Does Montoya suck??

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Levitate said:
i'm pretty sure the rangers will have montoya in hartford and not bring him right up into the NHL.

Yea, they have no need to rush him. Lundqvist will probably make it to the NHL before him anyway.

Lundqvist- HFD next season
Montoya - College next season

Lundqvist- NYR 2 season
Montoya - HFD in 2 seasons.

IMO but they wont rush him to the NHL. They are rebuilding lets not forget...its not the past anymore.

burner10115

Jul 14, 2004
HabLover said:
I mean I don't think he should have been drafted at #6 last year and right now I think Andrew Ladd is looking like a bargain at #4!

Montoya totally stunk this tournament up for the USA and I was the first one on this board weeks before the tourney started asking if Montoya is up to par because of his play at Michigan, but several people came on here and said he was fine and it was the defence or the forwards for Michigan that were the problem not Montoya. Well, I think this tourney showed what those people know and Montoya was in fact struggling all along! I think everyone involved with the NYR are worried now.

being a ranger fan... no. he has potential, and were in no rush for his development... plus we still have blackburn and Lunds... but of course u already knew that :eek:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
dunno, they might bring montoya to hartford next year but it would be a bit of a logjam with lundqvist coming over next year (assuming there's a NHL season next year...if not, lundqvist might stay in sweden again, though it'd probably still benefit him to come over and he might do it anyways)

but lundqvist probably will crack the NHL before montoya cuz he's several years older and much more ready for it.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Goalies traditionally have taken the longest to develop. Almost always. I think he's taken a step back this season and had a subpar WJCs for someone so highly touted, and were he draft eligible only after this season would probably be taken a lot lower.

That said, he's shown a lot of talent and a lot of promise for someone his age and he has plenty of time to grow. There's a lot of hockey left for him to play before we label him as anything, including even just saying he sucks.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To answer the original question in this thread, no, Montoya doesn't suck. He's a 19 year old goaltender that has alot of physical talent but will need to have some quality coaching to adjust several technical flaws in his game if he is to succeed at the next level and beyond. Lost in all the Montoya bashing is he played very well in both the Sweden and Russia games, and based on the bronze medal game can really end on a high note. I hope he goes back to Michigan, has a great second half to the year there and can put some of the negatives of this experience behind him. If Fleury can, so can he.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->