Does This Bother Anybody?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
As Florida GM, Dale Tallon has paid and will pay Versteeg, Kuba and Bradley $10 million NOT to play for the Panthers. Assuming Viola is willing to invest millions in acquiring new players, why would he entrust Dale Tallon to spend that money?

because viola knows that the profit from SSE is a lock, but if he can turn hockey into a popular sport in SOFLA (bw state #1), he'll make profit from the hockey team too, granting a way larger profit

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
because viola knows that the profit from SSE is a lock, but if he can turn hockey into a popular sport in SOFLA (bw state #1), he'll make profit from the hockey team too, granting a way larger profit

But given Tallon has wasted $10 million on making players he acquired go away, why would Viola think Tallon wouldn't waste millions more on players the Panthers will have to make go away in the future? Not questioning Viola willingness to spend money, I think Viola has to have questions about Tallon being the one telling him how to spend it.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The only one he should really take the blame for is Kuba.

Versteeg earned that type of contract in my opinion...but obviously you can't predict the future regarding the knee injury and what not.

The Bradley contract was only like 1 mill per or less, so it's pretty insignificant.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
We all thought Steeg was for real through the season and vs the Devils, no problem with what was signed. Remember we almost went to arbitration with Steeg too. We could've been paying even more than what Tallon inked him for.

No one predicted Kuba to be as freaking terrible as he was. He came to camp late and out of shape. Plus we thought Guddy was ready to take Garrison's spot too. Again he was far worse than expected.

Bradley is small peanuts.

CoolburnIsGone

We all thought Steeg was for real through the season and vs the Devils, no problem with what was signed. Remember we almost went to arbitration with Steeg too. We could've been paying even more than what Tallon inked him for.
Except had we gone to arbitration with Versteeg, most arbitration awards are 1-2 yrs, MAXIMUM. At his age & experience level, most likely it would've been a 1 yr deal. That would've meant we would only overpay for 1 season, which would've been a lockout shortened season too. Then to re-sign him again, we probably wouldnt sign him for another 3 yrs at $4.4M/yr but probably closer to what he made on his previous deal and most likely for 2 yrs, at most. That would make Versteeg more valuable as a trade commodity as opposed to now because even if you retained half salary, most teams would be able to acquire him (assuming his salary was back to 2011 level of $3M/yr...retaining $1.5M would make more teams able to afford him in cap space).

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
No, I blame previos ownership and their many restraints. We were forced to overpay for guys like that, since they never wanted to spend more for better players.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
Going to arb would have been the better move but this was Tallons boy. One of his favs. He was going to make him a rich man no matter what. And now he's help his boy get back to a better place and Vinny picks up the bill.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
It would bother me a hell of a lot more if all three of those worse than pylon players were wasting roster place on this team.

At least dale is smart enough and humble enough to recognize own and fix his mistakes. That's called leadership.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
"Man, I wouldn't care if we gave up Kuba/Versteeg for nothing!"

"OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE WE GOT RID OF VERSTEEG FOR NOTHING"

Erick*

It does bother me.

As I said in another thread a week or two ago, Tallon should be held accountable for a good portion of the mess. With that said, I think he's made some good moves too. My conclusion is that I'm giving him until the end of this year and next year, as well. If the team hasn't improved by that time, I would hope he's no longer here. That's enough time.

Jan 19, 2006
It does bother me.

As I said in another thread a week or two ago, Tallon should be held accountable for a good portion of the mess. With that said, I think he's made some good moves too. My conclusion is that I'm giving him until the end of this year and next year, as well. If the team hasn't improved by that time, I would hope he's no longer here. That's enough time.

Hard to argue with that.

Even Tallon himself would likely agree.

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Is SSE profitable? Arena Operating Company yes, but then Panthers' losses bring SSE down.

JOL

i'm pretty sure that the whole thing (i thought SSE was all of that combined with the arena lease) is profitable enough to have a few bad contracts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad