• The team doesn't but I do.

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I miss him, but not as much as he misses his complete finger.

He did a good job in the playoffs shadowing top guns. But his cap hit with our impending big guns getting ready to make big dough (Stone, Karlsson, Duchene), I don't think we could have afforded him much longer.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
PS. Just read this in the Ottawa Sun (Speaking of our D Corps)

"Senators coach Kurt Kleinendorst labels Thomas Chabot as “a Michelangelo” for his offensive artistry.
A minute or so later, Kleinendorst describes the Ottawa Senators 20-year-old defence prospect as a “left shot Erik Karlsson,” because of his ability to create plays that few others can."

Me likey.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Realistically we might have needed to dump him next year due to cap, and imo if it came down to trading Phaneuf with cap retained to keep him that would be a disaster because Phaneuf can actually provide some offence and not world's apart defensively.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
60% Not bad. I bet if the question was did Dorion make the right decision in letting Methot go, the consensus would be even higher.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Assuming we're tapped out budget wise, I'll say no, losing Methot was actually a blessing in disguise.

In a perfect world, Methot makes our current D-core better, but Claesson has played well with Karlsson in the past and in a small sample size this season and is cheaper. It's evident that Phaneuf is unmoveable without taking back another big contract. Our d-core hasn't been a big issue this season. Let's say Vegas took somebody else other than Methot, such as Claesson or Wideman who at various points they were rumoured to be interested in, how does having another 5M on the books affect our team?

4M additional salary space and keeping Claesson who Vegas was rumoured to be into is a positive over keeping Methot.

We would have been in a worse situation team building wise if Vegas passed on Methot, and we were stuck with both him and Phaneuf.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
There has been a couple articles written about how advanced stats showed that he was actually an anchor (in a bad way) to the team and he made Karlsson worse.

I really do believe that.

Advanced stats can be very deceptive in this way. Methot played a lot less minutes than Karlsson, and when he was with him it was more in a defensive situation (i.e. DZFO), and when he wasn't with him it was generally an offensive situation (OZFO). Its not so much he was a drag on Karlsson, more that they tended to play together in tougher situations than when Karlsson played without Methot.

I find use in advanced stats, but also realize they provide zero context. Thus when you compare players who are primarily used in defensive roles, advanced statistics quickly become worth a lot less.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
He's a veteran defensemen that is a strong leader in the locker room. I'd have him back in a second if I could. Sens defense is still pretty questionable with inconsistent play by Oduya, Ceci, and even Karlsson for that matter. He adds grit and tenacity to clear the front of the net.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
He has terrible possession numbers and keeps the puck in our zone LOL.

Its a vicious cycle. The more you have Methot on the ice the more you need to have a methot becuase youll be hemmed in your own zone.

Look. If there was no cap and you could replace Boro with him I would be extatic but he really is not at all what we need to win.

And he was a good presence but his veteran leadership is not needed one bit. Karlsson, Phaneuf, Stone and Ryan can more than easily handle it.

He may be the most overrated dman this team has ever had.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Karlsson's advanced stats are probably better away from Methot because when he was playing with other partners like Borowiecki, the zone starts/quality of competition was probably much more favourable to Karlsson. That's just a pure guess.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Karlsson's advanced stats are probably better away from Methot because when he was playing with other partners like Borowiecki, the zone starts/quality of competition was probably much more favourable to Karlsson. That's just a pure guess.

I read this awesome article last year where this guy broke down Methots effect on Karlsson and the team and the clear consensus was that he was detrimental. He callled him an anchor but not in a good way.

Also, Boro sucks and yeah I would never have Boro with Karlsson. He shouldn't even be in the league so Methot is so much better than him but the reality is that a huge reason we didnt have the puck and had to defend so much was because of methot.

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying lets pair him with a guy that cant play defense but there are much better options for Karlsson.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Methot although a good player had his cap hit inflated by playing with Karlsson. Much like Kuba before him.

You don't pay the Methot types 5 mill a year.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'm glad we kept Ceci. Methot was good but entirely replaceable. Nice guy and good player though. Good luck to him in Dallas.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I read this awesome article last year where this guy broke down Methots effect on Karlsson and the team and the clear consensus was that he was detrimental. He callled him an anchor but not in a good way.

Also, Boro sucks and yeah I would never have Boro with Karlsson. He shouldn't even be in the league so Methot is so much better than him but the reality is that a huge reason we didnt have the puck and had to defend so much was because of methot.

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying lets pair him with a guy that cant play defense but there are much better options for Karlsson.

You're missing my point. My point is, I'd imagine when Karlsson is not with Methot and is with a lesser partner, the pairing was likely getting more sheltered deployment/competition, or I'll add now, had a much smaller sample size.

I don't know how anybody can watch the job Methot did in our playoff run against some top players and call him an anchor. It's one of the reason I can't stand "advanced stats nerds". They are a great tool in conjunction with watching the game, but people who use them as the undisputed end all be all when determining a player's usefulness are compensating for not having a deeper understanding of the game that only comes with years and years of for lack of a better term studying it via watching players.

(Not claiming I have that understanding either, but hopefully my point makes sense)

Reactions: bert

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I loved Crystal while he was here but I disliked that commentators always talked about playing with Karlsson as really challenging as if he was a 6 year-old with bad behaviour. It's not like Erik is the only guy that jumps into the rush or makes the occasionally risky play. Meth and Karl had great chemistry and seemed like good friends off the ice, but there are plenty of guys in the league that would have success playing with Karlsson (basically every top 4 LHD).

Reactions: TB1299

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sometimes the impact of a loss is overstated just because of the simple fact that they are not just taken out of the lineup as a big empty hole, they are replaced by a body attempting to do the same job and people are shuffled up accordingly. Having depth helps.

Happens all the time in playoffs where a big player or two gets injured and everyone is licking their chops but there is not much if any drop off.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I personally think it was a blessing in disguise to let go of Methot and keep Claesson. A savy move by a management team that is concerned about winning.

Methot has 0 goals and 0 points in 15 games with the stars. Hes turning 33 this year and for a player of his type his best years are behind him.

While he is a steady presence defensively because he was on the team we'd be forced to be on defence more. And as good as he was defensively, he was by no means elite defensively.

On top of that he would just have added to the salary cap troubles.

Karlsson clearly doesn't need him and any set backs he has had have been related to missing the pre season and nothing to do with Methot.

Claesson is younger, faster, cheaper, more skilled and has looked great beside Karlsson the last two games ( as well as last season and better than Oduya this year). He has much better shot and much better hands which is fantastic because it opens up the ice much more for the rest of his linemates since he is a legitimate threat to score a goal or make a play.

There are definitely some things Methot brought to the table but I am very impressed that our management isn't folding to the wants and needs of many of the arm chair GM's.

Sure they may have preferred to move Phaneufs contract more so then Methot because of the cap and future but IMO Claesson is a much better option moving forward.

This looks like a much better, puck controlling, attacking team.

He is absolutely elite defensively you have no idea what you are talking about. This team has struggled to hold leads and is giving up way more quality chances and goals than last season.

Reactions: BondraTime

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He has terrible possession numbers and keeps the puck in our zone LOL.

Its a vicious cycle. The more you have Methot on the ice the more you need to have a methot becuase youll be hemmed in your own zone.

Look. If there was no cap and you could replace Boro with him I would be extatic but he really is not at all what we need to win.

And he was a good presence but his veteran leadership is not needed one bit. Karlsson, Phaneuf, Stone and Ryan can more than easily handle it.

He may be the most overrated dman this team has ever had.

This is actually insane. You have no clue what you are talking about and this entire witch hunt makes me want to block you entirely. How do you know about the leadership situation are you in the room? He is fantastic at getting the puck out of the zone and even better at pinching on the left hand side keeping it in the Offensive zone. Good grief what a bunch of balony.

I bet if i go dig up the Mark Stone thread you were one of the maniacs that wanted him gone after his playoffs.

You also havent given one example of these advanced stats throughout this outrageous argument.

The bolded portion is absolutely ridiculous how long have you been following the team a year and a half?

Why dont you go confirm with Florida and Arizona if going simply by advanced stats is the way to build an NHL hockey team.

Reactions: BondraTime

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
This is actually insane. You have no clue what you are talking about and this entire witch hunt makes me want to block you entirely. How do you know about the leadership situation are you in the room? He is fantastic at getting the puck out of the zone and even better at pinching on the left hand side keeping it in the Offensive zone. Good grief what a bunch of balony.

Flawless move getting rid of Mehot. Worth 3 million max and a good but not great #4 at most.

Witch hunt? No. Witches were made up. Facts, adcanced statistics and clear eye test shown how poor he was and moving the puck, shooting the puck and creating any sort of offense or possession.

I dont disagree that he was steady in his own zone and that he stayed back but its clear that he wasnt a good fit moving forward as our #2D.

As much as I loved that run last year we where outshot and hemmed in way too much in our own zone. It was like survive and get lucky in a close 1 goal game and hope to win in overtime or wait for a clutch play from Erik ot Bobby. Thats not sustainable.

Dont get me wrong. Methot, if the puck was in the corner was steady enough to make a pass out of the zone by giving it to Karlsson or a forward close by but he had very little mobility with the puck and was a massive hinderance in our ability to keep constant pressure in our attack.

Also,

What are you talking about? I clearly said there are things that he brought to the table but he was never a guy that galvonized the guys on the ice or that you looked to be the difference maker.

If he was that important or crucial they would have let Claesson go.

There was a reason they gave Phaneuf and turris and ryan the A ahead of him.

All i said was that Karlsson, Ryan, Phaneuf and Stone could handle the leadership roles..

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ah, another one of these threads. It's either a "player X is garbage in a Sens uniform, and a god with any other team," or it's the "player X is godly with us, but garbage once traded."

Good grief.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Im less concerned with the day in day out regular season than i am about matchups in the playoffs. Methot was money last playoffs and i'm not convinced Claesson has that shut down ability in him.

Reactions: sens613 and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Flawless move getting rid of Mehot. Worth 3 million max and a good but not great #4 at most.

Witch hunt? No. Witches were made up. Facts, adcanced statistics and clear eye test shown how poor he was and moving the puck, shooting the puck and creating any sort of offense or possession.

I dont disagree that he was steady in his own zone and that he stayed back but its clear that he wasnt a good fit moving forward as our #2D.

As much as I loved that run last year we where outshot and hemmed in way too much in our own zone. It was like survive and get lucky in a close 1 goal game and hope to win in overtime or wait for a clutch play from Erik ot Bobby. Thats not sustainable.

Dont get me wrong. Methot, if the puck was in the corner was steady enough to make a pass out of the zone by giving it to Karlsson or a forward close by but he had very little mobility with the puck and was a massive hinderance in our ability to keep constant pressure in our attack.

Also,

What are you talking about? I clearly said there are things that he brought to the table but he was never a guy that galvonized the guys on the ice or that you looked to be the difference maker.

If he was that important or crucial they would have let Claesson go.

There was a reason they gave Phaneuf and turris and ryan the A ahead of him.

All i said was that Karlsson, Ryan, Phaneuf and Stone could handle the leadership roles..

Give one example of these advanced stats... One please.

I'll take my eye test over yours and Methot passed with flying colours.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Give one example of these advanced stats... One please.

I'll take my eye test over yours and Methot passed with flying colours.
Yeah, I'm not sure how an eye test could say losing Methot is a "flawless" (really?) move. That's absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->