will miss the playoffs next year. On paper I like Edmonton, Calgary, LA, and San Jose more then Vegas in the Pacific next year.

Valid point. Pax alone isn't a game changer, although it's an improvement. Karlsson (extended) would be a game changer but it would demolish VGK's farm and much of the cheap youth. It also seems like Suzuki was a chip that Ottawa was interested in, so I'm just wondering if Ottawa told Vegas the deal wasn't happening so they shopped Suzuki in a deal for Pax??

I think Vegas rode the perfect storm into the SC final last year.
I don’t see that happening again.

Yeah, I feel the same as all of you. Don't get me wrong, I think Vegas has a good team with young talent, but I don't think they are perennial contenders for the conference final every year. My opinion is they will round out to a bubble team now that the chip on their shoulder, expectations, and beating the Vegas high will all become non factors this next season. I still expect them to play a good brand of responsible hockey, and Patches in the fold will give them that replacement for Neal, I just don't get the career timing for either Max or LV to make this trade.

If I'm LV and was looking for an explosive winger to replace Neal I would have gone the Hoffman route instead. I could even justify a Karlsson pickup as he's generational. That's the guy you empty the coffers and clear out the prospect pool for, even though he is getting long in the tooth as well. Vegas is an exciting team, but I really thought McPhee was going to have the discipline to stay the course, and it appears he's not going to be as patient as I thought. I'm all for them to succeed and grow the game there as I have no dog in the West race. Just found this surprising for sure.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
IMO, Vegas lost two key contributors in Neal and Perron and replaced them with Pacioretty and Stastny. Yes, and improvement, but I don't think it significantly made them a lot better. They also now just lost Tatar. I think for Vegas to be competitive for the duration, they need young, cheap, impact players like Suzuki, Tuch, Glass, Theodore, Brannstrom and Hague making the team in the next year or two. They just bailed on Suzuki and if they nuke 2 or 3 more of them for Karlsson, they are gambling big-time (no pun attended).

Tatar was no loss. Max and Paulie are obvious upgrades on what they had, so I don't think they lose anything there, but they were dealt a massive blow with the suspension to their best D.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Tatar was no loss. Max and Paulie are obvious upgrades on what they had, so I don't think they lose anything there, but they were dealt a massive blow with the suspension to their best D.

This.. Tatar had the hardest time fitting in (understandably, its not easy) and even got scratched a few times... losing Tatar is the least of VGK's concerns.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Given the absurdity of the asking Price, I think every team is out until it's lowered a bit.
And what did you think Patches was worth?

How did the actual return match up to your expert opinion?

Or the Duchene return? How close were you on that one?

Still confident that the asking price for one of the top players in the NHL is absurd?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
They absolutely still have the pieces to make a deal work.

Assuming Glass is untouchable (now that Suzuki is gone and they don't have much at C for the future) they could still move Theodore/Miller + Tuch/Haula + Hague/Brannstrom + Picks. I believe they could also still add Ryan's deal, which would help keep the price low enough that they could still be considered the "favourites".

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
No need to include Ryan in any Karlsson deals anymore because if Karlsson is traded Stone and Duchene are probably leaving/traded too, so Ottawa has to get to the cap floor somehow if a trade with VGK does happen Ottawa probably gets Clarkson sent to them.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
And what did you think Patches was worth?

How did the actual return match up to your expert opinion?

Or the Duchene return? How close were you on that one?

Still confident that the asking price for one of the top players in the NHL is absurd?

At first I would have thought Borgstrom and a 2nd. Pacs with the extension.

As it dragged on i was hoping just Borgstrom and the last little episode i figured similar to what Skinner got.

Duchene got more than what i expected, but that's also because Ottawa moved Turris and they (avs) got more back from Nashville that just seems to be collectively. Will seem like less if Ottawa can finish outside the top 10.

People on here seem to think when a superstar is traded they're going to bring back a king's ransom and then some.

Teams will pay up for Karlsson and Ottawa should get a nice return, but it wont be from what is rumored to be asked. If someone does, good on Dorion, but that other GM should be fired and barred immediately.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well they probably can't take Ryan anymore. Pacioretty extension, plus the W.Karlsson extension on the horizon, plus E.Karlsson would take around 10 million, and maybe 12 million.

But, lots of teams don't want to take Ryan. Vegas just has to be like them and offer a deal for Erik alone. Even then though, there's got to be a limit to all the assets they ship out. I think these pieces for Pacioertty were maybe intended in a Karlsson trade but the thing fell apart.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Realistic Karlsson to Vegas trade that still works cap wise for Vegas:

:sens
David Clarkson
Nate Schmidt
Alex Tuch
Nicolas Hague
2019 1st
2020 2nd

:vegas
Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Vegas has pretty unlimited cap for a small period because of their method of drafting / putting the team together. Doubt it effects EK.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I think he'll be dealt as a rental but would be stunned if EK doesn't get to free agency he'll want to weigh all his options and see the numbers people are offering.

Vegas is very much in play for this scenario.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Realistic Karlsson to Vegas trade that still works cap wise for Vegas:

:sens
David Clarkson
Nate Schmidt
Alex Tuch
Nicolas Hague
2019 1st
2020 2nd

:vegas
Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan
You realize Bobby Ryan is a dump from OTT, not a target by Vegas. The price doesn’t increase because Ryan is included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->