Does the OHL Have a Problem Attracting Talent?

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Over the past few years I've noticed that more and more Canadian players seem to be going to the US for junior and college hockey including big name prospects like Owen Power and Adam Fantilli. I wanted to make this thread to ask your opinions on this: do you think the OHL is running into a problem with attracting talent?

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I believe so. When choosing a University, you can choose your coach and teammates. In the O you generally play for the team that drafts you. If, like Dickenson, you choose not to report you may have some control over where you go but not complete control.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I think the question should be whether or not OHL (or WHL, QMJHL) is still the best at developing kids that are age 18-20. There is a reason the USHL/Jr A-to-NCAA appears to be doing better. It gives higher downside (a degree) and higher upside (better development at age 19-20).

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Over the past few years I've noticed that more and more Canadian players seem to be going to the US for junior and college hockey including big name prospects like Owen Power and Adam Fantilli. I wanted to make this thread to ask your opinions on this: do you think the OHL is running into a problem with attracting talent?
I would say there has been a leveling of options for players then just major junior but to say that attracting talent isn't an issue.

Let's be honest there are many routes for players now a days then there has ever been. Some choose NCAA, some choose Europe, some choose prep-schools. It really depends on how the players are advised by their agents, families.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think it is at a level that is alarming. We need to remember that the US Program is growing and as it grows, they add more players to the pool. Same when you consider the Import players. I think it pretty much evens out overall.

I think the biggest difference that we see is not in so far as the number of players that go NCAA but the number of players that go to the USHL before the NCAA. Those programs have gotten quite good and are as good or in some cases better than our JrA loop.

I think we tend to forget that a kid like Fantilli would have played Tier II for a year or two or maybe a US Prep School before going NCAA. Now that player goes to a solid USHL program instead. Because the player goes to the USHL program there is a larger spotlight on it. It makes it look like more are not playing OHL and opting for an alternate route but is there really a significant increase or does it just look that way because it is more high profile?

There are a small handful of players that are going USHL with no true interest in NCAA. They feel it is a better development program for them but that is such a small number of player in the grand scheme of things. Typically the players going USHL want to play NCAA. So, USHL or Tier II JrA?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
its great for higher end guys, no doubt, but the non michael hages or adam fantilli, its never been harder to get a full ride down south. lost of players that 10/20 years ago would be going to the ncaa cannot due to the lack of interest, the us has more depth now, and its easier to bring in a more local buy vs bringing in an ottawa player or toronto player.

id bet that most kids that go ncaa from ontario are paying out of pocket, exeptions being top ohl pick of guys who can commit right after the draft.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Every players development is different and some feel a year or two in USHL then NCAA is best for them. I feel OHL still gets the higher amount of top players eligible.

I have not crunched numbers but I still feel around 90% of top 40 (first and second round drafted in OHL) players report to the OHL. I can only recall 4 players since 2018 who have not reported to the league after being a top 40 pick --> Power, Fantilli, Moldenhaur and Hage. Technically some could still eventually play in the league.

Similar to Matthews going to Zurich in his draft year - players nowadays are more interested in different paths and routes to their final destination, should it be pro hockey.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I know of one player that went the college route and NIL is a huge game changer right now. This player said between 15-20k a year and he's not driving a Honda Civic. Sure you can get your signing bonus and play the CHL. If you're that good to play NCAA for 2-3 years make 50-70k over those years and then get your signing bonus it's worth it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I know of one player that went the college route and NIL is a huge game changer right now. This player said between 15-20k a year and he's not driving a Honda Civic. Sure you can get your signing bonus and play the CHL. If you're that good to play NCAA for 2-3 years make 50-70k over those years and then get your signing bonus it's worth it.

Yeah. I never even considered that opportunity now that the NCAA has changed their rules on that. The Name, Image, Likeness money can be significant but only if you are a top end prospect.

I’ve never looked into that at the CHL level. Do the players have access to that at the CHL level or does their CHL team agreement nullify that? Anyone know how it works? Theoretically, a top OHL player could cash in on NIL separate from any other agreement unless their SPA has language against it putting the $$$ in the leagues hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad