Does Marleau need a cup to be a hof player

The Lucky Pucks

Apr 29, 2017
Does marleau need a cup to be a hof player? Is he one already? Or even with a cup is he still borderline?

As it stands

39 Years old
Has 1 year left on his contract
21 Seasons
1633 GP
548 G 29th All time
610 A
1158 Pts 53rd All time
.71 Career PPG

Playoff

184 GP
72 Goals
53 Assists
125 Pts

0 Awards
Finished top 10 in goals twice
Needs 135 More games to be #1 in games played
2 80+ pt seasons
7 30+ Goal Seasons

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
at least a Cup.

poster child for what a compiler is. anyone can rack up gaudy totals sitting next to Thornton for a decade.

0x 50+ G
1x 40+ G
0x 90+ points
2x 80+ points

0x Top 10 points
2x Top 10 goals (4, 6)

Never higher than AS-4
No individual awards
The only time he was a finalist for anything is a 3rd place Byng finish

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would go with no. At this point if he wins the cup he would be a passenger on the team, so the difference between him winning or not winning the cup at this stage in his career will make minimal difference to how people view his career as a whole

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
No... maybe to be a first ballot HOFer... but he'll get there eventually.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
One of my favorite players of all time. Plays the game right imho.

Marleau might get in, and I'd be thrilled for him, but he hasn't had a HoF career, regardless of being on a Cup winner or not. I've been swayed during several past threads about his HoF chances that he is, alas, an "accumulator".

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think he should be a Hall of Famer at all. He has been a good player for a very long time and had a good career, but he has not really done anything worthy of making the Hall of fame. I guess if Dave Andreychuk is in the Hall of Fame, it's possible.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If he stays in the game long enough to break the games played record I think he'll get in but outside of that, probably not.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
I am not saying he is for sure a HOF worthy player but people tend to get mixed up when it comes to achievements and which ones matter and which don't. Scoring close to 600 goals and possibly having the most games played ever are FAME worthy achievements. How many players have/ or will ever score 550+ goals? Possibly no one ever plays the numbers of games he did/does. That is an achievement in itself to be relevant for this long. He is also an 8 time 30 goal scorer. It isn't like he was putting up 40 pts a year. He averages around 60 pts per season.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Why don't you think he should be in the HOF?

No individual awards
Never been a finalist for any awards
Never top 10 in points
Only 2x top 10 in goals
Never scored 50 in a season
No AS-1 team appearances
No AS-2 team appearances

For a player who was known as a scorer and not exactly some 2 way marvel, you better rack up elite numbers and finishes against your peers. He failed to do that.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I am not saying he is for sure a HOF worthy player but people tend to get mixed up when it comes to achievements and which ones matter and which don't. Scoring close to 600 goals and possibly having the most games played ever are FAME worthy achievements. How many players have/ or will ever score 550+ goals? Possibly no one ever plays the numbers of games he did/does. That is an achievement in itself to be relevant for this long. He is also an 8 time 30 goal scorer. It isn't like he was putting up 40 pts a year. He averages around 60 pts per season.

60 pts per season while bringing nothing else to the table <> a HOF'er

Reactions: triggrman

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't think people here know what the Hockey Hall of Fame is about... people seem to think thats its a place for the elite point producers... but its more then that.

I suggest people review this: Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Election Procedures

The attributes needed for a player to be nominated for the HHOF is as follows:
Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general.

I think given that criteria, Marleau has provided it in spades.

1) Two time Olympic Gold medalist
2) Two time World Championship Gold medalist
3) A World Championship Silver medalist
4) Soon to be 7th all-time in Games Played
5) Top 30 all-time in goals scored
6) Will likely be Top 50 all-time in points
7) 7th all-time in Game Winning Goals
8) 15+ 20 goal seasons
9) Ironman streak of >750 games
10) SJS all-time leader in Points
11) SJS all-time leader in GP
12) SJS all-time leader in Goals
13) Likely to become Top 20 in playoff games played
14) Top 15 in playoff goals scored
15) Top 50 in playoff points
16) Top 10 in playoff Game Winning Goals

These are all very impressive feats, and how anyone thinks his resume isn't HHOF worthy is beyond me.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
at least a Cup.

poster child for what a compiler is. anyone can rack up gaudy totals sitting next to Thornton for a decade.

0x 50+ G
1x 40+ G
0x 90+ points
2x 80+ points

0x Top 10 points
2x Top 10 goals (4, 6)

Never higher than AS-4
No individual awards
The only time he was a finalist for anything is a 3rd place Byng finish

One thing that could get him in is longevity. If he wants to play one more season after his contract is done in Toronto he has a good shot of breaking the games played record. Still wouldn't be a lock but that could arguably put him over the edge.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
No individual awards
Never been a finalist for any awards
Never top 10 in points
Only 2x top 10 in goals
Never scored 50 in a season
No AS-1 team appearances
No AS-2 team appearances

For a player who was known as a scorer and not exactly some 2 way marvel, you better rack up elite numbers and finishes against your peers. He failed to do that.

Since when are any of this criteria for making the HHOF?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Why don't you think he should be in the HOF?
I'm not the OP but I will answer. I have a few hockey cards of him, his early days as a Shark 97-98, early 2000s.
Marleau is a great skater. It took him many years to be a PPG player. --- honestly, I see him in the Mike Gartner "zone".
Gartner is in because of consistent 30+ goals seasons. I see Marleau just a tier Below the HHOF level, like Turgeon, Steve Duchene, Damphousse. I believe there's the possibility it goes like with Selanne and Kariya, where 2 great players get in the HHOF, while we wondered if the latter would make it (shortened career due to concussion, less than 1000 games played but he was exactly 1 PPG (909 games/points I believe). I see him in the Half of very good, but not in the Hall of Fame. Oh, I meant Thornton and Marleau inducted together, like Selanne/Kariya. Just an example, they aren't the same type of players.. at all. anyway.... I see him just a tier under the HHOF, but I have been a fan and I like my Mcdonald's Upper Deck Ice card of him (RC), a "cheap" Collector's choice 97-98 team canada card (no helmet on, sitting I believe). I got one numbered, early 2000s (2002 I believe). I like him, but... nope. If he makes it, I'll be happy. :)
Edit : Here they are
100_1082.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: The Missing Piece

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad