Does the Rielly incident hurt him from being Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
So do you mean by living in a "I'm offended by everything" world hurt him from being captain?

I don't really think so. But you never know.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Silly thread.

He didn’t say the slur, and he handled the entire thing with the tact of a ... dare I say it... captain.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
he didn't say the explicit, got accused of it, got acquitted, and instead of being mad at the threats, and backlash he received, he came out and spoke about the injustices that LGBTQ human beings deal with on a day to day basis. He wasn't angry or upset, he listened, and went the extra mile along with Dubas. If that doesn't scream captain material (think a lot of guys in the room have this) then IDK what is.
That's very well put.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
The maturity and poise he faced in this situation confirmed to me that he is 100% the captain of this team. Bravo to him and the Leafs org as a whole.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I couldn't pick Rielly because he does not dominate/control the game as an all round player. Defense captains tend to be great defenders first. Guys like Alex and Chara.

On Leafs only real candidates to me are Tavares or Freddy right now but that could change depending on playoffs.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I couldn't pick Rielly because he does not dominate/control the game as an all round player. Defense captains tend to be great defenders first. Guys like Alex and Chara.

On Leafs only real candidates to me are Tavares or Freddy right now but that could change depending on playoffs.

How does Freddy strike you as a captain before Rielly? Making your goalie the captain is a terrible movw since they dont play 1/4 of the games and when they get pulled you lose your captain from the ice.

You are also forgetting Karlsson and OEL. Both were/are captains and Rielly is better defensively than both.

Edit: There are also many defenders who are worse than Rielly that are/have been captains (Andy Greene, Andrew Ference, etc.).

Tavares, Matthews, Rielly, Marner, Kadri are probably the likely order of captaincy. However, I think Rielly would be a great captain for the record.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I would say Rielly's handling of the 'incident' would make him more likely to be captain not less.

Exactly what I've said in other threads. Can you imagine how he felt Monday night?

He knows he didn't say it but what if the NHL decides he did? What if someone lied to the investigators?

Once found innocent he could have come out and blamed all the accusers play the victim card.

He took the this is a good opportunity to have a discussion about the real problem....I don't think he could have handled it any better.

Perfect Captain material

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
This whole incident and the way he handled it only further emphasizes what a great captain he would be

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
he didn't say the explicit, got accused of it, got acquitted, and instead of being mad at the threats, and backlash he received, he came out and spoke about the injustices that LGBTQ human beings deal with on a day to day basis. He wasn't angry or upset, he listened, and went the extra mile along with Dubas. If that doesn't scream captain material (think a lot of guys in the room have this) then IDK what is.
This. If anything I would say it helps his chances.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Count me among the number of people who gained respect for Rielly for the way he handled this situation. Both he and Dubas were excellent in the press conference. If anything, this was a good test for Rielly on how he would hande a very tough situation. I believe he showed that he is capable of taking on the most difficult captaincy in the NHL.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
If he was guilty, then absolutely.

But since he wasn't then absolutely not. He even went on to testify that that kind of behaviour is not acceptable anywhere in the world, let alone sports.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Because I think Freddy has been their best player on most nights this season. Without him this team is borderline wildcard level. He is carrying the team and especially the defense on his back. That to me is what a captain should do.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC

Freddy as Captain? Yikes. Nucks made Luongo their captain and look how well that turned out for everyone involved.

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
I think it strengthens his chance. It shows that he can be the face of this team through good times or bad.
He maintained a strong resolve, and wanted to face his accusers and set the record straight.
Honestly not sure if Matthews or JT would have handled it any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad