Does Pittsburgh still win the cup in 2016 and 2017 if they did NOT win the cup in 2009?

Bleed orange

Mar 28, 2013
Hypothetical question.

Although it annoys me as a Flyers fan to see what Pittsburgh has done, I have always been curious if them not winning the cup in 2009 would have changed the course of NHL history since then.

For example, if they didn’t win in 09, would they have still stuck with their core from 2010-2015, despite many disappointing playoff exits in those years? (I would think every exit from 2010-2015 was considered a “dissapointment” except for 2011 vs TBL).

Would they maybe have moved one of Crosby or Malkin? Would they have blown up more of their core than they did? I would surely figure Bylsma wouldn’t have gotten as long a leash without that 09 cup, but what do I know.

I think it’s fair to assume they probably wouldn’t have at least 1 of the 2016/2017 cups, but what do you guys think?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If they didn't win in 2009, they still would have gone to the Stanley Cup Finals back-to-back.

That's disappointing, sure, because no one wants to go that far and lose. It certainly wouldn't have been a sign that the core needed to be blown up, though.

Reactions: BHD

Bleed orange

Mar 28, 2013
I didn’t mean they would have blown it up after 09 if they had lost... but would they have blown it up after, say 2012 or 2013, if they didn’t win the 09 cup.

Would they have blown it up at an earlier time rather than sticking through it

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
tbh, there was a lot of discussions to move Malkin and keep Staal back then.

I remeber an interview with Shero, when he said that he was kept being asked why wouldn't he move Malkin. and he would point to the SC banner for the answer.

hard to say, though. I also believe that that 2009 Cup bought a ton of extra time for Shero/Bylsma. who's to say they don't get canned after that 2012 Flyers series, and the Pens start winning the later Cups earlier than 2016?

Shero/Bylsma cost the Penguins a couple of Cups, imo.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Assuming the following years brought the same results then yeah I think they might have moved Crosby or Malkin in like 2013 or 2014. Or maybe they just stick with it. Obviously no way of knowing or even having a slight idea.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I didn’t mean they would have blown it up after 09 if they had lost... but would they have blown it up after, say 2012 or 2013, if they didn’t win the 09 cup.

Would they have blown it up at an earlier time rather than sticking through it

If we're playing the what if game, Pens likely win several cups after 2009 if Crosby/Malkin are entirely healthy and Fluery is shot into the sun

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
you don't get better by trading elite players, you build around them

the only thing that would've changed is bylsma would've been fired 2 years earlier

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
i think fleury is potentially the only one they would've moved if they lost in 09, those debacles in the playoffs would've looked much worse without the cup win on his resume

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Assuming the following years brought the same results then yeah I think they might have moved Crosby or Malkin in like 2013 or 2014. Or maybe they just stick with it. Obviously no way of knowing or even having a slight idea.

Move Crosby or Malkin? Nahhh

Have the caps moved Ovi despite never making it past the second round?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Hypothetical question.

Although it annoys me as a Flyers fan to see what Pittsburgh has done, I have always been curious if them not winning the cup in 2009 would have changed the course of NHL history since then.

For example, if they didn’t win in 09, would they have still stuck with their core from 2010-2015, despite many disappointing playoff exits in those years? (I would think every exit from 2010-2015 was considered a “dissapointment” except for 2011 vs TBL).

Would they maybe have moved one of Crosby or Malkin? Would they have blown up more of their core than they did? I would surely figure Bylsma wouldn’t have gotten as long a leash without that 09 cup, but what do I know.

I think it’s fair to assume they probably wouldn’t have at least 1 of the 2016/2017 cups, but what do you guys think?

If anything it would of started the coaching change sooner. The year before Shero and Blysma was fired Mario wanted to make a coaching change and also did not want the Kunitz and Duper contracts reuped. Shero talked him into staying the course which is why he was also fired the next season. Mario was quoted as saying he felt the team lost a year.

I don’t believe at any time Mario would of traded Crosby, Malkin, or Letang. I could of seen Fleury after those poor playoffs.

I hate my auto correct on my phone so when you see some words spelled weird just realize that is what is going on. I hate when you have to keep going back because it changes the word you type. I fixed most I think.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad