Does Tampa has the Best Goalie, Defenceman & Winger?

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
I would too if I was 18 million over the cap
Is that all you’ve got? Let me make it easy for you.

This thread wouldn’t even be a point of discussion were not for the fact that Tampa Bay has drafted and developed more star players in the last decade than any team in the league. They will pay for that soon enough

Covid, not manipulation put them in this position. Without the pandemic the salary cap was anticipated to increase to $85 million. Because of the lack of revenue in the league and no games played it did not. If it had it would’ve been easy to get somebody to take Tyler Johnson amongst other players in the league on waivers. Had that happened the rest of the Increase would’ve taken care of the balance of the Tampa overage problem.

The problem with so many people in here is they hear something and they want to run with it. Now your math lesson: the $18 million isn’t even accurate since half that money went to two players on long-term injured reserve that will never play again.

Got it? Good. Now carry on

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Vasilevskiy, I agree. Hedman had a poor season, I think he's still the best all around but maybe Makar and Fox will challenge this as soon as next season? Kucherov is a hell of a winger, but there are so many great wingers that challenge for the title of best winger. Panarin, Marner, Rantanen, Marchand, Kane, Stone, Huberdeau...

I think you can make a case for all three, but Vasy is the only one I agree without hesitation.

Reactions: CasusBelli

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Is that all you’ve got? Let me make it easy for you.

This thread wouldn’t even be a point of discussion were not for the fact that Tampa Bay has drafted and developed more star players in the last decade than any team in the league. They will pay for that soon enough

Covid, not manipulation put them in this position. Without the pandemic the salary cap was anticipated to increase to $85 million. Because of the lack of revenue in the league and no games played it did not. If it had it would’ve been easy to get somebody to take Tyler Johnson amongst other players in the league on waivers. Had that happened the rest of the Increase would’ve taken care of the balance of the Tampa overage problem.

The problem with so many people in here is they hear something and they want to run with it. Now your math lesson: the $18 million isn’t even accurate since half that money went to two players on long-term injured reserve that will never play again.

Got it? Good. Now carry on

So a covid asterisk? You imagined a planned cap ceiling that didn't happen. Then got a weird bail out on letting one of the best players on the planet sit the entire year to circumvent the SAME situations every other team went through.

Now to your point that I 100% agree with. Tampa sat their best player for the year and is still here. Imagine Buffalo or the Oilers etc etc doing that. They cant sniff the playoffs. That speaks to depth and drafting and you are spot on. Other teams should be jealous of that. Tampa is the icon of what teams should do.

However getting a world class athlete back "for free" while keeping that depth in tact deserves questioning. But Kudos for the squad being that good to not need him until now. But the NOW is what is in question.

P.S I'd kill for the drafting and scouting Tampa has done. Its remarkable in this day and age of the cap era up until this huccop of Kucherov coming back

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Tampa is an All-Star caliber team.

They are so blessed with depth, skill and team chemistry.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Best capoligist and team doctor

They have to have the best lawyers in the NHL if they were able to circumvent the f*** out of that cap unlike anything anyone's ever done.
Kind of wish the Blackhawks hired some of these dudes in prime years, they could have kept the band together back then instead of losing a legitimate top 6 forward or two every summer :laugh:

Reactions: Nucker101

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
No he couldn't.

What is the obsession hockey fans have with saying XXX is better than McDavid? No one is better than McDavid.
I think his mediocre playoff history is something that causes people to have doubts.

Also, the eye-test says he isn't the most complete player in the world. Granted, when you can outscore your opponents by X%, then being dominant defensively becomes less important. But there is an argument to be made that he wouldn't have the same offensive output if he was forced to play more of a two-game or played on a team where defensive accountability is important.

Personally, I think he is a supremely talented player with a lot of holes in his game. That doesn't mean he can't be the best player.

Jagr was the best player from 1997-2002, and he also had a lot of holes in his game. Lafleur was the best player from 1975-1980, and he also had a lot of holes in his game.

But McDavid definitely isn't the same type of player as Crosby, who became a stronger two-way player every season he played.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Yes, for the past few years. Tampa fans don't need a HFBoards validation thread. They have a Stanley Cup and are close to a consecutive.

Reactions: Hedmonster Bolt

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
McDavid literally just had the best regular season of any player dating back to like Jagr. He literally had over a 150 point pace this season.

Well lets see who does better without the covid divisions. Kucherov is at least in the conversation. McDavid may be ahead of him but let's not pretend it's not close. He's at a 135 point pace/82 against playoff teams right now....

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
So a covid asterisk? You imagined a planned cap ceiling that didn't happen. Then got a weird bail out on letting one of the best players on the planet sit the entire year to circumvent the SAME situations every other team went through.

Now to your point that I 100% agree with. Tampa sat their best player for the year and is still here. Imagine Buffalo or the Oilers etc etc doing that. They cant sniff the playoffs. That speaks to depth and drafting and you are spot on. Other teams should be jealous of that. Tampa is the icon of what teams should do.

However getting a world class athlete back "for free" while keeping that depth in tact deserves questioning. But Kudos for the squad being that good to not need him until now. But the NOW is what is in question.

P.S I'd kill for the drafting and scouting Tampa has done. Its remarkable in this day and age of the cap era up until this huccop of Kucherov coming back
First of all, anybody can put an Asterix beside a team if they don’t want them to win. Somehow it makes certain people feel better.

Without the pandemic, it would’ve been easy or certainly easier for the lightning to move just one contract and let the increase take care of the rest of the overage. Again, there is no cap in the playoffs to begin with, but lost in all this is the fact that the lightning are not the only team that’s over it. If you look across at the other side of the ice in this very series the Islanders are as well. But it’s always easier to find fault in the team that is the most talented

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad