Does the US Soccer team need a National Stadium?

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I really believe that if the soccer program in the United States is to grow in our country, we need a national stadium. Where is the question. DC seems a bit crowded, but if the Redskins move out of FedExField, Landover, MD could be a suitable location.

Your thoughts?

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
No. The country is far too big to limit it to one stadium, not to mention it would also be awful business for U.S. Soccer.

If it ever were to happen, however (it won't), our 'national stadium' would/should absolutely be Columbus.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Many major national teams don't have one, and even some who do don't play all of their games there. Not having a national stadium doesn't hamper the growth of the sport, and on the contrary I think hosting games all over the country is more beneficial to soccer in the U.S. rather than having it all in one place.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I really believe that if the soccer program in the United States is to grow in our country, we need a national stadium. Where is the question. DC seems a bit crowded, but if the Redskins move out of FedExField, Landover, MD could be a suitable location.

Your thoughts?

Does any country have a national stadium? Perhaps a tiny country like Andorra.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
No. The country is far too big to limit it to one stadium, not to mention it would also be awful business for U.S. Soccer.

If it ever were to happen, however (it won't), our 'national stadium' would/should absolutely be Columbus.

Agree with both points you make.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
England always plays at Wembley I believe. But I don't see a need for it in the US, I think it's great they play all over the country.

England has started to move away from only playing at Wembley now.

A national stadium is a poor idea. One reason for so much apathy towards the NT up here (outside of generally being terrible) is that they played I think two matches in Canada outside of Toronto from 2009-2015. Tough to develop a fanbase with poor TV coverage and no live matches.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
National stadiums are largely a useless idea, and a waste of money.

Scotland, with a population a little over 5 million, spent a fortune on Hampden when Glasgow already had Ibrox and Celtic Park. One already had the highest UEFA rating at the time and the other much larger. Edinburgh already had Murrayfield and smaller stadiums (Tynecastle & Easter Road).

The only time that having a national stadium is actually enjoyable is when it is being used for big domestic games, so Cup Finals. There is no difference to watching England play at Old Trafford or the Emirates Stadium than at Wembley. There is a big difference in going to watch your team play a Cup Final at Wembley than at some random neutral stadium.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
National Stadiums should only be in a thing in countries that can really only afford to have one good stadium or are just too small to warrant having more than one large stadium. In the US it'd be a terrible business move and utterly pointless. Nations like Denmark are moving away from the concept, starting to play more games in various stadiums around the country...but no other stadium comes close to the size of Parken, so that's where all of the 'big' games are going to go. That's not an issue a country of this size ever has to worry about.

Also I live in a city with a CSA of nearly 18.5 million people...and I'm some 2,600 miles away from the capital. What other country has that kind of situation?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Absolutely not. Total waste of money and prevents fans from elsewhere in the country from ever seeing the team play live near their home.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It would be counter-productive in such a large country with so many large stadiums that's still trying to grow the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad