Does Jarome Iginla Have A Chance To Be An Top 100 Player Of All Time ?

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
An intersting question. Currently He is 32 years old and has possibly 6 good seasons left.

Pros: 2 Time Rocket Richard Winner
1 Art Ross Trophy & Lester B. Pearson Winner
PPG is .91
Currently has 430 Goals with a good shot at 600 Career Goals
893 Pts. with a possibility of 1400-1500 for His career

Cons: Never won a Cup ( As Of Now)
Has only been to the Playoffs 6 Times ( As Of Now)
Has less then 50 Career Playoff Pts. ( Currently)

What does everybody think ? In My opinion, He needs to win a Cup to be in the conversation. If He does that, then He should be a shoe-in.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think he's already around the 120 mark. If he keeps this up, sure, why not.

Among RWs, I think there is a huge dropoff from Hull/Mikhailov/Makarov (all easily top-100 players) to guys like Neely, Selanne, Bure, Iginla, and Cournoyer. Iginla doesn't have to get himself ahead of Hull, Mikhailov, or Makarov (if he did, he'd be a top-60 player) but he needs to distance himself from Selanne, Bure, Neely, and Cournoyer. Hart voting says he already has. Other measures say he hasn't.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think he's already around the 120 mark. If he keeps this up, sure, why not.

Among RWs, I think there is a huge dropoff from Hull/Mikhailov/Makarov (all easily top-100 players) to guys like Neely, Selanne, Bure, Iginla, and Cournoyer. Iginla doesn't have to get himself ahead of Hull, Mikhailov, or Makarov (if he did, he'd be a top-60 player) but he needs to distance himself from Selanne, Bure, Neely, and Cournoyer. Hart voting says he already has. Other measures say he hasn't.

Pretty much what you said. He has the peak value, but hasn't sustained it for long enough (yet) to distance himself from the guys you named.

I forget if I had him towards the end of my Top 120 list. If I didn't, he was a late cut.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I'm very surprised by the answers... I probably wouldnt have him anywhere near my top 100 as of now.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Right now he isn't. But that could change. Iginla is the kind of guy you root for regardless, even though I am not a Flames fan. But I think his play might be tailing off just a little bit. Can it be that he is on a slow decline now? I think so, but then again he's 32 so that's natural. He still has a shot at some more credentials though. I said he was on a little bit of a decline but it isn't as if he still isn't a great hockey player

I think he needs a little bit more playoff exposure. He was great in 2004 but that was it. He's never been out of the 1st round besides that. Of course he's done his part in the postseason, some of the other Flames haven't

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm very surprised by the answers... I probably wouldnt have him anywhere near my top 100 as of now.

What are your reasons? Here are a couple of reasons he could be a top-100 player already:

He is the only three-time hart finalist who didn't make our first HOH top-100 list.

He's also among the only two-time goal leaders to not make the list, along with Bure, Selanne, Dye, and Bondra. Only Selanne is a comparable playmaker to Iginla from that bunch. Offense aside, Iginla brings so much more to the table than any of them, and even Bure, the best playoff performer of that bunch, has a playoff record no better than Iginla's. (Ovechkin is now in that club but wasn't when the first list was made)

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Well, with 893 points he is already 95th in all-time scoring. He's only 32. He could very well end up top 30 all-time in scoring.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well, with 893 points he is already 95th in all-time scoring. He's only 32. He could very well end up top 30 all-time in scoring.

...which is a really poor way to look at it.

There are guys in the top-30 in all-time scoring who won't even make the hall, let alone be one of the top-100 players of all-time.

Still, if you make the top-50 having played your whole career post-1996, and have his other achievements, then for sure you have to be a top-100 player.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That part of my Top-100 is made of John Bucyk (the better comparable) and Georges Boucher (the guy I actually have at 100).

Iggy has the peak over Bucyk, but it's not a huge advantage. And Boucher was the cornerstone of a dynasty AND one of the best offensive contributors overall pre forward pass (yes, that includes D's as well).

So... yish.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I could see it happening, but time is running out.
He has a good chance to finish top ten in goals again this year, that's always good....and another quality run in the playoffs wouldn't hurt....

I still haven't got over the Bruins passing on him to take Kyle McLaren.... :facepalm:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The top 100 is a pretty exclusive club. You have to be one of the top 60-65 forwards to ever play the game to crack that list. I would say Iginla is most certainly not one of those players yet, and projecting him to end up there is being fairly generous IMO. A couple of great, HOF calibre years, and a few very good ones just doesn't scream top 100 player. Only three top-10 finishes in points is rather pedestrian, even when you do bring more to the table than your point totals.

Playoffs probably don't help nor hinder his case at this point. He's a competitor who comes to play, and nobody will dispute this. A Smythe-caliber performance in 2004, but this is followed up with a trail of first round disappointments. Iginla hasn't performed poorly over that stretch, but it hasn't been a case of Jarome doing everything possible to win and his teammates dropping the ball, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad