Does this Leafs PP look like it could be the best ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Jets probably have the scariest top unit in the league
There’s lots of good ones.

The ones that are scary are the ones that seemingly get the 5-1 pp ratio every time your team plays them

It might not even be true. Just feels like it.

*stares annoyingly at the Penguins

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Yes, the Leafs will cement their dynasty and win the cup for the next 8 years. Matthews will overtake Mcdavid, Marner will establish himself as the 2nd best player in the world behind only the great Auston. Rielly will win a Norris. The Toronto Maple Leafs will take over the NHL...

Whatever helps you sleep at night..

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Come on now don't do this...

Anyways I am not basing on a pre-season game. This is just the first look we have had of them and are considerably better than last year's PP. I think there is a chance they could break the record for PP% this year.

Montreal also has two power play goals in the game... could they have the greatest power play ever?

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
No team has cracked 30% in 40 years. But yeah the leafs will hit 32%.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Back in the Islanders hay day i used to place bets with my buddies when they went on the PP.
They were on their own level.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Come on now don't do this...

Anyways I am not basing on a pre-season game. This is just the first look we have had of them and are considerably better than last year's PP. I think there is a chance they could break the record for PP% this year.
Here is my issue.

Any stacked powerplay COULD theoretically break the record. However, the record exists for a reason. And it has lasted for four decades for a reason. And only one team has even cracked 30% since the record was set for a reason (and that one team was the next season).

The last team to get even close was the Capitals of 2012-2013, and they only got to 26.8%, 12th since 1978-1979. I am not sure you are aware of the type of hype you put on the Leafs' powerplay group.

Reactions: Oryxo and sharks9

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Kamiccolo, any chance you could try just being a proud Hurricanes fan?
tenor.gif

member 298589

You are doing no service to us Leafs fans by making these kinds of posts - this rhetoric after a part of a preseason game and on the general discussion board?

Be better than this.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Matthews wasn't on the #1 unit last year. It was Bozak and JVR who left. Matthews and Tavares are replacing them. It was 25% last year. Do you see where I am coming from?

Was the #1 pp unit 25% or the team as a whole?

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I think it is pretty clear from reading through the comments that the thread creator speaks for all leaf fans. For shame leaf fans, for shame.

:sarcasm:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Give me Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Kessel, Letang over the Leafs 5 quite easily. But yeah, preseason game against the Habs. Crown the Leafs, every record of all time this year.

I don’t recall, but did Gonchar play with Crosby, Malkin? I’d love to watch that again.

Also....

Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman.
Ovechkin, Carlson, 19( blanking on his name despite being in my hockey pool 3 playoffs running), Kuznetsov

How about:

Coffey, Jagr, Lemieux
Coffey, Kurri, Messier, Gretzky

That last group scored so much the league changed the rules to 1 offensive team goal per power play.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Was the #1 pp unit 25% or the team as a whole?
The team as a whole. 47th since the record was set (which isn't that bad considering that was almost 40 years ago and the top-13 teams in that span came before the 90s).

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Since the lockout, the highest PP% is 26.8% by the Capitals in 2012-2013. Only 7 teams have broken 25% on the season (including Toronto last year).

So if we take this stat and consider:
-the Leafs were anywhere from the 5-10th best team in the league last year (their PP seemingly overachieved)
-they subtracted 2 solid PP guys in JVR and Bozak and replaced them with one very good PP guy in Tavares (essentially a wash)
-they still don't have a pure shooter of the Kessel, Stamkos, Ovechkin or Laine calibre

...if anything, the PP looks due to regress this year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Leafs PP unit scores multiple goals in preseason game (because that’s never happened before!).

Leafs fans “it could be best ever unit to play in nhl”

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I am just saying taking a PP that was 25% and adding Matthews to it means there is a pretty good chance. Not to mention these were all kids who are taking a step. Marner is a man possessed.

Hey, let’s go from 56 PP goals to 200. No need to inflate the absurdity levels of the topic with a silly tweet.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad