Does the CFL need to switch to NFL rules?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'd like to watch more CFL ball but find the NFL game to be better, regardless of the skill level. The trend is clear, young football fans in Canada prefer the American game. It would make for better gameplay as players dont need to transition to Canadian rules. The game would also be far more marketable in the GTA in my opinion. Its a no brainer, and would completely reinvigorate the Canadian game.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I don't think the CFL should change the rules. Seeing Canadian Football is a nice change of pace from the standard USA Gridiron format.

(That's my opinion. I would like to hear a counter-argument.)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think it would be an awful decision.

One it is highly debatable that the NFL rules are better and two then the CFL just becomes a worse version of the NFL so why bother watching?

The CFL should keep its unique rules that make the league what it is and differentiates it from the NFL. Torontonians aren't going to watch the NFL B league if the CFL changed its rules. They will just watch the NFL and the CFL will lose some of its few remaining die hards that like the CFL game for what it is. This seems like a good way to kill the CFL in Toronto for good.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think the CFL should consider changing the rules if they are interested in growing the game outside of Canada.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If the CFL wants to grow outside of Canada it should consider making changes.

Why would they want to grow the game outside Canada?

Last time they did that it was a huge disaster. The biggest appeal the league has right now is it's different rules and Canadian specific aspects. If you change the rules to be more like the NFL you just become another one of the second rate leagues that have all failed.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That would be a huge mistake. The 3 down football is what makes the CFL game better and more offensive scoring. With only 3 downs you're forced to pass more than run in order to gain enough yards and passing plays are usually more exciting than running plays. Also the fair catch rule in the NFL eliminates any exciting kickoff returns that happens in the CFL. There's no question that the NFL has better players than the CFL, but not the rules, personally I think if the NFL played CFL rules, you'd have a better game.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The CFL fulfills a niche in the realm of professional football. If the CFL was like the NFL but with significantly lower payrolls.... it'd just be a watered down version of the NFL. The end result would almost assuredly be a sharp decline in interest among the existing fanbase and not enough pickup from NFL only fans.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
That's why it's called football, because you use your foot to kick the ball.
source.gif

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Only thing I would do is get rid of the Most Outstanding Canadian award, I don't know of anything other league (inform me if I'm incorrect) that has an award like that.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Part of the CFL 2.0 plan in partnering with other pro leagues around the world (Germany, France, Mexico etc...). They create a global (non-Canadian or American) played allocation on CFL rosters. In exchange those league's create space for Canadians to play overseas improving Canadian talent.

How does this relates to the rules?

Second phase in the works for CFL 2.0: report | 3DownNation

The next phase of this plan is to have some of these smaller league's to switch to the 3 down/110 yard field rules.

If it happens, it will be the first time these rules will be played professional outside of Canada aside from the ill-fated US expansion.

Long term (lofty) goal is to have the CFL rules considered the international version of gridiron football.

If sucsessful, there is no reason to change to the NFL rules.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The CFL rules are why CFL is worth watching. I'm a ST holder, I watch 90% of CFL games away from Winnipeg on TV. I watch because the game is faster, more dynamic, more fun. The NFL rules are a slog. It's so freaking slow, it's a bore. I only follow NFL for Fantasy. I can't remember the last time I actually watched an NFL game from start to finish, I can't understand how someone can beyond it being your favourite team and watching just your team. It takes forever for anything ever to happen. Rugby which I don't even understand the rules is more enjoyable to me than NFL rules.

If anything the NFL should move their rules towards CFL rules. Open up the field, allow the athletes to make plays, and watch the fun that ensues. It makes the game so much faster (2o second clock) and so much more fun to watch.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The CFL rules are why CFL is worth watching. I'm a ST holder, I watch 90% of CFL games away from Winnipeg on TV. I watch because the game is faster, more dynamic, more fun. The NFL rules are a slog. It's so freaking slow, it's a bore. I only follow NFL for Fantasy. I can't remember the last time I actually watched an NFL game from start to finish, I can't understand how someone can beyond it being your favourite team and watching just your team. It takes forever for anything ever to happen. Rugby which I don't even understand the rules is more enjoyable to me than NFL rules.

If anything the NFL should move their rules towards CFL rules. Open up the field, allow the athletes to make plays, and watch the fun that ensues. It makes the game so much faster (2o second clock) and so much more fun to watch.
I agree for the most part, but NFL games are exciting too, they're just a little more predictable, run, run, pass, kick. NFL needs to play CFL rules and because of their superior players, the game would be the best.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure if serious??

I'd stop watching the league in that scenario to be honest. I watch it because I like rule set more.

I dont think the GTA is an American rules market that is bring held back....they are simply not a good football market. This has been pointed out countless times when over 50% of the city comes from other countries.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree for the most part, but NFL games are exciting too, they're just a little more predictable, run, run, pass, kick. NFL needs to play CFL rules and because of their superior players, the game would be the best.

I think even if the NFL adopted some of the timing rules in the last 3 minutes of the CFL it would be an improvement.

I love both codes of gridiron but the ending of NFL games is just very blah a lot compared to how much games swing in the CFL in the last 3 minutes.

I just hate how many games get kneeled out over a long time.

Reactions: hoglund

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
This is the weirdest/worst idea I have ever heard.

Most people who love the CFL love it because the different rules make the game much more fast-paced and unpredictable.

The two biggest things for me are the 20 second play clock and the single point. There's only two ways to score in the NFL (other than extremely rare safety), which makes it quite repetitive. I love that you can score a point off a punt, a kickoff, or a missed field goal in the CFL. The extra point being moved back in the NFL has helped decrease the predictability of the scorelines, but it's still typically 24-17, 14-10, 28-20, etc in the majority of games. I hate that aspect of it. Give me some 33-29, 22-18, 26-25, etc, different scores every week.

The 40 second play clock is the other thing I can't stand. It's not a big deal in the first three quarters, but if you're down two scores in an NFL game with 5 minutes left and the leading team has the ball, the game is basically over. The ability for a team to kill three, four, even five minutes of clock by picking up a single first down just plain sucks. Victory formation with 2 minutes left is awful. In the CFL you can reasonably give yourself three possessions inside the last five minutes if your defense holds.

If either league were to adopt a rule from the other one, I'd like to see the NFL use CFL clock rules in the last 5 or 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. And I'd like to see the CFL adopt the fair catch rule on punts. The returner hovering over the ball on the turf waiting for somebody to breach the 5-yard zone is lame, as is the high-speed guesswork involved in the officiating of those plays (though oddly enough, CFL refs usually manage to get these ones right).

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The two biggest things for me are the 20 second play clock and the single point. There's only two ways to score in the NFL (other than extremely rare safety), which makes it quite repetitive. I love that you can score a point off a punt, a kickoff, or a missed field goal in the CFL. The extra point being moved back in the NFL has helped decrease the predictability of the scorelines, but it's still typically 24-17, 14-10, 28-20, etc in the majority of games. I hate that aspect of it. Give me some 33-29, 22-18, 26-25, etc, different scores every week.

Every single score is possible in the NFL.

Including one, though it’s never happened.

Reactions: mouser

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Every single score is possible in the NFL.

Including one, though it’s never happened.

Anything is technically possible. But for the most part, teams end games with 7, 10, 13, 14, 17, 20, 21, 23, 24, 27, 28 points in the NFL. Blown converts are the only thing that can really throw a wrench into things, though it's nice that they moved it back so some do get missed now. I like that the single point makes it completely random in the CFL. A team can go through an entire 18 game season with 18 unique totals both for and against.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
No, no and no.

Majority of grassroots football in Canada is based around Canadian rules. It's not just the CFL that would be affected, it's football at all levels within Canada.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't know if three down football makes the game better but Canadian Football has evolved over the years to resemble American Football. So major changes have been done before.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know if three down football makes the game better but Canadian Football has evolved over the years to resemble American Football. So major changes have been done before.

I think you have that backwards. The NFL altered the passing rules to open up the passing and move it from a rushing focused game whereas the CFL has always been a 65-70% passing game.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

as opposed to run, pass, punt or pass, pass punt?
The CFL is just as predictable in the play calling department.

regardless I would not want to see the CFL go to NFL rules. It would take away what is unique about their game.

Reactions: hoglund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad