Does Shane Doan deserve to be on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geese_Howard*

I think he shouldnt be on this team, I dont think he should be on the taxi list

anyone gonna defend him? staal AND spezza have proven they belong here.

doan is a good pker and decent 2 way player but so are the double S's

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ziggy Stardust said:
Shanahan should be there over Doan. Look at the year Shanny is having.

not only the year he is having, the all important "experience" they keep preaching as well. Both are basically the same kind of player and are wingers so you can't use the well player x is a center excuse we need wingers.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Doan is one of the best two way players in the game. He's not putting up the points on the board so far this year but so what. If anybody has watched any Pheniox games you know what he brings.

If you worried about "his points" i'm sure they will be up to par come Feb. But big deal. Doan can bring it. And it's not just Gretzky who knows this.

Geese_Howard*

im glad many of you agree with my point

doan DOES not deserve to be mentioned with team canada this year. he has been very very dissapointing

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
RUSqueelin said:
Doan is one of the best two way players in the game. He's not putting up the points on the board so far this year but so what. If anybody has watched any Pheniox games you know what he brings.

If you worried about "his points" i'm sure they will be up to par come Feb. But big deal. Doan can bring it. And it's not just Gretzky who knows this.

So is Morrow...but Morrow is having a WAY better year this year...just goes to show the "scouting" they were doing was a joke. This team was picked 6 months ago

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
He's not going to be asked to score goals. He's on there to shut down the opposition. And when you look at his track record, he's been our best checking line winger starting with the 2003 Worlds. He was a key player in winning golds at the 2003 Worlds and the 2004 World Cup. Every time he plays for Canada, he takes his play to another level.

The only player that I would consider that wasn't named to the team (roster or taxi) instead of Doan is Morrow. Morrow is young, he's gritty, he can handle the international ice. But Doan was a key part of Canada's checking line at the 2004 World Cup. Morrow was a press box regular.

Shanahan has always struggled on Olympic ice. Love the guy, he's playing his best hockey in six years, I'd back him for the HHOF, but he'd struggle in the Olympics.

If Doan isn't a checking line forward, who else on this team is? We do need a checking line, whether you like it or not.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Flyguy_1ca said:
This team was picked 6 months ago

Then why are guys like spezza, stall and turco on the team and taxi squad?

Jericho

Oct 1, 2002
Visit site
Short Answer:

No.

Longer Answer:

Even if he's there for his defense. Other players bring more to the table as a complete player. It's not like Doan isn't going to be asked to score goals. Even as a defensive-oriented player, you can and will score goals. If you're on the ice, you will have that opportunity. And there are guys who can do the ENTIRE job better.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
pjbth said:
Then why are guys like spezza, stall and turco on the team and taxi squad?

In order to shut people up. If this team was picked now..they would have made the real team not the taxi squad.

Staal is the league MVP right now...and he's on the taxi squad? lol

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
I feel he belongs there bt probably didn't deserve with it

I would like to see a shutdown line of Smyth Draper Doan - defense and scoring all in one

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Flyguy_1ca said:
In order to shut people up. If this team was picked now..they would have made the real team not the taxi squad.

Staal is the league MVP right now...and he's on the taxi squad? lol

You can't just pick the leagues top scorers and put them on a team. Stall has to play on the top 2 lines to be effective, same as spezza. I cannot honestly say even as a sens fan that stall or spezza should be there over Heatly, Sakic, Iginla, Gagne, Thorton, Richards, Nash or Lecavalier who could all play on the top 2 lines

Jericho

Oct 1, 2002
Visit site
pjbth said:
You can't just pick the leagues top scorers and put them on a team. Stall has to play on the top 2 lines to be effective, same as spezza. I cannot honestly say even as a sens fan that stall or spezza should be there over Heatly, Sakic, Iginla, Gagne, Thorton, Richards, Nash or Lecavalier who could all play on the top 2 lines

What does that even mean? Playing on the top two lines means nothing. Just being on the ice is what's important, and Staal or Spezza can be effective no matter what line it is. Here's a hypothetical I'd throw out. Two player, one gets to make the squad

Player A: Excellent defensive player, limited offense. Paired against the other team's top line, he'll generally shut them down. But he won't score at all either. Net resut when he plays: 2 goals allowed, 0 goals scored (-2)

Player B: Solid defensive player, but not nearly as a good as Player A. Very good offensive player, however. He will not fare as well defensively, but will score much more. Even when paired against the other team's top scoring line. Next result when he plays: 4 goals allowed, 5 goals scored (+1)

Which do you choose? Logic states you choose Player B, as he helps the team more, even though he's not as good defesnively. Yet, some think the team absolutely must have pure defense guys. Well team Canada does have pure defensive guys, they are called defensemen. For the forwards, I'd want the guy who brings the most to the table.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jericho said:
What does that even mean? Playing on the top two lines means nothing. Just being on the ice is what's important, and Staal or Spezza can be effective no matter what line it is. Here's a hypothetical I'd throw out. Two player, one gets to make the squad

Player A: Excellent defensive player, limited offense. Paired against the other team's top line, he'll generally shut them down. But he won't score at all either. Net resut when he plays: 2 goals allowed, 0 goals scored (-2)

Player B: Solid defensive player, but not nearly as a good as Player A. Very good offensive player, however. He will not fare as well defensively, but will score much more. Even when paired against the other team's top scoring line. Next result when he plays: 4 goals allowed, 5 goals scored (+1)

Which do you choose? Logic states you choose Player B, as he helps the team more, even though he's not as good defesnively. Yet, some think the team absolutely must have pure defense guys. Well team Canada does have pure defensive guys, they are called defensemen. For the forwards, I'd want the guy who brings the most to the table.

Agree except penalty killing and leading late in the third.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
2k6canolt7jw.jpg

IdiotsPickedMyName*

You are greatly under-estimating the benefit of shut-down players. What happens when your line of player B's meets a line of player A's, i'll tell you, the line of player b's don't score. Also by playing your shutdown line against the other teams top line it allows your top lines to play against lesser talent, making it easier for them to score.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Rush5Collapse5 said:

Average age of Team Canada - 29.

(funny pic but shakes head)

Guys, I have a great Idea. How about watching some Pheniox games. Or perhaps a recap of the World Cup which was played 14 months ago (not 14 years ago). Check it Thornton and Doan were the best line and 2 best players in the final game.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Morrow is younger, tougher, best in his own end, and has better offensive numbers. Doan is only there because he plays in Phoenix.

bearcat11

Mar 14, 2005
Nova Scotia
Am I the only one who remembers Gretzky's 'recipe for success' where he insisted that his success was due to the fact that Team Canada consisted of the best players available. He said that they chose the best players, then they filled roles, rather than picking players to play roles. I'm pretty sure it was after gold in Salt Lake. What happened to that mentality? Now they're always concerned about a grinding line, what happened to picking the best players then letting them fill this role? I'm sick of the international grind line crap. Doan doesn't deserve to be on this team, along with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->