Speculation: Does Shanahan have any say in how this team is being run?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shanny and Dubie likely have 2 more playoffs to decide their futures. If they make playoffs and are gone round 1 for next 2 years then see ya later is my guess. Toronto needs to be a place where you win or you are gone.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The beer bellied slump shouldered ex house league "hockey men" of HF have decided that Shanahan has either gone hands off or has "changed." Because otherwise it means that a tough as nails hall of fame powerforward likes where this team is going, and that they're a bunch of impatient ninnies that misread the direction of the team and would have torn it apart at the seams to toughen the roster in the short term rather than waiting to add to the core when able.

I call this the Chicago effect.

Everyone wants to tank for a few years, draft a dream team, then go on a dynasty run.

No one wants to emulate a team like St. Louis, that was laughed off for years, until they finally put it together for a run. St. Louis is the much more realistic way to win. Chicago was icing the best team in hockey for 5 years, and it was only possible due to loosey-goosey cap rules.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Shanny and Dubie likely have 2 more playoffs to decide their futures. If they make playoffs and are gone round 1 for next 2 years then see ya later is my guess. Toronto needs to be a place where you win or you are gone.
guess we'll have a ton of roster turnover then :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
guess we'll have a ton of roster turnover then :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
What will be will be ... no one says to us guys footing da bill for our Leafs ... look team has sucked so we are reducing your sponsorship next year. Maybe next year with a ton of us having deferred our seats (but kept our seat licenses) for 1 year the Leafs may get message as my guess seat prices will drop in half next year. There will not be any issues with playing in front of 5,000.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I think this is obvious. Even the most supportive of us would say 2 years of not competing deep into the playoffs, and the writing starts to clearly be written on the wall for management.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think this is obvious. Even the most supportive of us would say 2 years of not competing deep into the playoffs, and the writing starts to clearly be written on the wall for management.
We need to push past Tampa which we can do. Boston is a b*tch because they have team that makes us cry uncle. Bergeron > Tavares. Rask > Freddy. Their defense > our defense. So bottom line Matty needs to take Krejci to the cleaners in a real bad way. Like needs to beat him by 2 goals each game. I hope da kid has it in him. But if we beat Boston mark my words it will be because Matty king daddies da series. and Clifford will likely have to step up to both Ritchie and then Chara and not get rocked. Boston will shoot their bullets and Clifford has to make sure we don't get intimidated.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Toronto needs to be a place where you win or you are gone.

That's really easy to say... but like, how often do you have to win? It's a 31 team league and even if you're doing things right, you'll still go decades at a time without winning. If you're turning over your GM every couple years with no regard for context, you're just going to have a cycle of firing people.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That's really easy to say... but like, how often do you have to win? It's a 31 team league and even if you're doing things right, you'll still go decades at a time without winning. If you're turning over your GM every couple years with no regard for context, you're just going to have a cycle of firing people.
Winners are hard to find. But they are out there. Losers are everywhere. Like my dad always says find me a busy successful guy and give him da chance. Shanny has put his confidence in Dubie. Dubie has won at pro level so deserves his chance.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

How many cracks did Washington have against Pittsburgh?
Vancouver against Chicago?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You literally just mentioned 2 times when he "admitted" to his mistakes.

Just say what you really want to say - you don't like Dubas and you want him fired.

I do want him fired, but he's just a puppet for Shanny. He's not a real GM like Lou was/is.

Shanny was dead set on making sure he cleared the tracks for Dubas (who he bet on initially). But now it's painfully clear how much damage Dubas and Shanny have done. I'd like to see them both gone and replaced by hockey executives who have won as hockey executives. Not a kid who had mild success one year in junior and a president who has no track record of success as an executive.

I've said this before on here. We should be the team that hires guys like Dubas or Shanny once they have won somewhere else (in the NHL). We shouldn't be the training wheels franchise. We're not the Coyotes. But we act like we are.

Reactions: Beaumaris

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
I do want him fired, but he's just a puppet for Shanny. He's not a real GM like Lou was/is.

Shanny was dead set on making sure he cleared the tracks for Dubas (who he bet on initially). But now it's painfully clear how much damage Dubas and Shanny have done. I'd like to see them both gone and replaced by hockey executives who have won as hockey executives. Not a kid who had mild success one year in junior and a president who has no track record of success as an executive.

I've said this before on here. We should be the team that hires guys like Dubas or Shanny once they have won somewhere else (in the NHL). We shouldn't be the training wheels franchise. We're not the Coyotes. But we act like we are.
It was quite fun winning playoff rounds with that "winning exec and coach" we had. It was really awesome of that winning exec to get Willy Nylander signed early and to a reasonable cap hit.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It was quite fun winning playoff rounds with that "winning exec and coach" we had. It was really awesome of that winning exec to get Willy Nylander signed early and to a reasonable cap hit.
Yep, not much has changed.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

You mean like Lou and Babcock? The guys who had ELC level stars and couldn't win a round?

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and kb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You mean like Lou and Babcock? The guys who had ELC level stars and couldn't win a round?

I mean the guys steering the ship when we set the franchise record for points after taking over when we were a disaster.

I mean the GM that after being pushed aside went over to a team that was expected to be bottom five and then went deeper in the playoffs than our team.

I mean the GM that even after year two is still ahead of us.

I mean the guys who have their names on the Cup. Those guys.

Reactions: Henkka

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Shanny is to blame for Nylander not being signed. Talk to people who know Lou. He had a plan to deal with all three. Shanny wanted Dubas to do all three deals because he thought Dubas was a revolutionary negotiator. Shanny was wrong. Again.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010

Like it's that easy that you steal away Jimmy Devellano (with his staff) from Detroit during his prime years. Actually if you're chasing past winners you're actually hiring recent losers, because they have been fired (for not having success).

When we hired Lou he had failed pretty badly with the Devils.

You rather be ahead of the curve than chasing it. Gretzky always went where the puck would be, not where it was. Same applies to organizations. You rather find the winning edge by yourself rather than just copy others or hire some has beens.

If you apply your logic you end up being New York Rangers that is hiring bobby holiks of the world, because why bother drafting some lottery tickets, when you can buy your success.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Like it's that easy that you steal away Jimmy Devellano (with his staff) from Detroit during his prime years. Actually if you're chasing past winners you're actually hiring recent losers, because they have been fired (for not having success).

You rather be ahead of the curve than chasing it. Gretzky always went where the puck would be, not where it was. Same applies to organizations. You rather find the winning edge by yourself rather than just copy others or hire some has beens.

If you apply your logic you end up being New York Rangers that is hiring bobby holiks of the world, because why bother drafting some lottery tickets, when you can buy your success.
I love this post

Reactions: Menzinger and deprw

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I mean the guys steering the ship when we set the franchise record for points after taking over when we were a disaster.

I mean the GM that after being pushed aside went over to a team that was expected to be bottom five and then went deeper in the playoffs than our team.

I mean the GM that even after year two is still ahead of us.

I mean the guys who have their names on the Cup. Those guys.

The guys who played Brown higher in the line up than Marner.

The guys who signed Marleau to an awful contract that set us back a year prospect wise.

The guys who haven't won anything since their brand of hockey was outlawed.

The guys who are excited to give players like Zaitsev long term deals.

How many combined playoff series wins did they have while they had 3 stars on ELCs?

ZERO.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Shanny is to blame for Nylander not being signed. Talk to people who know Lou. He had a plan to deal with all three. Shanny wanted Dubas to do all three deals because he thought Dubas was a revolutionary negotiator. Shanny was wrong. Again.

So what are your sources there, Nick? Or are you just bullshitting (again)?

Reactions: kb

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

While.i dont have anything particular dislike of Lou, i do find it strange how much on a pedestal by some folks. He hasnt had any sustained success in thr salary cap era NHL other than that flukey Devils cup run.

And yes he made some good moves while GM here, but claims of him having this master plan seem pretty dubious - particularly since his plan to remain the Leafs D core was Hainsey and Zaitsev......

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad