Does Montreal ever win decisively ?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
A win is a win is a win.

People have to remember that a win gets you two points. The win can happen at the start if the season or at the end. I am so happy that the Habs have 10 out if a possible 12 points so far. When you hit that home stretch of the season and games are 'must wins' because you need those two points. What people tend to forget is that the games at the start of the season are worth the same amount as the games played at the end. Thus all games should be considered 'must win' games.

I am just so happy that the Habs have padded their record early in the season when they could easily be at 500.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
A win is a win is a win. .

Would you say that the ECF run in 2009-2010 was equivalent to the one of 2012-2013? I wouldn't, so a win is not a win.

Not all wins are equivalent. That's the type of thinking that makes a GM complacent. If a win was a win, MB wouldn't have made three key deadline moves to bolster an area of his team that was dragging the club down. The habs were winning, but a lot was owed to the goalkeepers. MB recognized this and improved the club.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Don't get me wrong guys a win is a win and I am happy with where we stand currently. This is no meant to be a negative thread just more so a got me thinking after the Ave's game and Boston...

I just feel like it would be nice if Montreal could have a few games where we win decisively. It just feels like anytime we go up 2 to 3 goals and what feels like a possible blow out ends up with us hanging on for dear life and rarely do we ever win by big margin.

I know its the new NHL and teams come back and teams are evenly matched but even with Montreal up 3 or 4 goals I really don't trust them to hang onto any lead, or blow out many teams if ever.

What do you guys think do you feel Montreal lacks a killer instinct that other elite teams may have? Not looking to start anything negative hear just trying to get a sense of others opinions.

It's tough to win...lot of parity in league.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Once the bounces start going Carey's way and he gets back on his game, the way this team has been playing barring the tampa game and a couple of slow starts...

we will be winning a lot of games decisively

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The parity in the league is insane. So many games go to OT or SO. A win is a win whether it's decisive or not.

And a decisive win, say like the Bolts had versus us, is usually when your facing a tired team who's just not in the game. We'll have a few, but most of our wins will be close fought games where our depth and character will help us get the upper hand, which has been the case so far.

Laps40

Dec 16, 2006
Montreal
i dont care how they win, by how much they win. Just make decisions so the team keeps winning a lot. Voilà

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
The parity in the league is insane. So many games go to OT or SO. A win is a win whether it's decisive or not.

And a decisive win, say like the Bolts had versus us, is usually when your facing a tired team who's just not in the game. We'll have a few, but most of our wins will be close fought games where our depth and character will help us get the upper hand, which has been the case so far.

the parity looks good because we don't play against the West too often, there's parity within conferences

habsfan123

Nov 4, 2007
A little off topic here, but I just noticed that right now (November 1st) the Toronto Maple Leafs have played the same number of games as us. They have scored more goals and allowed fewer goals than us. On top of all that, they have more regulation wins than us. Are we just lucky or are we as bad as the Leafs?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
A little off topic here, but I just noticed that right now (November 1st) the Toronto Maple Leafs have played the same number of games as us. They have scored more goals and allowed fewer goals than us. On top of all that, they have more regulation wins than us. Are we just lucky or are we as bad as the Leafs?

Well the 7-1 spanking still skews the numbers, and the goal diff between us and Toronto is <7 so yeah, the sample size is still too small.

Wait until game 20. We'll lose at least two or three games we'd otherwise deserve to win and by then karma should be level and we'll have a clearer picture of things.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Toronto was lucky last year because they had horrible possession numbers and were winning because of really high SV% and SH%.

We're at a decent spot in all of those categories so no, we're not just getting lucky like the Leafs at the start of last year.

habsfan123

Nov 4, 2007
We have finally won some decisive games, but I feel that we are lucky to be in the position we are currently in. We are currently in second place in the conference which is definitely good, but we are the only team in a current playoff position with a negative plus/minus. Toronto is clinging to a playoff spot and they have scored 10 more goals than us! If we don't start winning more decisively, we will eventually fall in the standings. We can't keep getting lucky bonus points in shootouts and overtimes. We only have 6 regulation wins which is the lowest of any current playoff position team. Does this concern anyone other than me.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Three great games in a row. I don't expect dominance the whole year, but it's nice to see the Canadiens deserve their wins.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Three great games in a row. I don't expect dominance the whole year, but it's nice to see the Canadiens deserve their wins.

If my team plays like crap and my goalie bails me out we deserve the win off the back of his performance.
It is really nice to see this club win as a team with multiple reasons for earning a victory.
This speaks to the sustainability that concerned many of us early on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad