Does this WJC change your opinion on Canada's hockey superiority?

Has your opinion on Hockey Canada Changed?

• Yes Hockey USA is a threat and Canada needs to do something.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • No Canada will continue to be #1 in breeding hockey talent and be top of the stage.

Votes: 56 93.3%
  • Yes. Canada will fall outside of the top 2 nations.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Undecided Lets wait for the next real olympics. Before I change my mind.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I thought going in that Canada is the clear #1 hockey nation but the Canadian media behaves as though they're the only team in the tournament. The landscape is such that other countries can win any given tournament.

This tournament only reinforced all three of those things.

This is flat out hilarious. Canadian media, in a typically Canadian fashion, goes out of it's way to pump and talk about other countries. The EXACT opposite of the American media.

TSN recently had a top 50 World Junior goals. There were hardly any Canadian goals featured. The same thing in the USA would have had 55 of the goals by USA players. LOL

Your comment is ridiculous and despite me doing so doesn't even deserve a response. LOL LOL

btw - why in the world should the Canadian media do anything but talk about Canada anyway? Matter of fact they drive many of us crazy with their reverse xenophobia.

btw2 - why are you watching the Canadian media anyway with all of the 'grate' USA television? LOL LOL LOL LOL

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is flat out hilarious. Canadian media, in a typically Canadian fashion, goes out of it's way to pump and talk about other countries. The EXACT opposite of the American media.

TSN recently had a top 50 World Junior goals. There were hardly any Canadian goals featured. The same thing in the USA would have had 55 of the goals by USA players. LOL

Your comment is ridiculous and despite me doing so doesn't even deserve a response. LOL LOL

btw - why in the world should the Canadian media do anything but talk about Canada anyway? Matter of fact they drive many of us crazy with their reverse xenophobia.

btw2 - why are you watching the Canadian media anyway with all of the 'grate' USA television? LOL LOL LOL LOL
NHL Network in the US literally just feeds over TSN so I'm fully aware of how you're lying.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
It is still obvious that Canada has and produces the most top end hockey talent of any country in the world. However in years past they had the majority of the top end talent, whereas today they have a plurality.

I doubt they will lose their plurality of top end talent any time in the near future, but I can see the US and other countries catching up just a little.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I wonder if it could be a matter of time just because of how much bigger the USA population is. Not anytime but soon, but in 10-20 years? Might be pretty close.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It didn't change anything for me. Hockey Canada being complacent for far too long and the USNTDP doing a terrific job in the last decade+ at fostering elite talent has been plainly obvious.

Canada will always have a large talent pool to draw from. They don't do a particularly good job of recognizing and developing the cream of that crop. There's a reason more and more of our kids are choosing the NCAA route rather than the CHL. The CHL is not a developmental league, it exists to make money. Just a matter of time until the USA catches up and indeed eventually passes Canada.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That shouldn't change for a while, because hockey should never be a top sport in USA. However, due to a very big population, there's still a lot of kids playing hockey, almost as much as Canada now so they might eventually surpass Canada. Their programs look quite strong too.

Other hockey countries have either a very small population or non-favorable socio-economical conditions (Russia, CR)

Ice hockey players in the world | Statista

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
No. I'm pretty sure if the WJC was a 7 game (or 5 game) series Canada would win every single year. A single game is not enough to make any assumptions off of.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I like the fact that other contries are getting better (it's good for the sport!) like USA and Russia (and also Germany, Switzerland, etc)

But as of right now, Team Canada is still smoking the rest of the World in a Best On Best Contest.

I don't see that still being true in 10 years tho, at this pace.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
What happens in a one game elimination does not concern me a whole lot. 1 break one way or the other can change everything. The US is getting better and better though. It is innevitable that they will pass Canada eventually. They have 10 times the population.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I wonder if it could be a matter of time just because of how much bigger the USA population is. Not anytime but soon, but in 10-20 years? Might be pretty close.

There is certainly some truth to this just simply based on population but I will point out that I and my friends were saying the exact same thing in the 1980's.

On a separate note, it is intriguing how much attention the Canadian media pays to the other countries involved in the tournament, I appreciate that in general Canadians are very humble in this regard though it would be nice to see a bit more of a focus on our own countries team.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
93% say no........fairly clear how HFB sees it. Lopsided result. Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad