Does Shane Doan deserve to be on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
bearcat11 said:
Am I the only one who remembers Gretzky's 'recipe for success' where he insisted that his success was due to the fact that Team Canada consisted of the best players available. He said that they chose the best players, then they filled roles, rather than picking players to play roles. I'm pretty sure it was after gold in Salt Lake. What happened to that mentality? Now they're always concerned about a grinding line, what happened to picking the best players then letting them fill this role? I'm sick of the international grind line crap. Doan doesn't deserve to be on this team, along with others.

Preachin' to the choir baby

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I think he is the weakest winger team Canada has. Myabe apart from Smyth, who deserves to be there for his patriotic exploits. If Doan is the 13th forward, I think Staal is better suited for the job. Doan cannot fill in during a game for an injured center while Staal could fill in on any line as either a wing or a center as he plays both. Staal could also be used in important faceoff plays as a second just-in-case centerman.

Then again I think Spezza should have taken Draper's spot.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Slitty said:
Doan cannot fill in during a game for an injured center while Staal could fill in on any line as either a wing or a center as he plays both.

Watch a yotes game, and see that Doan has played center and can fill in several different roles. :teach:

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Shane Doan doesn't deserve to be in the NHL let alone on Team Canada. Are some of you telling me you can't teach Eric Staal to forecheck or play in your face hockey? Staal has size, speed and skill than Shane Doan can ever dream of. Shane Doan is so lucky he's playing for Wayne... thats about the only reason he's on the team... as for that smyth guy in edmonton, he's another farce.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Hart_House_Ca said:
Shane Doan doesn't deserve to be in the NHL let alone on Team Canada. Are some of you telling me you can't teach Eric Staal to forecheck or play in your face hockey? Staal has size, speed and skill than Shane Doan can ever dream of. Shane Doan is so lucky he's playing for Wayne... thats about the only reason he's on the team... as for that smyth guy in edmonton, he's another farce.

Why are people so ignorant? If Shane Doan played for the Leafs he'd be their best player. Help yourself and get NHL centre ice or do something. Man.

CoyotesIce99

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Ziggy Stardust said:
Shanahan should be there over Doan. Look at the year Shanny is having.

Did you even watch those hockey games in the 1998 & 2002 Olympic?

Shanahan was one of the worst players in the Olympic. He was slow & has struggled on bigger ice. After Canada won gold in 2002, Shanahan thanks the coaching staff for giving him a second chance of playing in the Olympic. He knew he has played poorly in the tournament. He was not even invited to pre Olympic camp for 2002 but got chosen because he had such good start in 2001/02 season & also the depth of experienced Canadian players were not as good back then.
So if anyone thinks 37yr old geriatric Shanahan should play for Canada again, I suggest you rewatch those hockey games again.

Macman

May 15, 2004
CoyotesIce99 said:
Did you even watch those hockey games in the 1998 & 2002 Olympic?

Shanahan was one of the worst players in the Olympic. He was slow & has struggled on bigger ice. After Canada won gold in 2002, Shanahan thanks the coaching staff for giving him a second chance of playing in the Olympic. He knew he has played poorly in the tournament. He was not even invited to pre Olympic camp for 2002 but got chosen because he had such good start in 2001/02 season & also the depth of experienced Canadian players were not as good back then.
So if anyone thinks 37yr old geriatric Shanahan should play for Canada again, I suggest you rewatch those hockey games again.

Amen to that.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
At the World Cup of hockey, Doan hit everything in sight and I fully expect him to do the same at the Olympics. When the games get tight, its guys like Doan who go to the net and get the 'dirty' goals.

Keep hittin' em Shane. You deserve to be on this team.

Note: Shanahan does NOT deserve to be on this team. He's already been to 2 Olympics and made little impact.

Kasparov*

Hart_House_Ca said:

AGREED!!!

Makes me sick just to even think about it...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hart_House_Ca said:

I lost all respect for you last year with your comments about our national junior team, when you suggested that Canada take as many players from PEI as Alberta. (And you were strangely silent after Canada won). You have showed your ignorance again. Doan doesn't deserve to be in the NHL? What are you basing that on? Is it the greatest offensive player of all time and a born winner picking Doan as his team's captain? Or is it Doan's five straight 20-plus goal seasons? Oh, I know why he doesn't belong in the NHL: he's averaged over 55 points the last five seasons. That has to be it.

To top it off, Doan has twice succeeded in shutting down the opposing team's best players in international play. Who else has that track record? He was excellent at the 2003 World Championships. He was even better at the 2004 World Cup. The DDT line was the best line at that tournament.

Doan is on Team Canada. Deal with it. Doan will be a key player for Canada on its checking line, and he will prove again why he's one of our best defensive players.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Hart_House_Ca said:
Terrible post. Feel free to pull your head out of your *** at any time.

Assasin05

Nov 20, 2005
Doan is Gretzky's captain. It was external factors that got him picked. Forget his skill or the type of player he is.

CHareth

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Rush5Collapse5 said:
2k6canolt7jw.jpg
You've posted this idiotic picture in virtually every thread here. Yeah, that Canada Olympic squad is really old. I mean there's a good number of them actually over 25! Can you believe that outrage?! I suggest if you're so into the flashy young stars of tomorrow you watch the WJCs. You don't even have to wait that long, as it's this month.

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't like Doan. I think he's a really dirty player. However, saying he doesn't belong in the NHL is ridiculous. The guy has offensive talent.

Do I think he belongs on Team Canada? No. As has been alluded to, if you're going to go for a shutdown player, you might as well go all the way and not just pick a scorer who CAN play a shutdown role.

However, I don't think he'll be a detriment to the team, so I don't really mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad