Does Mitts still fit into the long term plans?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Let me preface this by saying this is under the assumption he works his ass off, and develops the muscle and speed to play at the NHL level.

Fighting for the 2C spot > Fighting for a T6 winger spot > A depth scorer option on the 3rd line

The last of these is the most likely (think Tyson Jost on the Avs)

If you have a Nylander-Jokiharju swap waiting in the wings, you do that. I think Mitts' confidence is toast here, but I also have no idea how he's spent the off-season. If it was looking in a mirror and training, we might have something. If it was doing the minimum for workouts and playing fortnite, move him before the word is out.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I don’t know, he’s obviously not Adams or Ralph’s draft pick. If a trade came up that made sense for Adams, I could see him doing it.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I don't think he should be in the long-term plans until he proves he should be in the long-term plans.

It's one thing to be "in the plans" before you get a chance to prove yourself an effective (or ineffective) NHL player. Jack Quinn, for instance, is "in the plans" right now.

Mittelstadt, though, has proven to be mostly useless at the NHL level (and from what I gather, just OK at the AHL level, though our more frequent Amerk viewers can correct that statement as needed).

We can place blame for his ineffectiveness all we want, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that he's proven to be ineffective.

Hopefully he can right the course. I'm doubtful.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Without knowing how he’s spent his extended offseason, it’s anyone’s guess.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If Mitts becomes a good player he'll be part of the team, if not he'll likely be out of the league. Maybe he'll bounce around for a little bit first.

You can't really plan anything for a player that has showed zero ability to play in the NHL.

Reactions: stokes84

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't think he should be in the long-term plans until he proves he should be in the long-term plans.

It's one thing to be "in the plans" before you get a chance to prove yourself an effective (or ineffective) NHL player. Jack Quinn, for instance, is "in the plans" right now.

Mittelstadt, though, has proven to be mostly useless at the NHL level (and from what I gather, just OK at the AHL level, though our more frequent Amerk viewers can correct that statement as needed).

We can place blame for his ineffectiveness all we want, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that he's proven to be ineffective.

Hopefully he can right the course. I'm doubtful.
Has he proven that he’s useless at the NHL level? Or did he show he wasn’t ready yet? Its not the same thing.

As to the thread topic in general....

If Mitts is part of a trade to make us better so be it. But giving up on him and trading him to trade him simply because he wasn’t ready seems pretty short sighted. At worst He’s cheap depth in the minors since he has zero leverage in his contract talks. At best he starts developing towards the player we were hoping for.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Without knowing how he’s spent his extended offseason, it’s anyone’s guess.
Thats going to be huge. I should amend my previous post to say if he doesn’t look like he put a shitload of work in this offseason. Then yes move on from him.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I would Imagine at least as the #1 center in Rochester.
Wholly agree. My sarcasm was it seems a little more challenging for him to be gifted a slot than this time last week. Competition is good. Will be great to see Cozens outperform Casey (no ill Will intended) just to show they have stopped gifting slots. I feel Krueger is about earning it, whereas Botterill wasn’t.

Reactions: joshjull

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
With Hall only guaranteed 1 year (hopefully it becomes long term and he sounds like he would like to make that happen) I think you need to package Mitts to upgrade 3C or D this offseason.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I won't go into specifics or anything for the sake of the kid, but I have some close connections (by chance, I have no insider info besides a couple mutuals) and from what I've heard I am probably as low on him as anyone here. He doesn't seem like a competitor in my opinion, just wants to enjoy the big league lifestyle.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Him and Reinhart do not fit what Kreuger is preaching constantly. When Pegula and Adams talking about attitude changes, both these guys come to mind. They just seem too passive, which the inability to provide constant pressure when out there.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Unless he improves a lot, probably not. That said Staal is probably a one and done so it's not like there is no spot for him if he actually becomes a good player. Does anyone have faith in him at this point? I really doubt it.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I won't go into specifics or anything for the sake of the kid, but I have some close connections (by chance, I have no insider info besides a couple mutuals) and from what I've heard I am probably as low on him as anyone here. He doesn't seem like a competitor in my opinion, just wants to enjoy the big league lifestyle.
He'll be able to do that in the Swiss League if he puts in the effort to learn how to yodel.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Just like any prospect in our pool, he is in the long term future. It is up to him to make a case to be a fixture, if not and someone comes calling for him ..you listen.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Think we need to be patient and hope he’s just a slow developing prospect. He has skill. Hopefully the rest will come with growth.

Sick of watching the Sabres rush prospects, then get frustrated and impatient, then give up on them and ship them out, only to watch them become good productive players on other teams.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
His status as untouchable "best prospect in hockey" has probably lifted given his disappointing showing so far. That being said, I'm not giving him away. But, if a good deal that could help now came along, the Sabres should listen.
Who knows, he could still turn into a nice 3C down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad