Does Ron Rolston make it through the entire season?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reading the player comments after the Ranger game, I want to change my vote. Even with slow-moving Regier, the team is going over the edge and a move must be made.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
No, because it's clearly obvious now that we got some clear view of how he is as a coach that he doesn't belong at this level. He's simply not a good coach and it would be stupid to hold on to a bad coach by Darcy just to protect his ego.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
The plan was to tank this year, and Rolston is definitely leading that charge.

I highly doubt Ronnie was kept in hopes of him being the guy that eventually leads this team to the cup. Clearly he's not going to be able to do that. But he's the perfect guy to keep until the team is ready to start competing again (2015-2016 season). Come that point, you bring in an actual NHL coach to win you games. And Ronnie will leave having done what he was supposed to do. Teach the kids how to play and bottom out bringing in top 3 draft picks in both 2014 and 2015.

Come on do people really think a GM would hire someone as a Coach to intentionally free fall due to his ineptness, then fire him when the teams plan for the future is close? Oh my DR must be a real mean man to purposely do that.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Of course he sticks around. He's exactly the type of non-threatening and inconsequent coach that Regier needs to insulate himself with. Which is exactly why he hired him without the slightest forethought in the first place.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
After we lose the next 8 games, something will need to happen. I don't know if it's going to be Rolston getting canned, but 2-20-1 is not tolerable. I understand that the Sabres are essentially purposely tanking, but they aren't doing this in the vacuum of the HF Sabres Board. The goal may be to rebuild and accumulate draft picks, but that kind of record will not fly in the NHL. Pressure will build from the outside (and the inside) and something will have to give.

I agree. It's one thing to do badly but do you want to own the worst record in NHL history? Or the worst of an non-expansion year. That'll stick with a franchise.

Fire him.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
These guys don't just have a bad record. I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse product. That's what's going to suffocate the development of these prospects. Not the losses. You can lose and still resemble an NHL team.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Reading the player comments after the Ranger game, I want to change my vote. Even with slow-moving Regier, the team is going over the edge and a move must be made.

Bringing Cunnyworth into the organization has made me have second thoughts as well.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think Rolston is terrible enough that keeping him may be a detriment to the development of the young players. Maybe not, but whatever individual improvements they may get from Rolston's teaching may also come from any other coach. Whatever improvement they do see may be offset by the miserable losing mentality that can/will set in after 1-2 years and ~115~ losses.

I think in another situation Regier would fully consider, or be pressured into, firing Rolston after much more of this. Because they are already in tank mode, and more importantly because of the McDavid carrot in 2015, I think the whole front office decides to keep Rolston for at least this season and next. I think the decent chance of landing McDavid will skew the thought process and give Rolston more time.

I've generally been happy with Regier as a GM, but once the 2015 draft is over the coaching decision will be my litmus test for whether he should be replaced as well.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
There is a difference between saying his opinion like this case ("I say..."), and when he's reporting something he's heard from around the (presumed) office.

It's a fine line though, and he needs to be careful with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->