Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If Toronto loses the series, and Robertson doesn't see any ice, does that make you question Keefe/Dubas/Shanny?

Would certainly make for an interesting "what-if" conversation around here.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Robertson has said he feels like there are a lot of curveballs being thrown at him and the details and speed are more than he expected. so it's basically a question of if his work ethic and skills can catch him up over a 2 week period. He brings a really high energy game that I think would help a team that can be pretty passive at times, and he's a threat to score and produce offense and the Leafs need that too. If he can get comfortable now he should play, but if not it's not the end of the world

Reactions: MattySnipes

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Toronto loses the series, and Robertson doesn't see any ice, does that make you question Keefe/Dubas/Shanny?

If they lose they should be questioned whether Robertson plays or not.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

No, after hearing about this kid all year and then watching a compilation of all his goals, I'm honestly pretty underwhelmed. Looks closer the Conor Brown skill level than Marner.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He might as well be 5'5" 140lb the way he plays.

So his reach is effected by lack of aggression? His stick length is shorter because he does not play aggressive? His ability to separate man from puck because he is 6'5 240 is affected by lack of aggression? His ability to effectively box a player out because of his size is effected by being aggressive? To get into shooting lanes...etc etc.

Just because The Goat isnt running around like Wilson out there doesnt mean his size isnt effective.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
So his reach is effected by lack of aggression? His stick length is shorter because he does not play aggressive? His ability to separate man from puck because he is 6'5 240 is affected by lack of aggression? His ability to effectively box a player out because of his size is effected by being aggressive? To get into shooting lanes...etc etc.

Just because The Goat isnt running around like Wilson out there doesnt mean his size isnt effective.

Gathiers size and ability to "separate man from puck" led to a grand total of 7 takeaways in 61 games, good for 20th on the Leafs.

He isn't effective. Spin it however you want.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Gathiers size and ability to "separate man from puck" led to a grand total of 7 takeaways in 61 games, good for 20th on the Leafs.

It really is a shame he couldn't find some type of mean streak.
Be fantastic if he could turn into the Leafs version of Brian Boyle for the next 10 years.

Reactions: Nineteen67 and Ciao

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Gauthier is good at having nothing happen for either team while he's on the ice. It's fine if all you want is a 4th line center who won't ruin you if he plays 6-7 minutes a game, but overall he's not a useful player

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Robertson talking to some reporters mentioned how much faster and smarter the NHL level is. He's a step behind. Its still only training camp. To expect a kid, who is almost young enough to be drafted this year, to be able to make this jump right into NHL playoffs is really expecting a lot. If we have a few key injuries to offensive players then yes I can see it as a desperate move. I doubt he is going to be thrown under that kind of pressure to jump into a key role. He gets to expeience the camp, play an exhibition game...that's great experience for the kid.
I believe Shilton/Siegal reiterated the "step behind" sentiment.

It's funny hearing people say "there's no way he's not better than a guy like Engvall right now" just because he tore up the OHL. Engvall was a PPG in the AHL during his recent stint with 4+ years of pro experience under his belt across several different pro leagues. People vastly underestimate the jump to the NHL.

My ideal plan would be to have Robertson continue to practice/train in the bubble, play in the exhibition game against MTL, and then sit out the playoffs as a black ace unless he tears up that warmup game late July. Then, assuming the OHL plays games (unlikely at this point), he would get a 9 game stint next season before being sent back to the OHL (once again, unless he blows the roof off). He needs to continue adding size/strength to increase his effectiveness on the forecheck and improve his top speed, much like Marner needed.

Reactions: kb

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If we are relying on Robertson to be the difference in this series - we are already toast.

He’s a great prospect, if he plays...great. Let’s just tap the brakes on anointing him as some saviour difference maker.

No one has called him a "saviour difference maker" or anything similar to that.

Most are saying he won't play, and some are saying he might be more effective than Engvall or Gauthier.

You are arguing against something literally no one in the thread has said.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
He might get in the EX game against Habs to get a feel for pro hockey but that's it. No one dropping a rook in a do or due series unless he absolutely outplays guys like Willy and Mitch in camp and EX game which is highly unlikely. Way too risky dropping him on a 3rd or 4th line where you can't afford to get scored on.
You don't put him on the 4th line. He should be in the exhibition game and if he looks good you start him on the 2nd line. If he seems to be overwhelmed you just play 11 forwards for the rest of the game and don't dress him for the rest of the series.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think the Goat has the biggest gap between how some folks think he plays vs how he actually plays.

I dont think thr Leafs will miss much if he sits. Hes a replacement level 4th liner - i really hope Robertson shows he deseves to replace him or one of the other depth guys

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He doesn't play a physical game
I'd rather see Roberston play over him

I hate being put in the position of defending the Goat here but he is a 54% FO center who takes 80% D zone starts. That is not interchangeable with anything Robertson can do. If you want the kid to do something useful its top 9 or nothing, at least this year. If we look at the 1G each that 60pt rookies Willie and Mitch managed their first playoff, plus add that that wasn't playing behind this years big 4, that gives us an idea as to what his best case could be. I think he could fill some kind of a role if he is a demon in camp but the chance of him being an impact player is pretty low this year. I see this as a development opportunity only unless maybe there was an injury to a top 6 winger.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Id be more then willing to give him a shot on a 4th line that isnt rotating every game. Give him some consistent minutes and more importsbtly linemates. Hatd to build chemistry if you are playing musical wingers

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Great for Robertson if he can make the big jump during the grandest stage of NHL games. A number of players should be in a greater position to affect the team's situation more than him though.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
It was a bit silly people putting him in the lineup. Lets just pump the brakes here. Doubt he's on the big club next year either.

Will be a good player for us in a couple of years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You don't put him on the 4th line. He should be in the exhibition game and if he looks good you start him on the 2nd line. If he seems to be overwhelmed you just play 11 forwards for the rest of the game and don't dress him for the rest of the series.
You got some monster nuts man ... i like da optimism ... but given Mik is killed it in phase 2 workouts, like da best guy on ice, i doubt he is moving anywhere ... if he earns it i think his best shot to play is 3rd line with Kerfoot and Kappy (because AJ is out) ... i hope he has a great camp and pushes everyone else to go harder and faster

Reactions: ACC1224

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
There just isn't much room on the powerplay or top 3 lines for this kid but he really is knocking right at the door. He sounds like a Top 6 forward version of Trevor Moore.

Edit - Jeez, their headshots even look identical and they grew up about 50 miles away from each other (7 hours driving time on the 101 in light traffic). We basically upgraded one solid young player for an even more solid, younger player.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hate being put in the position of defending the Goat here but he is a 54% FO center who takes 80% D zone starts. That is not interchangeable with anything Robertson can do. If you want the kid to do something useful its top 9 or nothing, at least this year. If we look at the 1G each that 60pt rookies Willie and Mitch managed their first playoff, plus add that that wasn't playing behind this years big 4, that gives us an idea as to what his best case could be. I think he could fill some kind of a role if he is a demon in camp but the chance of him being an impact player is pretty low this year. I see this as a development opportunity only unless maybe there was an injury to a top 6 winger.
Spezza can do that. We all know now he moves as well and we also know he has more smarts ( veteran savvy) and he is more scoring threat still at that age. Goat is allowing himself to be replaceable because he does not or will not add the physical dimensions to his game. I don’t mean fighting either. It’s a shame he will allow his career to bypass him because he is either scared or stupid.
Two characters we can do without so i care less anymore about him.
Barabanov is coming, Robertson is coming. Hell Brooksie is coming too. Whatever he chooses is good i guess. He could be a darn handful and chooses not to

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There just isn't much room on the powerplay or top 3 lines for this kid but he really is knocking right at the door. He sounds like a Top 6 forward version of Trevor Moore.

Edit - Jeez, their headshots even look identical and they grew up about 50 miles away from each other (7 hours driving time on the 101 in light traffic). We basically upgraded one solid young player for an even more solid, younger player.
Maybe they have the same mailman or something

Reactions: Primary Assist

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm sure this has been posted somewhere but it likely confirms Nick won't at least start: (An earlier post noted he was in the reserve squad)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad