Does Ovechkin remind anyone of Lafleur?

• Thread starter mario66lemieux*
  • Start date

mario66lemieux*

Watching the pens/caps game today, the way Ovechkin just bursts into the attacking zone every single time he gets the puck, the way he tries to go end to end and takes a shot, combined with his stickhandling style and crazy speed... he really reminds me of Lafleur.

What do you think?

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I think Ovechkin reminds me of a young Jeremy Roenick

Obviously, Ovechkin is much better, but I am talking about style and showmanship, as well as willingness to dish out a hit. It was the first guy I thought of when Ovechkin broke into the scene

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Other than the obvious Lafleur was a RW while Ovechkin is a LW. I see some similarities, Ovechkin is bigger though and while both are pretty even in the goal scoring department I find that Lafleur was the better playmaker able to use his teammates much better than Ovechkin. Just my thought

Sweety

Dec 2, 2008
Other than the obvious Lafleur was a RW while Ovechkin is a LW. I see some similarities, Ovechkin is bigger though and while both are pretty even in the goal scoring department I find that Lafleur was the better playmaker able to use his teammates much better than Ovechkin. Just my thought

Yes, he does to me too. Lafleur could have won 6 Art Ross in a row (but for - a Sittler slash in 75, no linemates in 79 and 80) and Ovechkin wont but the similarity is this: you watch the game and its Lafleur and its Ovechkin. You are riveted by what you are seeing and you know its special. Happens once in a generation.

Ovechkin with 8 other HoFer's on the Caps....

I have dvd of a 1975 season summary and Lafleur is very Ovechkin like - fearless and top speed stickhandling.

Guys like Thornton19 remember only the Cherry game Lafleur - worn out from overuse in 79 (and still by far the best player). They should watch earlier Lafleur with the Koho or Louisville short stick not the long Sherwood.ie Game 4 1977 Finals.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Yes, he does to me too. Lafleur could have won 6 Art Ross in a row (but for - a Sittler slash in 75, no linemates in 79 and 80) and Ovechkin wont but the similarity is this: you watch the game and its Lafleur and its Ovechkin. You are riveted by what you are seeing and you know its special. Happens once in a generation.

Ovechkin with 8 other HoFer's on the Caps....

I have dvd of a 1975 season summary and Lafleur is very Ovechkin like - fearless and top speed stickhandling.

Guys like Thornton19 remember only the Cherry game Lafleur - worn out from overuse in 79 (and still by far the best player). They should watch earlier Lafleur with the Koho or Louisville short stick not the long Sherwood.ie Game 4 1977 Finals.

What the heck are you talking about?

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Well , not necessarily hockey-wise but I think they share a lot of similarities when it comes to things like exitement for example. Lafleur was by far the most exiting player of his time while Ovie is his modern counterpart. Another similarity might be their love for the game. You can see that those two just love what they are doing.

But I hope that Ovie never ever records a disco single.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad