Does it help the Panthers if the Lightning win the cup?

UtahPanther

Sep 4, 2014
Salt Lake City
Hi everybody, just curious since I didn't follow the Panthers when the Lightning won the cup in 2004. Do you think a Tampa Bay win in the cup finals increases an interest in hockey in South Florida? Obviously the fan bases are different, but with the mainstream media coverage the Lightning are bound to get I would have to imagine peoples interest will be peaked.

To me right now would be an amazing time to start a real rivalry between the 2 teams. With Tampa making a deep playoff run and possible cup win. I think if the Panthers can make a legit playoff run next season, it could be the start of something really exciting between the 2 teams. Anyways, interested to hear your opinions.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I've been thinking about this over the last round and I believe it does. Last night #StanleyCup was trending at #1 in Miami three hours after the game ended. That shows that there ARE hockey fans in South Florida, but the Panthers have not given them much a reason over the last fifteen years to support them.

Casual hockey fans down here that don't adopt the Panthers as their favorite team or even follow them are likely giving more attention to the sport because a Florida team is going to the Cup. Even most Panthers fans were rooting for the Bolts throughout the playoffs as there is no spirited rivalry yet.

I think it's a good thing because even though these casual fans are not becoming Panthers fans exactly, they're watching the games and might want to get more involved in playing hockey. A friend of mine that works at Kohl's said they got a large shipment of Lightning playoff shirts in last week, so the demand is there. As the Panthers are on the rise, if they can make the playoffs next season, the fans who are being introduced to the sport now from the Lightning will start paying attention to us.

The only negative I see if that we'll have many more Lightning fans at our games vs. them down here. Any time a Sunbelt team wins a playoff round, it helps grow the game in non-traditional areas.

I hope the Ducks can knock off the Hawks tonight. However, I'm torn with who to root for if it's Lightning/Ducks in the Cup. I like that Canadian elitists hate it, but the part of me that still isn't too fond of the Bolts to begin with is making gear towards rooting for the Ducks. Despite a Lightning Stanley Cup win being good for hockey in Florida.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Help Florida generate interest in hockey? It's likely it would.

Help them have more success? No, it doesn't. In fact, it lowers our chances at qualifying for the Stanley Cup playoffs if we have to go through the Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning. Tampa owned us last year and the year before last. If they win a cup, it just makes them more confident they can go through us like a hot knife through butter. TB is young as heck and talented as heck. The Rangers aren't as young, but they will still be a tough challenge for anyone next season. Florida shouldn't worry about anybody but themselves. Florida needs to help themselves if they want to get better.

Florida couldn't hang with the best in the East this past season.

Preseason vs TB:
0 wins
2 losses
Outscored 7-1
3-0 L VS TB
4-1 L @ TB

Regular season vs TB:
1 win
3 losses
Outscored 14-9
3-2 OTL @ TB
4-3 W VS TB
4-3 L @ TB
4-0 L VS TB

Regular season vs NYR:
0 wins
3 losses
Outscored 13-6
5-2 L VS NYR
6-3 L @ NYR
2-1 L @ NYR

Last edited:

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Possibly locally. However, from an out-of-state perspective, the Panther's rival team going to the Finals won't help too much. As far as I'm concerned, people outside of Florida aren't going to give the Panthers much respect just because a different team in Florida is going to the Finals/winning the Cup. We're gonna have to show Tampa next year that we can beat them more than they can beat us if we want to gain some attention from them going this far.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Florida couldn't hang with the best in the East this past season.

Preseason vs TB:
0 wins
2 losses
Outscored 7-1
3-0 L VS TB
4-1 L @ TB

Regular season vs TB:
1 win
3 losses
Outscored 14-9
3-2 OTL @ TB
4-3 W VS TB
4-3 L @ TB
4-0 L VS TB

Regular season vs NYR:
0 wins
3 losses
Outscored 13-6
5-2 L VS NYR
6-3 L @ NYR
2-1 L @ NYR
Preseason is and always will be, meaningless. Regular season games vs. Bolts were tight and intense games with a lot of emotion. Close games, apart from the last one.

Rangers well, they had our number and only the last game was close (IIRC they scored two fluke goals and Lundqvist stood on his head).

Still against the Eastern Conference champion, that 1-2-1 record is by no means bad, especially since two of those games could have been wins.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Preseason is and always will be, meaningless. Regular season games vs. Bolts were tight and intense games with a lot of emotion. Close games, apart from the last one.

Rangers well, they had our number and only the last game was close (IIRC they scored two fluke goals and Lundqvist stood on his head).

Still against the Eastern Conference champion, that 1-2-1 record is by no means bad, especially since two of those games could have been wins.

Regular season vs ANA:
2 wins
0 losses
Outscored 12-4
6-2 W @ ANA
6-2 W VS ANA

That must not have fit.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Regular season vs ANA:
2 wins
0 losses
Outscored 12-4
6-2 W @ ANA
6-2 W VS ANA

That must not have fit.

To be fair, Mr. Universe started in net for one of those games. Shaky goaltending aside, we're a decent matchup for the Ducks and I love our chances against them in a series.

But it doesn't matter. We don't need to climb over the Ducks in order to gain a playoff spot. If we must lose games I'd rather it be against Anaheim, than the 7 we play against Tampa and New York. That's 14 points up for grabs and we took a grand total of 3 away from Tampa and New York.

I think that fits.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
To be fair, Mr. Universe started in net for one of those games. Shaky goaltending aside, we're a decent matchup for the Ducks and I love our chances against them in a series.

But it doesn't matter. We don't need to climb over the Ducks in order to gain a playoff spot. If we must lose games I'd rather it be against Anaheim, than the 7 we play against Tampa and New York. That's 14 points up for grabs and we took a grand total of 3 away from Tampa and New York.

I think that fits.

Non playoff team can't take many points from best teams in conference? Color me shocked. As Soupy said, we played well enough to win in quite a few of those games. We didn't get the bounces. Oh well, it evens out over an 82 game season. We don't need to beat the best teams in the conference to make.the playoffs. Obviously, that's the ultimate goal but not the short term goal in the present.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I think that fits.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Montoya started one of those games for us.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Non playoff team can't take many points from best teams in conference? Color me shocked. As Soupy said, we played well enough to win in quite a few of those games. We didn't get the bounces. Oh well, it evens out over an 82 game season. We don't need to beat the best teams in the conference to make.the playoffs. Obviously, that's the ultimate goal but not the short term goal in the present.

I hope you're both right. If we don't get the bounces and everything doesn't even out next year then we'll be sitting here having the same annual "There's always next year" conversation like clock work.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think it helps. Many northeners don't differentiate between florida locations. I'm rooting for Bolts. Their victory would put pressure on Panthers to improve as well, and create good teams like in CA.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
I hope you're both right. If we don't get the bounces and everything doesn't even out next year then we'll be sitting here having the same annual "There's always next year" conversation like clock work.

I'm with you on this. The answer is no. It hurts the Panthers. If TB is shaping up like I see, it will be similar to the Dolphins having the Patriots in the same division every season, taking a playoff spot away. Nobody cares about about growing hockey, blah blah blah anymore. You have to win..just like Tampa is doing. It's the only thing that really matters.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
How any Panther fan can cheer for the Bolts, to win, is beyond me. It makes me want to puke, every time they win a game.

However, the Bolts winning in 04 didn't do much for putting ***** in seats for the Panthers. Ultimately, we have to start winning and making our own playoff runs, to attract more fans. We can't rely on other teams to do it for us.

Though, I do think this upcoming season will be the perfect time for us to turn heads.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
There's no trickle down effect. If the Panthers don't win there won't be more people going to watch the games. Maybe some people will hear about hockey for the first time, but if that's the case, they won't know the panthers exist.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No, it hurts. Casual fans new to hockey from the area will be more likely to follow the Lightning than the panthers

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
There's no trickle down effect. If the Panthers don't win there won't be more people going to watch the games. Maybe some people will hear about hockey for the first time, but if that's the case, they won't know the panthers exist.
At least Panthers marketing is trying, there was a Panthers season ticket sale commercial during the first game (NBC6) (this is pretty much first time i see them marketing team, at the office we got dirt cheap tickets for some games during the last season).

JOL

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
At least Panthers marketing is trying, there was a Panthers season ticket sale commercial during the first game (NBC6) (this is pretty much first time i see them marketing team, at the office we got dirt cheap tickets for some games during the last season).

JOL

I think I saw that too. The one with the EKG monitor that flatlines?

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

JOL

Yup. My dad and I were shocked that they were advertising. Great sign even though commercial is annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad