Does the Rielly incident hurt him from being Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
There has been much discussion re: candidates for Captain. Riellys name has been mentioned along with Tavares, Hyman, and Matthews. Does this incident change your opinion if he should be captain and why? Or has it lessened his chances?

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
he didn't say the explicit, got accused of it, got acquitted, and instead of being mad at the threats, and backlash he received, he came out and spoke about the injustices that LGBTQ human beings deal with on a day to day basis. He wasn't angry or upset, he listened, and went the extra mile along with Dubas. If that doesn't scream captain material (think a lot of guys in the room have this) then IDK what is.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Incident of ppl slandering him for nothing will have an affect on him?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What happened to the OP?
Strange they haven't replied to any of the posts.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
he didn't say the explicit, got accused of it, got acquitted, and instead of being mad at the threats, and backlash he received, he came out and spoke about the injustices that LGBTQ human beings deal with on a day to day basis. He wasn't angry or upset, he listened, and went the extra mile along with Dubas. If that doesn't scream captain material (think a lot of guys in the room have this) then IDK what is.

And there's your answer.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
From the beginning it sounded to me like something picked up from the crowd. a lot of times listening to games every once in awhile you'll hear a loud outburst from someone in the crowd. That's what it sounded like to me. I know he got exonerated for it but did they ever figure out who said it or what was said? Was it officially Marked as crowd noise? I know it really doesn't matter I was just curious. And it is pretty messed up that MR is going to be associated with this bs for a while.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
No. He denied it, he had just volunteered without prompting to be involved in the pride parade, and the TML clearly believe him. This was an attempted hitjob. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't pay it any more time or respect than it deserves -- which is none.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
if anything the way he handled being slandered will have helped his case. professional and personable, great combination. And lets face Leafs captains get a lot of garbage written about them by shitty humans like Feschuk and simmons, he has now shown he handles it well

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
He's more deserving now after handling the cowardly outrage on social media with elequence and class.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If anything it strengthened his spot on being the next Leafs captain. Handled entire situation with class and faced the media in a very open, direct, professional matter all traits that would make a perfect captain. Pair that all with being your best defensceman that was drafted and developed in the Leafs organization. Its a no brainer.

Reactions: OddyOh

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
It's the opposite if anything. Him willing to publicly explain it's not him and handling it well is great leadership material.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad