Does the Rivet trade make up for the Gomez one?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
No

It was a great trade from Gainey but that's what deadline deals go for, as for the Gomez trade we were basically doing the Rangers a favor and everyone knew they were targeting Gaborik with the money, Gainey is the one that should have asked for a prospect or draft pick to take on that crap salary

Habtchum*

Simple question guys, do you guys think the Craig Rivet trade for Gorges and 1st (Pacioretty) is good enough to make up for Gomez's trade for McDonagh and Higgins?

Hockey wise: yes

Money wise: no

But Gainey also traded Ribeiro for Niinimaa... And in one single day made our team super tiny with Cammy and Gionta signings.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
No

It was a great trade from Gainey but that's what deadline deals go for, as for the Gomez trade we were basically doing the Rangers a favor and everyone knew they were targeting Gaborik with the money, Gainey is the one that should have asked for a prospect or draft pick to take on that crap salary

What makes it worse is I doubt anyone else would have taken Gomez. Like you said everyone knew the Rags wanted Gaborik, so why do them a favor, take the salary and give them any useful parts.

Higgins, Valentenko, McDonagh and Doug Janik
for
Gomez, Pyatt and Mike Busto

We overpaid dearly for someone that was overpaid that they didn't want. Take McDonagh out, and that trade makes more sense.

As far as the OP question goes. Every trade is evaluated on its own. We sure could have used McDonagh last year, and this year also if he was here. And last year we didn't have Gomez, just his salary and his roster spot.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
A better question would be, if you could can take back both trades, or keep both, which option would you take.

I'd do both trades, seeing how it all played out.

Gomez was ****, but his contract didn't really affect us much when you look at it now then some might think.

In his first year, he was fine, in his second year he was horrible, but I remember RDS reported that the Habs actually made a offer to Brad Richards which would mean that Gauthier was planning to either trade him (there was rumours of him going to the Islanders) or put him in the AHL. And now is he bought out.

For me the piece left out are Gorges, Patches> Mcdonagh

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
A better question would be, if you could can take back both trades, or keep both, which option would you take.

I'd do both trades, seeing how it all played out.

Gomez was ****, but his contract didn't really affect us much when you look at it now then some might think.

In his first year, he was fine, in his second year he was horrible, but I remember RDS reported that the Habs actually made a offer to Brad Richards which would mean that Gauthier was planning to either trade him (there was rumours of him going to the Islanders) or put him in the AHL. And now is he bought out.

For me the piece left out are Gorges, Patches> Mcdonagh

Obviously it turned out well with Gorges and Pacioretty but the bottom line is McDonagh should have never been moved. 25+ minutes a game you don't get lucky that often to draft or sign players like that on a yearly basis

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
would u ratter have no Pacioretty and no Gorges over having McDonagh and Higgins ???

We had a steal for Rivet.. and we craped the bed with the Gomez Team..

Habs are first in the East

Rangers are out of the playoffs..

last season it was the other way around...

Can we please get over the Gomez trade.. he's gone from the Habs anyways.. why bring it up every single day on the hf boards???

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
would u ratter have no Pacioretty and no Gorges over having McDonagh and Higgins ???

Can we please get over the Gomez trade.. he's gone from the Habs anyways.. why bring it up every single day on the hf boards???

actually can we please all take a magic pill to forget that whole Gauthier/Gainey/Martin era? do we have a mad scientist somewhere on this board?

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros

We finished last with Max and Josh in the lineup too. Gainey still sucked during his tenure here.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Obviously it turned out well with Gorges and Pacioretty but the bottom line is McDonagh should have never been moved. 25+ minutes a game you don't get lucky that often to draft or sign players like that on a yearly basis

Agree 100%, and I think everyone agrees with that, so to actually have a discussion about both trades, it might be better to ask that you either would you be ok with Gainey making both those trades, or not making them.

Ebony Mackenzie

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Mutually exclusive and have nothing to do with each other, no offence OP but it just seems like a stupid question. I don't see the logic in these kinds of things, a bad trade is a bad trade, the only thing I can see making one sting less is a Stanley Cup, but that's it.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I say that we just forget about that whole trade.

We have new management who are going with the youth movement now.

The Gomez trade was done three and a half years ago. We should let it go people. Turn the page and keep going forward now.

I will admit that it would be nice to have McDonagh but lets let the past be the past and lets look ahead to our very bright future.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Would you make this trade?

McD, Rivet, Higgins

for

Max, Gorges, Gomez, Pyatt

I would. Esp when you factor in the buyout that we were able to do with Gomez.

HabsHockey*

Nothing can ever make up for the Gomez trade. It never made sense from the start.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Would you make this trade?

McD, Rivet, Higgins

for

Max, Gorges, Gomez, Pyatt

I would. Esp when you factor in the buyout that we were able to do with Gomez.

McD, Rivet, Higgins, Valentenko, rights to Janik, Julien Demers (5th round pick)

for

Max, Gorges, Gomez, Pyatt, Busto

And yes, yes I would.

I personally have moved on with the Gomez trade. It doesn't bother me anymore.

Slippy13

Mar 6, 2008
Montreal, Qc
What makes it worse is I doubt anyone else would have taken Gomez. Like you said everyone knew the Rags wanted Gaborik, so why do them a favor, take the salary and give them any useful parts.

Higgins, Valentenko, McDonagh and Doug Janik
for
Gomez, Pyatt and Mike Busto

We overpaid dearly for someone that was overpaid that they didn't want. Take McDonagh out, and that trade makes more sense.

As far as the OP question goes. Every trade is evaluated on its own. We sure could have used McDonagh last year, and this year also if he was here. And last year we didn't have Gomez, just his salary and his roster spot.

You know what, I really liked Gainey. I thought he was a stand up guy doing the best that he could. But **** when I think back to that UFA season, man did this guy mess up the organization.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
You know what, I really liked Gainey. I thought he was a stand up guy doing the best that he could. But **** when I think back to that UFA season, man did this guy mess up the organization.

Seriously ? That team went to the ECF...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

To be fair, that UFA class helped us get the furthest in the playoffs the Habs had been in a decade. So when I think of "messed up organizations"...well we could really be in a lot worse shape, trust me.

Slippy13

Mar 6, 2008
Montreal, Qc
To be fair, that UFA class helped us get the furthest in the playoffs the Habs had been in a decade. So when I think of "messed up organizations"...well we could really be in a lot worse shape, trust me.

I agree it could be a whole lot worse. Maybe it's just reading about the Gomez trade over again getting my blood boiling :laugh: I can barely watch a Rags game seeing Mcdo playing so well.

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
This debate again? who the ***** cares about that trade anymore? It really wasn't as bad as a lot people make it out to be.
Higgins was a bum who poured his heart and soul into a shot glass and I remember back then that the Canadiens wanted some sort of commitment from McD,but I believe he didn't want to sign or leave school, yet signed with the Rags immediately and was in the NHL a year later.Besides, I'm more than happy having Emelin in that spot anyway.

Boston got roasted for trading Thornton for that package, and how'd that work out for them? Sometimes a terrible trade looks a lot better five years down the road, and the Habs are in much, much better shape than Rangers now, and going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->