Does size matter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
We are seeing a new NHL where the game has opened up finally. A lot of penalties are being called, and bad ones at that, but they are doing the right thing and hopefully will have it tweaked and evened out by mid season. I see smaller guys like Gionta and St Louis showing that they can hang with the big boys. I saw during the 2005 draft 2 monster d-men get taken in the first round, and saw some smaller players get taken higher then expected...Gerbe will be a stud!

Are we now to the point were big monster players will still be in demand, but offensive speedsters no matter the size will get a much better chance to make it now?

I am tired of seeing smaller players not get their shot, but always put up huge numbers where ever they go. I will be sick if a guy like Brett Sterling doesnt get his shot in the NHL because he is so talented. Perrin was another small player who had talent, but still left to go overseas this year albeit for the $$$. Chris Atkinson is a player for the US under 18 team for if he was just a few inches taller would go in the first round hands down. This has been stated by many publications about this kid. A few inches taller??? Does it really make that much of a difference on ice? I was always 6'0-6'2 in my playing days, but I never thought being 2 inches taller then a player made that much of a difference, yet a guy like this might not even be a third round pick because he is 5-9. It is really sad.

Who do you guys see out there that is small, but deserves the chance to make it to the NHL, either drafted or soon to be? And, do you think the NHL will start drafting a little differently now with the new game? Brian Gionta and Martin St Louis are 2 prime examples that size does not matter, I just hope they are not the only exceptions to the rule ina few years.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Even in today's "wide open" NHL, size still matters. Players who are small and play small will not make it despite their speed or offensive prowess.

Having said that, I really believe that size alone will no longer be a ticket to a NHL contract or tryout. A player is going to have to show that he has the required speed and talent to back up that size.

As for more smaller players making it, perhaps. Remember that ST Louis and Gionta were successful in the old NHL as well. As for my sleeper little guy who will have a good shot at the NHL; Saginaw Spirit's Ryan McDonough.

Transported Upstater

Size will always matter in the NHL.

But one thing is true: Being big and big alone gets you very little now.

If you are big and talented, such as Mats Sundin or Zdeno Chara, your size is simply another dimension of an already dynamic player; yet another difficult thing to deal with if you are an opponent. It just makes an opponent's task that much tougher.

Both players would be excellent at 6'3, but Sundin is 6'4-6'5', and Chara is the largest player in NHL history (as far as I know.) Their size is a major facet of their game, but certainly isn't the only thing they do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->