Does Ron Rolston make it through the entire season?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Rolston gets one full season from a pretty patient GM who obviously has ownership's support.

He could get canned early next season, but that decision won't come down to W/L's. It'll come down to the specific development of key prospects. That is, if our vets stink to high heaven and the kids actually keep games close, he'll be here even if the team's record stinks.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
The plan was to tank this year, and Rolston is definitely leading that charge.

I highly doubt Ronnie was kept in hopes of him being the guy that eventually leads this team to the cup. Clearly he's not going to be able to do that. But he's the perfect guy to keep until the team is ready to start competing again (2015-2016 season). Come that point, you bring in an actual NHL coach to win you games. And Ronnie will leave having done what he was supposed to do. Teach the kids how to play and bottom out bringing in top 3 draft picks in both 2014 and 2015.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Why does everyone assume he's actually good at developing NHL players? It's not like he's proven he is. It remains to be seen and certainly shouldn't be assumed.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Why does everyone assume he's actually good at developing NHL players? It's not like he's proven he is. It remains to be seen and certainly shouldn't be assumed.

I really have no idea. Probably because he coached young players his whole life, but that doesnt mean he develops NHL talent.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

One of the benefits of Rolston's promotion to the NHL -- he's not in the AHL "developing" the next batch of NHL talent.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
As incompetent we may think he is, he has no talent or inexperienced talent all over the roster.

Blaming Rolston for this mess is just pointless. That said, I do think they should have had a better record, but maybe some players have checked out of Buffalo already. Thinking about their next team.
Playing a system that somehow manages to be more boring than Ruff's isn't helping.

All I want is a coach who sends two forecheckers past the goal line with regularity.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Even as he hinders it to date?

Has he?
My biggest problem with him was his treatment of Larsson, but it's obvious to me hes giving him ice time now.

Ultimately the 3rd line center spot is between larsson and Grigorenko. Grigorenko has been much better this season compared to last year.
I think Larsson has looked better, but Grigorenko has finally showed some willingness to battle, and is starting to produce scoring chances. He's being rewarded with the third line center duty. It's the competition that's bringing the best out of him. I'm fine with it. Larsson has been good, too, but Grigorenko is being rewarded based on his recent play, and i have no problems with that, as i think Larsson has been rewarded for his good play as well. Once tropp and kaleta come back, i think larsson will be centering them, and taking on a shutdown role. Girgs will be centering Girgs and flynn or leino and ott. I think those lines will get their playing time. I think both of those lines will split third line duty.

Girgs, pysyk, risto, zadorov, and larsson have all looked good this year. Id be worried if he was giving them all top line minutes, and putting them in roles they weren't ready for, but that's not the case. He's easing them in, and rewarding good play with more ice time. Zadorov and Risto are getting more minutes if I'm not mistaken. Girgs was out for the final minute last game. Grigs has been benched when he's shown little effort, and given ice time when he's put forth effort. Larsson was treated unfairly early on, but he's getting his minutes now. Pysyk has been leaned on heavily because he has been steady the whole year.

I've also liked his line combos and defensive pairings the past few games. I need more time before i truly am able to assess him, but rolston, like the team, has looked better recently.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Playing a system that somehow manages to be more boring than Ruff's isn't helping.

All I want is a coach who sends two forecheckers past the goal line with regularity.

Yep. What is he afraid of? We're giving up a ridiculous amount of shots and getting killed in possession, so we're not gaining anything from not having an aggressive forecheck.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Im not a hockey x and o guy, others here would better explain what he is trying to do. Did he change anything the last game, I was happy with the performance pretty much. Probably the most entertaining game they gave played.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yep. What is he afraid of? We're giving up a ridiculous amount of shots and getting killed in possession, so we're not gaining anything from not having an aggressive forecheck.

Agreed. Let the goaltenders continue to go full-Fuhr, let the forwards maybe generate a few more hits/chances/goals to keep the masses entertained. Is there that much to be gained by losing 2-1 vs losing 4-3?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Im not a hockey x and o guy, others here would better explain what he is trying to do. Did he change anything the last game, I was happy with the performance pretty much. Probably the most entertaining game they gave played.

Biggest difference was the players were energized and the top line was buzzing (specifically Ennis). I'm about to rewatch the game now because I was half-asleep during it, but I don't think they were doing anything different schematically. The line construction was good, Foligno at center and Ennis at wing has been a definite improvement, etc.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I think he lasts until the offseason, but I'm unsure what metric Regier is using to evaluate his progress.

If Rolston is there to just provide meaningful experience via appropriately given ice time for the rookies, so far, he has done moderately well. From their first few games, Ristolainen, Zadorov, and Girgensons were put in positions where there was not too much asked of them and they responded accordingly. His handling of Grigorenko and Larsson is a bit more questionable, but so much is asked of a centre iceman that unless you count yourself among the Crosbies and his ilk, the transition to the pace and positioning of the NHL is more difficult to adapt to for a centreman.

If Rolston is there to be the new Jacques Lemaire and turn a group of some good players, some table scraps, and a great goalkeeper into a team that can implement a system to play lock down defense so that they can punch above their weight, I think he fails miserably. There isn't much structure to how the Sabres play, but really, that also hinges upon the talent issue.

To be honest, I think he lasts until mid next season or the end of next season, unless Regier and co think that the young talent is stagnating rather than developing under Rolston's tutelage. I'm still undecided if he's clearly in over his head, or, that he just doesn't have much to work with talent wise.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
What I don't like about Rolston is what I can see. I don't think he has the emotional maturity to handle losses. Most of his post game press conferences do not set a good example for the young players.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

I'm not assuming he's good, but I'm assuming that if they didn't think he was any good, he'd be on his way out soon.

Because there's no other redeeming qualities to him

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Whether or not he's good at working with young players, the team's performance in every single first period this season shows that he doesn't know how to prepare a team at the NHL level. Their goal and shot differentials in the first are beyond embarrassing, and that speaks to coaching.

That said, he makes it through the year.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Whether or not he's good at working with young players, the team's performance in every single first period this season shows that he doesn't know how to prepare a team at the NHL level. Their goal and shot differentials in the first are beyond embarrassing, and that speaks to coaching.

I don't see how the first period is any more or less related to coaching than the second or third period.

If anything, you might make the argument that coaches help players make adjustments between periods that players can't figure out for themselves, and so improving as the game goes on is a good sign for coaching.

Not that I find that convincing, either. More than anything, I don't find any particular pattern in which periods are good ones/bad ones probative of coaching at all.

mcove

Aug 11, 2013
I feel really sorry for Ron Rolston.
Yes, he is absolutely incompetent. He's very defensive and arrogant during most interviews and post-game press-conferences and tends to put all the blame on the players. His demeanor is annoying.
But thinking about it what would you do if you were Ron Rolston. He can't just leave because that would be the end of his coaching career (in NHL for sure).
He has no idea how to improve the team performance and keeps saying it is all about the effort and working hard (you don't need to be a coach to "preach" that). The team is young and unexperienced, some veterans are disgruntled and I suspect they are not happy about Rolston coaching them.
It looks like Sacco is actually responsible for the game tactics and it is obvious he sucks at it. So, no help for Ron from there either.
Rolston is trapped and there is no way out. I don't know if he expected that when he was signing the contract. But now it just looks like it was all masterminded by Darcy and Rolston is just being used as a pawn in this game.
And by the way that is probably why Darcy did not even consider others for the coach's job.
Anyways, I know this whole situation is frustrating for Rolston as much as for the fans.
So I feel sorry for the guy.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
After we lose the next 8 games, something will need to happen. I don't know if it's going to be Rolston getting canned, but 2-20-1 is not tolerable. I understand that the Sabres are essentially purposely tanking, but they aren't doing this in the vacuum of the HF Sabres Board. The goal may be to rebuild and accumulate draft picks, but that kind of record will not fly in the NHL. Pressure will build from the outside (and the inside) and something will have to give.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The answer should be no way in he double hockey sticks. But I voted reality and accept that he's here thru the season. And probably, a bit longer.

I actually feel sorry for our players.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The answer should be no way in he double hockey sticks. But I voted reality and accept that he's here thru the season. And probably, a bit longer.

I actually feel sorry for our players.

So do I.

@BuffNewsVogl: The latest embarrassing loss made it clear to the Sabres what are terrible, terrible place they are in. http://t.co/UKg85GVFjE

The article linked in Vogl's tweet gives a hint of the disconnect between the players and coaches. The comments from the players lets us know how much of a trainwreck this team is mentally and that's on Rolston.

I have no idea how anyone can read that article and not realize Rolston is part of the problem.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I've never been a "Fire Darcy" guy, but at this point I'd really love a different set of eyes to come in here and evaluate everything. That would mean I'm on board for DR going and Rolston with him.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I've never been a "Fire Darcy" guy, but at this point I'd really love a different set of eyes to come in here and evaluate everything. That would mean I'm on board for DR going and Rolston with him.

There's no way that would happen during the season though - at least in my opinion. I would like that too though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->