Speculation: Does the abundance of available 1st line LWs hurt their value?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Maroon is also a LW.

I don't see teams paying a lot for any of these wingers... and the current crop aren't proven playoff performers or lack the playoff history (i.e Patches, etc.)

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
This list is an apple, a banana and two oranges.

JVR won't be traded because teams in comfortable playoff position do not trade one their best wingers.

Ottawa and Montreal will wait until they get what they want. NHL trade deadline is not a Hoffman/Patches trade deadline.

Kane is the only one of the four who is guaranteed to go at the trade deadline.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's always lots of context which is very important. I recognize that Miller was far from a sure thing prospect, I didn't actually bring him up until the other poster referred to the nameless prospect as "trash". I just think it's crazy that HF considers wingers who can score 30g to have so little value. A C who scores 30g would get even more than the Lucic return and then people scoff at the thought of trading a first for Pacioretty. Position is important, but some of the stuff that gets thrown around here is nuts.

I totally agree. 30g scorers don't grow on trees. I still think their market value will be their market value even if a few are available because they're different dudes.

That being said, when teams are spending big assets, they usually go for a C, since they can always move them to wing if necessary. As good as they are, wingers are the bottom of the positional pecking order when it comes to trade value C-D-wing (and goalies are voodoo so don't even bother, lol).

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Teams always will need skilled players . Look at next summer , not to compare D to wingers but their could be a few top D available

Sens Karlsson
Arizona OEL
NYR McD
Pens Letang

I don't see the value being lower because of the number of #1 D that could be available . If anything it may drive up the price of the lower end D on that list as teams will have cheap option if the ask for the Karlsson and OEL are to high

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Whenever there is a market out there the price comes down. I think it'll be the same thing with potentially OEL / McDonagh / Karlsson / Doughty all being available depending on negotiations over the next season and change with lesser guys being available as well.

I also don't see JVR being moved. Leafs lack LW and goal scorers and he fits both, nevermind him being the only other guy elite around the net on the team other than Matthews.

I just posted a similar comment

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Have they put Heinen firmly at LW? I thought for some reason he had played LW and C (and RW?) for the Bruins. I guess with no injuries that would push him to 4th line, which is maybe stacking the roster too much.

Pretty much all season.

Marchand (20 goals/45 points in 37 games)
Heinein (10 goals/31 points in 40 games)
DeBrusk (10 goals/24 points in 40 games)
Spooner (7 goals/17 points in 24 games)
Schaller
Vatrano

Bjork (4 goals/12 points in 28 games)
Cehlarik (2 points/5 games)
Agostino

LW depth is a so far off the radar IMO.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
As others have pointed out, you have two things going on here:

1. Some of the teams do not need to sell. Therefore, if the price drops too much, they'll drop out (at least for now) which will reduce the supply.

2. The players are partially fungible. A team who wants Patches probably isn't going to be equally interested in Hoffman (and vice versa). So having them both on the market won't affect the price as much as if most teams considered both players to be exactly equal. However, they are partially fungible. I.e., if a team really coveted Hoffman (and was ok with the others), they're going to be willing to pay more for Hoffman but, at some price, they will prefer Patches or Kane. They aren't their first choice but they're at least serviceable and considered an upgrade over what they have. So even though an increase in the price of Hoffman won't result in a 1:1 price increase in Kane or Patches, it will tend to drive up the price of all of them. Same with a decrease or with more (or fewer) players being available or more (or fewer) teams being interested.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
That's stating the obvious. More offer, equal demand means team should expect less. Fortunately for the sellers, all LW aren't necessarily on the last year of their deal.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I think Montreal wanted too much for Patches. Why he wasn't moved
Or they thought they can get a lot more at the draft with an extension in place for the trading team. Plus bubble teams will more likely give up their 1rst knowing they didn't win the lottery.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Or they thought they can get a lot more at the draft with an extension in place for the trading team. Plus bubble teams will more likely give up their 1rst knowing they didn't win the lottery.

Still a glut of LW who will become UFAs soon. I bet Patches fetches a 2019 1st and B prospects. Nobody will give up a 2018 1st with so many LWs available July 1st.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Still a glut of LW who will become UFAs soon. I bet Patches fetches a 2019 1st and B prospects. Nobody will give up a 2018 1st with so many LWs available July 1st.
Which LW is available before UFA

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Good LW's are always in demand. But the OK LW who is older or UFA or just is cought up in the numbers is also part of the system. The International growth, NCAA hockey, USA development programs are sending better and more advanced players into the NHL. Teams are not old anymore.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Even that is optimistic without an extension, particularly because of the point you mentioned- a glut of LW who become UFA's this year.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I doubt Pacioretty gets traded with an extension, those rarely happen.

And the draft is when draft picks are valued the most, and teams are least likely to want to give them up.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I doubt Pacioretty gets traded with an extension, those rarely happen.

And the draft is when draft picks are valued the most, and teams are least likely to want to give them up.
huh?? Elliot to CGY?? Stepan for top 10 pick? Its more likely they trade the picks at the draft then before TDL for BUBBLE teams. Cuz a bubble team can miss the playoffs and end up winning the lottery (look at PHI). If they win the lottery they overpaid massively. But at the draft they already know their position. A team will be more willing to part with the 15OV pick than what should be in the mid range with not-to-discard chances of a top 3 pick.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Or teams know this us a deep draft and would prefer to keep their first rounD picks. Or gms believe patches price is to high

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I know that I didn’t add Skinner to this OP, but I think he applies as well.

It sure does look like a buyer’s market for goal scoring LWs, and that is definitely going to hurt Pacioretty’s return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad