Does Jon Cooper get fired after the Lightning get eliminated?

Does Jon Cooper get fired after the Lightning get eliminated?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
He just coached the Bolts to arguably the best regular season in decades. Not a chance does he get fired. That would be beyond harsh. Stick with what works and try again next year if they lose this year.

Reactions: Voight

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, they JUST extended him
Doesn't mean anything.

Coaches have gotten fired before their extension's even start.

AV was set to be in year one of his extension this year, but got fired at the end of last season. The Panthers extended Gerard Gallant 6 or 8 months before they fired him and I'm pretty sure that deal wasn't to start until 17-18, the year after they fired him.

I'm not saying he'll definitely be fired, but if he isn't, it won't be because he got extended. The only thing his extension means is that he's owed that money. They're not obligated to keep him for it, they're just obligated to pay him for it and with his reputation, he'll likely get a job immediately, as long as he's not fired during some bizarre time at the end of the summer. And then the team that hires him is on the hook for it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
no

and he shouldn't,it would be incredibly stupid to fire a coach that just had the season he did over a handful of bad games

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
no. They will probably just load up and try again next season. Anyway i highly doubt they don't come back in this series.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The lightning are a guaranteed playoff team for the next bunch of years. You keep him for as long as they keep making it. After that if they don't and they eventually miss, then yeah, sure common sense is he's outta there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I could see it happening if they end up getting swept in embarrassing fashion.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
after they get eliminated? Look I'm hoping CBJ wins but this series isn't done by any means, Tampa has the ability to tie it up and win

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted no.

But.....maybe? In a vacuum i'm thinking no. He just had a historic season. BUT - it all comes down to *how* Tampa loses. If they go out in 4 barely scoring? I guarantee some shit is going to go down. Whether it's Cooper or Stamkos or even Kucherov....something.

But if Lightning come back and lose in a highly competitive game 6-7 series with Columbus? no chance. And of course - if they make it past round 1, same idea, no chance.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
They'll wait until he's on stage giving his coach of the year acceptance speech

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
no

and he shouldn't,it would be incredibly stupid to fire a coach that just had the season he did over a handful of bad games
He didn’t get his team ready to play. Squirrelly Bowman needed to coach the bolts this season to try and give up 2 goals or less, and their offense would take care of the rest organically. He didn’t, lazily, like AV, he let them run the regular season, coasted the last 2 months and then boom boom, the goalie goes soft, the other team gets juice, and suddenly it’s the 1st time all season the Bolts are being tested. He should have had them comfortable playing low scoring games instead of letting them play pond hockey.
He deserves to be fired. Your not winning a cup with that guy

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
LOLLLLL the same people making these idiotic posts were the people asking “will Tampa go 16-0”
Your shook just like your goalie, coach, and team.
Bolts fans became very leaf like the last 3 years. Like you guys would know what a good hockey coach looks like. You had one and now everyone thinks he’s lost it, yet his team about to beat you guys.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Did Trotz get fired when the Caps were down 2-0 going into CLB?

Caps brought in their Vezina -winning goalie from the bench at that point, and were never eliminated. This thread is about a scenario where the Lightning get eliminated.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I think he should. Honestly I think he was outcoached last year against the Caps, and Tampa's out in the 1st round I'd send him packing. I could coach Tampa to a playoff spot with that roster.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Caps brought in their Vezina -winning goalie from the bench at that point, and were never eliminated. This thread is about a scenario where the Lightning get eliminated.
original question doesnt say "if eliminated", thats my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad