Does This Shed Any Light on the NHL's Revenue Sharing Plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabbyDugan

Jun 8, 2004
In it's lengthy proposal to the NHL about a month ago, the NHLPA laid out a very detailed revenue sharing plan. As I recall, part of the NHLPA proposal was that Canadian teams on aggregate would end up contributing about $17 million more dollars than they would be taking out of the plan.

In its response, the NHL agreed that revenue sharing would be implemented in the future, and declared that the league had more than 30 revenue sharing proposals of its own. However, the NHL did not provide any details in its public response to the union's proposal.

Now, my personal opinion is that revenue sharing is a bit of a red herring in this CBA. I know many of my fellow Oiler fans have high hopes of revenues generated in the big markets coming back to Edmonton along with suddenly affordable but still very useful UFA players, but I'm pretty doubtful that a new CBA is going to lead to either of these developments.

Now, I'm not sure why Larry Brooks' most recent column didn't grab everyone's attention in this section of the boards already, but his January 2 article in the NY Post makes some pretty shocking claims about the NHL's plans for revenue sharing.

First of all, he claims the pool will be between $ 80-95 million. I'm not sure exactly where the money that goes into the pool is coming from, and Mr. Brooks does not elaborate on this. I don't even know if we can assume that this is in addition to the 9% of revenues already shared (national TV revenues in Canada and the USA, licensed products, etc.).

At any rate, Mr. Brooks provides some details on the restrictions that will be placed on teams before they can access these shared revenues. Again, I have not seen any of these details anywhere else, so I don't know if Mr. Brooks is giving us solid information or just providing more grist for the overactive NHL rumour mill. However, if teams in television Designated Market Areas of 2.5 million households are permanently locked out of the plan, that would mean teams like Anaheim (as mentioned by Brooks) and several others would never be able to collect from revenue sharing. Kind of makes it useless in Chicago, where Bill Wirtz refuses to reach out to viewers in his local Designated Market Area.

The stipulation that teams must play to at least 80% capacity to receive shared revenues makes sense, but that bumps a lot of the bottom 10 revenue teams out of the plan, leaving Atlanta and Florida as the only recipients had the formula been applied to last season.

Once again, I'll emphasize that my personal opinion is that revenue sharing is a bogus issue in the ongoing CBA battle, but I know many people , including some Canadian NHL fans, expect revenue sharing to benefit Canadian teams. Frankly, I think there is no hope of that whatsoever. Already the money Canadian networks like the CBC and TSN pay for NHL rights is flowing 80.0% into US -based NHL teams, and the new American TV deals provide little revenue that flows back to Canadian teams. If what Brooks says is even partially true, any new shared revenue plans that the NHL has in store will take even more money and put it in the hands of teams like Florida and Atlanta....

Long term, Canada' NHL franchises are going to pump money into US teams to prop them up in a 30 team NHL. Frankly, I'd just as soon see NHL money that is generated in Canada stay in Canada instead of being put in the pockets of billionaires in Atlanta and Miami. If Edmonton has to give up money once it reaches the playoffs, I'd just as soon see an NHL team back in Winnipeg propped up by the "surplus" Canadian NHL dollars. Why should I want my CBC dollars and playoff ticket dollars go to Atlanta when I never even get to see Kovalchuk or Heatley play on HNIC anyways?

http://nypost.com/sports/37600.htm

"NHL PLAN FULL OF MYTH PRINTS"

Last edited:

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
GabbyDugan said:
Once again, I'll emphasize that my personal opinion is that revenue sharing is a bogus issue in the ongoing CBA battle, but I know many people , including some Canadian NHL fans, expect revenue sharing to benefit Canadian teams. Frankly, I think there is no hope of that whatsoever. Already the money Canadian networks like the CBC and TSN pay for NHL rights is flowing 80.0% into US -based NHL teams, and the new American TV deals provide little revenue that flows back to Canadian teams. If what Brooks says is even partially true, any new shared revenue plans that the NHL has in store will take even more money and put it in the hands of teams like Florida and Atlanta....

At least some of it is accurate. The NHLPA proposal indicates the 80% number was part of the owner's plan. For their revenue sharing plan, they assume all teams will make the number.

(They probably will. The only good news in the plan is that low revenue teams will be slashing prices to get above 80%. That's not good news for the players though, because if we assume these teams are now pricing to maximise revenue, the result will these teams will make less money from ticket sales. The result will work to reduce league revenues! Teams that are in the middle third may also have an incentive to under-report revenues.)

There is a lot of information in the NHLPA report including the fact that the regular season gap between the richest team (the Leafs) and the poorest team (Nashville) is $76 million US. If Brooks is right about the Nashville number, Toronto has regular season revenues of $118 million. How profitable will they be under a $38 million cap?

I don't think it is fair to call revenue sharing a bogus issue. It is critical. The gap between rich and poor grows every year and is the source of any real problems that do exist. What on earth do you do in a league where the gap is that much and players get free agency at some point in their career?

The NHL solution is to peg salaries to the lowest common denominator, provide pretend revenue sharing and expect the players to work for what the poorest team can afford to pay. Naturally, they resist.

The NHLPA proposes a revenue sharing plan that has the rich teams give money to the poorest teams instead of to the players. The NHL figure that won't change much on the salary front because what the rich teams cut, the poor teams will spend. Naturally, they resist.

The NHLPA wants to solve any problems that spring from revenue disparities with revenue sharing. The NHL wants to solve any problems with salary cuts.

Me, I don't think there is a competitive balance problem as long as the spending power is limited by late free agency and I would ignore both the revenue and payroll disparities. I think there are two teams - Toronto and New York - that can afford to spend, win or lose. Everyone else can afford to spend if they win, and can't if they don't. The spending power generated by market size doesn't mean much if you can't buy a winner. As a result, the playoff pool goes a long way to reducing the disparities between large and small markets.

I think you are absolutely right about the Canadian factor. Under this system, only Ottawa would have received money last year. Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary would have paid out money. Edmonton is a wash, but more likely to pay than receive if Cal Nichols is telling the truth about Oiler revenues. They will pay when they make the playoffs and break even when they don't.

The idea that this is a plan for Canadian hockey fans is a tribute to the NHL marketing machine. It means that Canadian fans will be providing even more of a subsidy to weak American franchises. If we have to subsidise franchises somewhere, I think we would all prefer that they be weak Canadian franchises.

I don't expect anyone else to pick up on the Brooks comment. I wish there was a lot more discussion in the media on the NHL plan and the kind of league it will create. I think the owners would lose a lot of their support.

Tom

Wetcoaster

txomisc said:
can anyone explain to me how legally its any of the NHLPA's business how the league shares money amongst its teams?

Because it is subject of CBA negotiation as it is in the NFL, NBA and MLB.

Wetcoaster

GabbyDugan said:
In it's lengthy proposal to the NHL about a month ago, the NHLPA laid out a very detailed revenue sharing plan. As I recall, part of the NHLPA proposal was that Canadian teams on aggregate would end up contributing about $17 million more dollars than they would be taking out of the plan.

In its response, the NHL agreed that revenue sharing would be implemented in the future, and declared that the league had more than 30 revenue sharing proposals of its own. However, the NHL did not provide any details in its public response to the union's proposal.

Now, my personal opinion is that revenue sharing is a bit of a red herring in this CBA. I know many of my fellow Oiler fans have high hopes of revenues generated in the big markets coming back to Edmonton along with suddenly affordable but still very useful UFA players, but I'm pretty doubtful that a new CBA is going to lead to either of these developments.

Now, I'm not sure why Larry Brooks' most recent column didn't grab everyone's attention in this section of the boards already, but his January 2 article in the NY Post makes some pretty shocking claims about the NHL's plans for revenue sharing.

First of all, he claims the pool will be between $ 80-95 million. I'm not sure exactly where the money that goes into the pool is coming from, and Mr. Brooks does not elaborate on this. I don't even know if we can assume that this is in addition to the 9% of revenues already shared (national TV revenues in Canada and the USA, licensed products, etc.).

At any rate, Mr. Brooks provides some details on the restrictions that will be placed on teams before they can access these shared revenues. Again, I have not seen any of these details anywhere else, so I don't know if Mr. Brooks is giving us solid information or just providing more grist for the overactive NHL rumour mill. However, if teams in television Designated Market Areas of 2.5 million households are permanently locked out of the plan, that would mean teams like Anaheim (as mentioned by Brooks) and several others would never be able to collect from revenue sharing. Kind of makes it useless in Chicago, where Bill Wirtz refuses to reach out to viewers in his local Designated Market Area.

The stipulation that teams must play to at least 80% capacity to receive shared revenues makes sense, but that bumps a lot of the bottom 10 revenue teams out of the plan, leaving Atlanta and Florida as the only recipients had the formula been applied to last season.

Long term, Canada' NHL franchises are going to pump money into US teams to prop them up in a 30 team NHL. Frankly, I'd just as soon see NHL money that is generated in Canada stay in Canada instead of being put in the pockets of billionaires in Atlanta and Miami. If Edmonton has to give up money once it reaches the playoffs, I'd just as soon see an NHL team back in Winnipeg propped up by the "surplus" Canadian NHL dollars. Why should I want my CBC dollars and playoff ticket dollars go to Atlanta when I never even get to see Kovalchuk or Heatley play on HNIC anyways?
http://nypost.com/sports/37600.htm
"NHL PLAN FULL OF MYTH PRINTS"
The National Hockey League continues to be vague about its plans for revenue sharing if it gets its way in CBA negotiations with the players. But the league's vision of a "revenue sharing pool that will be funded primarily by a portion of revenues generated in the Stanley Cup playoffs" may be one of the key reasons the big spending, high revenue teams have bought into Commissioner Gary Bettman's cost certainty mantra.

Bettman has mentioned on several ocassions that he envisions only play-off revenues being shared. Bill Daly mentioned the same thing recently when he said:

"[W]e believe enhanced revenue-sharing will be an important adjunct to a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, and can serve to reduce disparities among high- and low-revenue teams. The pool of revenue that can be used for enhanced revenue sharing can be derived from a variety of sources, including, in particular, revenues generated in the Stanley Cup Playoffs; it doesn't necessarily have to be sourced exclusively from high-revenue teams."

The league confirmed it was still on that path in that recently leaked memo, in which Daly wrote: "we envision a revenue sharing pool that will be funded primarily by a portion of revenues generated in the Stanley Cup playoffs."

High revenue teams would be adamantly opposed to sharing revenues generally as is done in other sports. Bettman would be fired if he tried to impose that. By putting forward play-off revenue sharing it is the only way to sell it to the owners and keep his job.

Here's how Vartan Kupelian and Mike O'Hara of the Detroit News once explained how the Red Wings might view sharing their money:

"You don’t want revenue sharing because you don’t want to send money down to Nashville, Florida or Carolina. Why would you? You’ve done your business well, hired the right people at the right times and put them in the right positions. But those teams — Nashville, Florida, Carolina and others — are going to the NHL and Ilitch with hats in hand."

Under the NHLPA's revenue sharing proposal, the Red Wings ($7.9 million), Toronto ($10.9 million), Dallas ($9.9 million), Colorado ($8.9 million), Philadelphia ($6.9 million) and the New York Rangers ($6.0) million would combine to send $50.5 million to lower revenue teams. There is no way that Bettman can sell that and keep his job.

But in the NHL's revenue sharing plan, Bettman appeases high revenue teams with the plan to use money from the Stanley Cup Playoffs as the primary source of funding for a revenue sharing pool and leave local and regular revenues alone. Under this plan Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary could be sending money to Chicago.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
Because it is subject of CBA negotiation as it is in the NFL, NBA and MLB.

that doesnt really help but thanks for the answer
revenue sharing is between owners and owners and neither helps nor hurts players. Is it simply because theyve decided it something to include in cbas or does anyone know if the league wants to revenue share they are legally bound to declare that in their agreement with the players association.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
txomisc said:
that doesnt really help but thanks for the answer
revenue sharing is between owners and owners and neither helps nor hurts players. Is it simply because theyve decided it something to include in cbas or does anyone know if the league wants to revenue share they are legally bound to declare that in their agreement with the players association.

Somebody else is better qualified to answer that then I am. I don't know if revenue sharing by itself would constitute an antitrust violation.

I think it is more important as to whether we think fans have a right to know. Is it okay if the money I give my team for playoff tickets goes to the Nashville Predators rather than being re-invested in the team I pay to watch?

Is it too much to expect that the NHL would adopt a common sense approach? Like, say, splitting the gate at every game? If they did that, they probably would not need any system of salary restraint.

Tom

Sammy*

Tom_Benjamin said:
Somebody else is better qualified to answer that then I am. I don't know if revenue sharing by itself would constitute an antitrust violation.

I think it is more important as to whether we think fans have a right to know. Is it okay if the money I give my team for playoff tickets goes to the Nashville Predators rather than being re-invested in the team I pay to watch?

Is it too much to expect that the NHL would adopt a common sense approach? Like, say, splitting the gate at every game? If they did that, they probably would not need any system of salary restraint.

Tom
Isnt the problem as to what revenues get shared & what is the real value of those revenues?. Gate receips is the easiest to peg but my understanding other revenue streams are much more difficult .

SENSible1*

Minimum cap

By placing a high minimum cap and keeping the gap between maximum and minimum caps small, the owners have made the issue of revenue sharing entirely their business and not a CBA concern.

The NHLPA has been garaunteed that a fixed % of total league revenues will be spent on them. It is up to the owners in the small revenue markets to get access to profits in the big markets or grow their own revenue streams.

Why should the PA care if the Preds lose money by being forced to spend 35M as long as they get their pay?

Brent Burns Beard