Speculation: Does This Team Have A Mandate To Not Start Fights Or Engage in "Extracurriculars?"

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
There’s the sticky wicket of it all right here. Why are the Leafs bothering to go out of their way to get these tough and gritty guys if they won’t allow them to play that way at all?

I really wonder what Hyman would look like if he developed on another team.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I remember JT and Matthews getting hit blind side including Rielly and nobody did F-all on this team.

On top of that Freddy was run over so many times but this team didn't do F-all.

@Cynical above lays it out clearly. At least grab a few players when Simmonds or someone else is going at it.

Just look at the puck flip video from Muzzin; and look at the Leafs players in that video....

Gotta ask the question, has Matty stepped up for anyone else? Can't expect guys to do it for him if he won't do it for others.

Not trying to signal out Matthews either as he's probably one of the more angrier guys from our core (which isn't saying much). It's definitely a culture thing with this team though and unfortunately I don't think it will ever change. If being abused by the Bruins multiple times in the playoffs isn't enough to make you grow a spine I don't think they ever will. Obviously I don't want other teams running our guys, but it would be interesting to see how our big 4 would react if Marchand started punching them like he did to D. Sedin in the playoffs.

Reactions: KingPapi

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I love all these " I played the game stories". If you have the played the game and they take out a Hyman type and you do nothing? wtf are you doing.

This team needs to grow a pair and fast

I can't remember exactly who it was, but Ryan Reaves smoked someone earlier in the season, and the opposition got right up in his grill and started pushing him around.

A few whacks. A face wash. A push or two.

Sometimes it's not even about dropping the gloves, but about showing some damn pushback. You don't need to dress 18 goons every night, but you do need to stick up for each other.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think it was Dubas that said "Our retaliation is our Powerplay". If we went around taking instigator penalties or getting the extra 2 for roughing it hurts us on the scoreboard. I do understand that point and it does make sense (the current PP struggles notwithstanding)

Muzzin has the perfect idea flip the puck at Kachook after the end of the game.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's a mystery that I can't figure out, hockey is a high intensity, high speed and highly emotional game, collisions happen as a matter of course. From the time you enter any kind of "rep" hockey, physical intimidation becomes as big a tactic as running a flawless breakout or PK. While there is a certain lack of physicality in todays game because of rule changes and league policy("Gary Bettmans' Americans don't like fighting" mantra). I really have no idea how or why you'd pull in the horns when the opponent is hammering you all over the ice, but the Leafs seem to do it and other teams seemingly don't. I am not talking about "throwin 'em" and becoming todays version of the Philthy Flyers, I'm talking about playing tough physical hockey, using the boards as a separator, open ice hits when the opportunity presents itself, a hard forecheck, and "protecting" the crease, but they just don't.

The only logical conclusion is that the team mandates they play it close to the vest and avoid the physical side of the game as much as possible. That thing with Hyman, if it had been me playing, the next opportunity that came up to crush Hughes or Tanev would've been taken, screw the roughing/boarding call.

Reactions: mrbagina

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad