Does Mitts still fit into the long term plans?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah I didn't mean it as a direct comparison. Mitts needs to find his game at the AHL level. Don't rush him out a year too early and find Staal and Hall gone after a year and wishing we had him to plug in.

Oh, I know, was just pointing out that one has a transferable skill he could continue to use in other systems, while the other can go compete with Robby Schremp in skills challenges.

Reactions: Moncton man

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If Adams can pull off a Nylander for Joki esque trade, then peace! He should be on the block. I wouldnt want to sell low on him, though.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Mittelstadt has a solid base of puck skill and skating, but unfortunately he hasn't taken to defensive instruction or pro training over his ELC years. He'll tease points because of that base and ice time, but among serious DY+3 and DY+4 forward AHL prospects, you could argue that only Lias Anderson and Connor Bunnaman had a worse EV impact last season. [FWIW, Tage Thompson and Brett Murray were positives in that regard; Eric Cornel too in lesser TOI.] He has yet to progress from the *defensive liability* stage, which sinks his pro potential more and more the longer it takes him to get to the *passable* or *not a liability* stage. Idk how he fits without that progression.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Mittelstadt has a solid base of puck skill and skating, but unfortunately he hasn't taken to defensive instruction or pro training over his ELC years. He'll tease points because of that base and ice time, but among serious DY+3 and DY+4 forward AHL prospects, you could argue that only Lias Anderson and Connor Bunnaman had a worse EV impact last season. [FWIW, Tage Thompson and Brett Murray were positives in that regard; Eric Cornel too in lesser TOI.] He has yet to progress from the *defensive liability* stage, which sinks his pro potential more and more the longer it takes him to get to the *passable* or *not a liability* stage. Idk how he fits without that progression.
His game is behind mentally too. He didn't learn how to think the game because he always followed the path of least resistance.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I’m rooting hard for the kid to turn it around. However, based on my observations he’ll probably show up out of shape and be relegated back to Rochester.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If Adams can pull off a Nylander for Joki esque trade, then peace! He should be on the block. I wouldnt want to sell low on him, though.

I don’t want yo trade for a Dman now who would get exposed in the ED. I’d rather keep him thus year thrn trade him for D post ED.

I don’t have a problem trading him for someone who might fit a more defensive center role if Cozens is a center.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don’t want yo trade for a Dman now who would get exposed in the ED. I’d rather keep him thus year thrn trade him for D post ED.

I don’t have a problem trading him for someone who might fit a more defensive center role if Cozens is a center.
We need a d-man right now so avoiding adding one over the draft is kinda silly

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Exactly. No excuse this time. Haven’t seen him in a while but I’d imagine when I do, he’ll make Phil Kessel look fit.,

Kessel though has that wild natural physique going for him - there is a story of him on the Pens out lifting people during fitness tests and just not looking like someone strong but being freakishly fit. Mitts has not exhibited that at all. But he is a competitive cuss, hoping a couple seasons of embarrassing results lights a fire under him for this long offseason.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Kessel though has that wild natural physique going for him - there is a story of him on the Pens out lifting people during fitness tests and just not looking like someone strong but being freakishly fit. Mitts has not exhibited that at all. But he is a competitive cuss, hoping a couple seasons of embarrassing results lights a fire under him for this long offseason.

i only liked your post for the use of “cuss.”

Reactions: Chainshot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We need a d-man right now so avoiding adding one over the draft is kinda silly

You can find one with 1 yr till RFA or a low profile one that likely isn’t an ED target.

You go after a high end name player you run this risk. Thus the price you pay..is it worth a one yr rental or does it mean thrn having to trade Risto.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Mittlestadt should only be traded for a top 6 forward.. Period If he doesn't have that value after this year , fine.. Selling low on a guy that has shown flashes that seem to be realized the Year or two after he has the body of an adult..
I truly don't understand this logic.. Id sooner give away a 2021 first that better be at least 17th than part w him unless we drafted nylander2 which i dont see at all..

He has way better hands than tage..

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Mitts will not be a good NHL center. He might be able to develop into a serviceable winger on a protected scoring line, though we already have Tage in that slot. He likely has the most value in a trade. So....

1. Package him in a trade (+picks/others) for either a top six RW or top 2 LD.
2. Stop wasting time at center and give him a chance to make the club at RW.
3. Give him one more year in Rochester for either the lightbulb to come on.....or in traditional Sabres fashion, allow any remaining doubt and value to decay away into a rotting reminder of how bad we have drafted over the last decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad