Does Matthews hit 50 goals this year?

Does Matthews hit 50 goals?

• Total voters

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
7 goals....4 games....let me just do the math here....carry the 2....

Well right now he is targeting 143 goals in 82 games. Let's say he cools off a bit and only scores 120 goals. Yes he will break 50 goals.

Reactions: Pay Carl

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Depends how long this hot streak lasts, but even if he scored back to his old pace the rest of the season, he finishes with a minimum of 46 goals. Factor in a far superior PP and way more time on it compared to his first two seasons, and a betting man should bet on 50 just because of so many positive factors in that direction.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Depends how long this hot streak lasts, but even if he scored back to his old pace the rest of the season, he finishes with a minimum of 46 goals. Factor in a far superior PP and way more time on it compared to his first two seasons, and a betting man should bet on 50 just because of so many positive factors in that direction.
Up his minutes to 21 or so and you might be breaking open some Leaf record books!

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If he stays healthy, absolutely.

I’d go as far to say that if he stays healthy he has a legitimate chance at 60, especially if Nylander comes back sooner than later

Reactions: Sundinisagod

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All health dependent. But, given his previous track record, expected improvement as he ages and the fact he is getting true PP1 minutes now, 43 goals in 78 games is very doable.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He'll go through a dry spell but a lot of advantages are in his favor (better PP minutes, continued development, easier minutes due to Tavares, and this hot start).

If this hot streak continues for 10-15 games, he might be on his way to 55-60.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
OV is the only player who has scored 50 in the last 6 seasons, surprised so many are voting yes.

You figure there would be another one to do it at some point though, and all the other factors listed as to why he could do it are far more relevant than the trivial fact you listed.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has already been the best even strength goal scorer in the league since he entered it. He was first in ESG in his rookie season, and he would have been first again last season had he not been injured. He hit 40 goals during his rookie season and was on pace for 45 in his sophomore one (he had 34 goals in 62 games). These totals came even despite the fact that he rarely scored with the man advantage. With increased ice time in 5 on 4 (or 5 on 3) situations and the potency of Toronto's PP, 50 goals this season for Matthews certainly doesn't seem out of the question at all, barring injury.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I can't see how he wouldn't hit it, playing like he is this year so far. I mean, I know it's early, but even if slows down, he's got enough of a headstart to coast into 50.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->