Does Rantanen go ahead of Marner in a re-draft?

Who gets picked first?

• Total voters

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Rantanen would definitely go higher than 10 in a re-draft. SUCH a strong draft. Here is my top 10 re-draft:

1. McDavid
2. Marner
3. Eichel
4. Aho
5. Rantanen
6. Barzal
7. Boeser
8. Connor
9. Chabot
10. Provorov

Then there's still Meier, Werenski, DeBrusk etc. It's all personal preference but such a difficult draft to reassess. The 6-10 to me is interchangeable and I wouldn't disagree with anyone putting in Werenski or Meier in there.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Rantanen would definitely go higher than 10 in a re-draft. SUCH a strong draft. Here is my top 10 re-draft:

1. McDavid
2. Marner
3. Eichel
4. Aho
5. Rantanen
6. Barzal
7. Boeser
8. Connor
9. Chabot
10. Provorov

Then there's still Meier, Werenski, DeBrusk etc. It's all personal preference but such a difficult draft to reassess. The 6-10 to me is interchangeable and I wouldn't disagree with anyone putting in Werenski or Meier in there.

Wasn't Aho a 2nd rounder? Crazy how he slipped so low.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Marner would go ahead of him but I think both will have eerily similar production over their careers while doing it in completely different ways.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Voted Marner, because he's more of a finished product right now, even though it's close.

But, I think Rantanen still has room to improve as he learns to use his size and strength more and gets stronger on his skates, and could eventually end up behind only McDavid in future redrafts.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Voted Marner, because he's more of a finished product right now, even though it's close.

But, I think Rantanen still has room to improve as he learns to use his size and strength more and gets stronger on his skates, and could eventually end up behind only McDavid in future redrafts.
That's fair I think there's some areas that Marner can improve as well.
Rants being bigger def could have even more room to improve though.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Probably Marner still, similar production with less opportunity. I think if you were redrafting 2015, that tier behind Eichel expands to include Rantanen, Barzal, Aho, Provorov, maybe Werenski/Boeser. Hell of a draft
Marner, Rants and Aho have had better seasons than Eichel to this point. I would say they're on the same tier. Eichel obviously should get some benefit of the doubt for known reasons but it's not like he's McDavid who has clearly separated himself.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
If Rantanen played for Leafs they would keep him over Marner. And they would keep Marner over him now when they have Marner.
I think they are pretty equal and Marner obviously gets the most love because he plays in Toronto. If i had to pick one i think i would go with Rantanen but its a toss-up.

Rantanen is a beast, so big and strong but also agile and is very similar to Barkov in how he plays even if he is a winger. They look almost identical when they have the puck but Barkov has that extra level in terms of sick plays and obviously is a Selke type center.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Rant easily, you'll see in the playoffs
To be fair Marner was a beast against Boston last year and his memorial cup was probably the second best in recent memory only being bettered by Mackinnon’s. He also had an amazing OHL playoff resume. He’s a playoff performer for sure.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Marner, Rants and Aho have had better seasons than Eichel to this point. I would say they're on the same tier. Eichel obviously should get some benefit of the doubt for known reasons but it's not like he's McDavid who has clearly separated himself.
I still think Eichel goes ahead of that tier for almost everyone in a re-draft, maybe that's worth a poll in itself. Center+potential still gives him a boost in my eyes

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
These guys are so good and so close that I think there the kinda comparisons thell always go back in forth in these rankings for their careers. I voted Marner now but at times I have had Rantanen ahead of him . Always a good poll

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I would rank him ahead of them but not in a separate tier
by performance I'd agree, but I think he gets extra consideration for the position/potential combo, and I think he'd get picked at the head of that tier at a high enough clip to be considered a different tier. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that if a redraft was taking place for 2015, the tier that Marner was considered to be on would expand by quite a bit because of the emergence of some really good players....and ironically I think he's the only one that was on that tier in 2015 who would still be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad