Does Nonis/Carlyle care any more about winning shootouts than previous mgmt/coaches?

Burke

Oct 6, 2011
Alright, other than having a more competent goalie (and I don't even buy that really) what exactly do propose Nonis do to address this?

Not having the competent goaltending is most likely the problem. The beginning of our playoff drought coincided with the introduction of the shootout, which coincided with our long run of reliable goaltenders comming to a end (Potvin-Cujo-Belfour). Hopefully we can get the right guy in there eventually.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Not having the competent goaltending is most likely the problem. The beginning of our playoff drought coincided with the introduction of the shootout, which coincided with our long run of reliable goaltenders comming to a end (Potvin-Cujo-Belfour). Hopefully we can get the right guy in there eventually.

Can't blame Reimer last night. If we could score a goal in the shoot-out, we might've won.

Burke

Oct 6, 2011
Can't blame Reimer last night. If we could score a goal in the shoot-out, we might've won.

I agree the shooters failed. Reimer did infact out perform them in the shootout but that doesnt change the fact he didnt play the 2 goals he allowed very well.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Kessel needs to deke, but not like last night's. He has an elite shot so goalies expect it. What he needs to do is go in and score like his gtg vs Winnipeg. He is so good at that but never does it.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
As long as Bettman is in charge, the shootout is here to stay IMHO.

The only hope we have to get rid of it, is to have a Canadian as commissioner of the NHL. Even then, it might be difficult to get it eliminated.

I prefer sudden death overtime to decide a tied game at the end of regulation.

If the shootout HAS to stay, I would prefer that it take place before the game is played at the end of the warmup. That way the team that loses the shootout is then forced to try and win the game outright in regulation time or overtime. I think it would improve the quality of the game at the end of the 3rd period and overtime.

The other benefit is that all games would have an individual 'skills' competition to begin the game.

JMHO.
General managers and the competition committee decide rule changes, not Bettman.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
Maybe if we didn't play with 3 lines instead of 4 we would win more games. Goons are useless.

So no they don't care more about winning. Or atleast Carlyle doesn't.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
General managers and the competition committee decide rule changes, not Bettman.

Bettman has a lot of influence with the NHL Board of Governors and its various and sundry committees. He can sway the decision making processes at all levels!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->