Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Very true, but I think the chances of a 5'9", 164-pound almost-19-year-old jumping from the Peterborough Petes to the Toronto Maple Leafs after one exhibition game for a five-game elimination series would have to be pretty remote.

If he makes it they should give him #99 or something.

I would be very surprised -- and impressed :)

How up to date are those vitals? I'm not really concerned with his frame. He's been working out all summer and he's built like a tank.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I don't know that I would recommend that path of player development in very general terms either.

He's not Freddy Boimistruck, for sure, and he's probably not another Connor McDavid either -- but somewhere in between.

I would be thinking of the effect on his career if gives the puck away or loses a puck battle in a way that adversely affects the outcome of the series.

It could be a long wait for redemption.

Anyone who's gonna long term crucify an 18yr old for his first couple of NHL games isn't someone whose opinion you should spend much time worrying about.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Hype's a little off the rails right now. I think he's got a bright future but some in the media (looking at the Athletic) are pumping his tires a little too hard.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He might get in the EX game against Habs to get a feel for pro hockey but that's it. No one dropping a rook in a do or due series unless he absolutely outplays guys like Willy and Mitch in camp and EX game which is highly unlikely. Way too risky dropping him on a 3rd or 4th line where you can't afford to get scored on.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Tavares said the puck is always around him. He has to be able to be in lanes and read plays at the Nhl level.
Lets see then i guess. I think he has to many doubters. I’m not one of them. Just sayyyyin

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I was convinced before that he had no chance, but then I remembered that TOR has Petans and Malgins on the team.

I am a believer now. I want him to be the biggest story for TOR.

Reactions: Merrrlin

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I was convinced before that he had no chance, but then I remembered that TOR has Petans and Malgins on the team.

Malgin and Petan have been invisible when given a chance so yeah you're right, by all means I wanna see Robertson given a shot over them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Yeah i think every team has them players on their Ahl roster depth chart. Ya really took me off guard there and i had to go check. Pheww, glad we aren’t the only ones like that. You really had me.
Good thing i checked too because i found out we were the only team with Robertson. What a cut to minimize one of the best prospects in the game.

It was posted many times his numbers were very comparable to Lafreniere. Better scorer and similar points per game. I doubt anyone will be saying Lafreniere doesn’t have a chance next year

Last edited:
Reactions: Duckrider

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Engvall is looking over his shoulder. Competition for 3LW will help the team.

Leafs will have to exploit this advantage in offensive firepower. PP will need to be clicking and Roberstson could give PP2 a boost.

yeah I think Engvall is the guy looking over his shoulder most likely. And although he might not, the Leafs sure as hell want Robertson to make it.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Is the question really does he make the roster or is it does he make the lineup for Game 1 vs CBJ?

Make the roster - probably
Lineup for Game 1 - No way

Reactions: ACC1224

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Who cares about Gauthier's PK'ing or faceoff ability.

Leafs are a great faceoff team, with or without Gauthier.

I could do without seeing him lumber around the PK as well. He's the definition of replaceable.
No arguments here. Just saying I think Gauthier will play over Robertson. Not saying that's what I personally want.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It actually wouldn't surprise me that much. The Johnsson injury opens up that possibility.

Reactions: Menzinger

The90

Feb 27, 2017
25 years old, 6’5 240 lb, good feet, good defensively, good face-offs. On pace to triple his goal scoring pace from his first full season.

definitely a bunch of those guys lying around free agency.

With Clifford on his line, Gauthier being a year older and having a post season under his belt. I’m hoping Gauthier will feel more confident using his big body this post season. His physical presence could be very beneficial to us.

also I am a little concerned with Robertson getting injured. Small, physical player, big heart.... stepping into a physical conference, during the most physical games of the year. A big injury early in his career could mess with his development. Love having him around the atmosphere and the team... we can afford to be patient and safe. I’m leaning towards being careful. That is unless he is absolutely mind boggling right now.
If he turns into half of Brian Boyle, he can stay on our fourth line as long as he wants.

Reactions: kb

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Keefe is between the benches. If he likes what he sees I dont see why he would not play the kid. I could see Robertson play on lines 1-4 honestly.

I never got play the heavier players on the 4th line ideal. Your more likely to score with a better player even if hes a "high skilled" one on the 4th line then a plug. If hes solid let him play. Plus hes scrapy and tenacious, should be fine on the 4th line.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think they will want him around but I don't see us experimenting until after the opening round. Injuries and performance will dictate what happens, of course. Let's be honest, we have to beat CBJ. That is too much to put on him.

It's also not as simple and putting him in Goat's spot, that is a major swap in skills, not to mention size. It makes more sense for him to replace a similar player when one goes down, I don't see us throwing him on the PK or counting on him for faceoffs.

Our forward group is pretty good. He's got to steal a spot from AJ or Kappy basically. I have to think Mikheyev and Hyman's jobs are pretty safe, ditto Marner and Nylander. Clifford and Spezza look pretty safe to.

Seems doubtful but one injury, or someone struggling badly could change everything.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Columbus will prove to be a physical challenge for Robertson. But, I get no sense that he'd be one to back down. Does he fit with the needs of the team? Does his inexperience/size prove to be too detrimental? My head says he won't be on the roster for the series against Columbus. My heart disagrees. We know he can score, his addition to the second PP would improve it immensely, he's a buzzsaw, skating all the time, he'd be THE goal scoring threat on our 3rd line - with due respect to Kappy and Kerfoot - lining up against him would be Bemstrom, a player with 56 games of experience. Who's going to be more nervous, less complete? I've always liked Jenner, but this year suggests that his effectiveness is lessening. Does Kerfoot provide adequate measure against him at C? Can Kerfoot hold his own...I think/hope so. And I think Foligno has to pay more attention to Kapanen than Kappy to Foligno: the increasing grit factor since Clifford arrived and the speed, that speed man! So Kap/Foligno I favor Kappy. Jenner/Kerfoot I think/hope a draw. Leaving Bemstrom/Robertson: games mean very little here, it's skill v skill, desire v desire, fear v fear (of success and failure) and unless those who follow our kid more than do I have been lying through their teeth, I can't see how NR doesn't come out on top. 3rd line v 3rd line, the Leafs, on paper, look better to me should Nick make the grade. I'd throw him to the wolves and see what he's got. Double shift Nylander if Robertson begins to go dizzy, giving him a chance to calm down. Nylander/Kerfoot/Kapanen a few shifts a game wouldn't scare me against most 3rd lines in the league, heck, Hyman could go a shift or two as well. There's going to be changes all over the place, if Torts has his way, trying to keep Keefe off balance. So Nick, I raise a glass to your promotion and wish you well, don't let me down (gawd, what a Leafian fan thing to say :confused:).
Nylander/Matthews/Hyman
Mikky/JT/Marner
Robertson/Kerfoot/Kapanen
Clifford/Engvall/Spezza

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Robertson talking to some reporters mentioned how much faster and smarter the NHL level is. He's a step behind. Its still only training camp. To expect a kid, who is almost young enough to be drafted this year, to be able to make this jump right into NHL playoffs is really expecting a lot. If we have a few key injuries to offensive players then yes I can see it as a desperate move. I doubt he is going to be thrown under that kind of pressure to jump into a key role. He gets to expeience the camp, play an exhibition game...that's great experience for the kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->