Does the Islanders 19 straight playoff series wins become more impressive to you over time?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
An average NHL team playing just against a bad team that win only 30% of their game would have (if it would be something you can calculate) 87.4% chance of winning a best of 7 series.

Doing it 19 times in a rows would have less than 8% chance to occur.

For a team to have more than 50% chance of doing what they did (19 series in a row) facing always the same quality of opposition, they need to be good enough to have 96.5% or more of winning their 4out7 series.

To have a 96.5% chance of winning a best of 7 you need to be good enough to have 80% chance of winning a playoff game, that how dominant you need to be for you to be likely to do something like that.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The 60s Celtics are the only team to win 4 in a row though.

As far as I know the Lakers and Bulls are the only other teams to 3-peat.

The Rockets won back to back, but they're overshadowed/ disrespected for other reasons...well one particular reason, really.

You mean the "They only won because Jordan retired" theory? Yeah, that's the Rockets of the mid 1990s. Still a heck of a team though. Hakeem, Drexler.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
For someone like me who hated the Bulls those two years were like tonic. I think the Bulls dynasty might be the biggest reason why I never got into the NBA as much as the other leagues. When the same team seems to win every year..for like a time spanning your entire youth then thats not terribly interesting.

Reactions: scott clam

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
For someone like me who hated the Bulls those two years were like tonic. I think the Bulls dynasty might be the biggest reason why I never got into the NBA as much as the other leagues. When the same team seems to win every year..for like a time spanning your entire youth then thats not terribly interesting.
We'll never know what a Bulls-Rockets finals would have looked like, but people need to remember that Michael Jordan was there in '95.

And the Chicago Bulls didn't lose to the Orlando Magic because MJ was "rusty". They lost because they didn't have anyone who could guard Shaq(who's Magic would later be swept by Hakeem's Rockets).

It's no mystery why the Bulls would acquire Dennis Rodman the following offseason...

Last edited:
Reactions: PurpleMouse

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I watched all the cup clinching games on the rewind during this pandemic MSG showed and it really opened my eyes. These guys were machines, getting clutch goals when they needed it.

Also reinforced Goring get his jersey raised. He was so good!

Reactions: scott clam

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
I watched all the cup clinching games on the rewind during this pandemic MSG showed and it really opened my eyes. These guys were machines, getting clutch goals when they needed it.

Also reinforced Goring get his jersey raised. He was so good!
I think he also got the Cup raised because of Tavares though, didn't he?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think he also got the Cup raised because of Tavares though, didn't he?
No, also gives no explanation to Tonelli. Those guys were underappreciated and this was long coming. Ledecky in particular reconnected with the since buying the team and was big in raising the jerseys. Great guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad