OT: Does it annoy you how often celebrities whine about Vancouver?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Not meant to be a serious thread, but I stumbled upon some old articles about Ruby Rose's departure from Batwoman and how she apparently hated living in Vancouver being one of the big reasons why. You also had Dominic Purcell a few years ago go on a full blown instagram rant about hating Vancouver as well as that Archie from Riverdale actor.

Sure not all celebs hate Vancity, The Rock refered to it as one of his favorite cities in the world and Kate Winslet and Olivia Munn also spoke highly of the city (I guess quality over quantity works out in Vancouver's favour, here)

But doesn't it ever just make your head ache? Not so much that they don't like it, but that they go so far as to loudly express their hated of Vancouver on social media and even quitting jobs because of the city.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not really something worth being concerned about. Actors are going to be working in different locations, and they're not always going to like where they go. Vancouver is what, the 3rd or 4th biggest film industry in North America? Means you're going to have a lot of Americans coming through, and it's a very different experience from LA or New York.

This is going to apply to any industry that travels, not just the film industry.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
5CFD0F64-FFC2-498A-81EB-143D294C9119.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There might have been a time when people really worried what celebrities might have thought about Vancouver.....but that was before the definition of 'celebrity' was diluted to include just about anybody with a pulse and a good PR person. In the words of the late Andy Warhol," in the future everybody in the world will be famous for 15 minutes".

That future has arrived. Half the people who apparently qualify as 'celebrities', I've never heard of. Don't spend enough time on Twitter or social media I guess. But the positive thing, is that you could care less what they think about anything.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Another thing to add is people probably don't realize the hours TV leads like Ruby Rose and 'Archie' put in. Not really something to be sympathetic about considering how many aspiring actors would kill to be in the position their in, but the point is they're probably not going to have a lot of free time to enjoy Vancouver. Like this is all secondary to me but I think it caused a bit of a commotion in the local actors union when 'Archie' crashed his care driving himself home from set at 4:00am or something like that.

Googled it just to make sure I was being accurate, and here: 'Riverdale' Star KJ Apa Crashes Car After Falling Asleep At The Wheel

Riverdale” star KJ Apa was reportedly involved in a car accident in Vancouver, Canada, last week after driving home following a 16-hour work day, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The actor apparently fell asleep at the wheel after midnight during his 45-minute trip home before his vehicle struck a light pole. He was taken to the hospital, but luckily sustained no serious injuries and was later discharged. His car, however, was essentially destroyed and rendered unusable after the crash.

You can see why maybe the guy didn't like his time in Vancouver that much. Ruby Rose didn't crash her car but she also struggled with the work balance required to play Batwoman.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
There might have been a time when people really worried what celebrities might have thought about Vancouver.....but that was before the definition of 'celebrity' was diluted to include just about anybody with a pulse and a good PR person. In the words of the late Andy Warhol," in the future everybody in the world will be famous for 15 minutes".

That future has arrived. Half the people who apparently qualify as 'celebrities', I've never heard of. Don't spend enough time on Twitter or social media I guess. But the positive thing, is that you could care less what they think about anything.
If you see someone treated as a celebrity, but have no idea why, assume they are from one of two places- the bachelor, or the bachelorette.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Another thing to add is people probably don't realize the hours TV leads like Ruby Rose and 'Archie' put in. Not really something to be sympathetic about considering how many aspiring actors would kill to be in the position their in, but the point is they're probably not going to have a lot of free time to enjoy Vancouver. Like this is all secondary to me but I think it caused a bit of a commotion in the local actors union when 'Archie' crashed his care driving himself home from set at 4:00am or something like that.

Googled it just to make sure I was being accurate, and here: 'Riverdale' Star KJ Apa Crashes Car After Falling Asleep At The Wheel

You can see why maybe the guy didn't like his time in Vancouver that much. Ruby Rose didn't crash her car but she also struggled with the work balance required to play Batwoman.
If I remember too, the Riverdale Actors did not like how fans would come and annoy them while they were trying to do every day normal things - like people coming up to them on the street and forcibly hugging them and such. I get it, that would bother me as well.

Whereas, in LA or NY, they could probably blend in a little more

Reactions: CanuckCity

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not meant to be a serious thread, but I stumbled upon some old articles about Ruby Rose's departure from Batwoman and how she apparently hated living in Vancouver being one of the big reasons why. You also had Dominic Purcell a few years ago go on a full blown instagram rant about hating Vancouver as well as that Archie from Riverdale actor.

I have literally no idea who either of these people are.

As mentioned above, the only thing that was really annoying was what happened with the Grizzlies players and Steve Francis in particular.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
I have literally no idea who either of these people are.

As mentioned above, the only thing that was really annoying was what happened with the Grizzlies players and Steve Francis in particular.

I didn't know who 2 of the 3 were until they made news for complaining about Vancouver. But like I said in my original post, I'll take household names like Dwyane Johnson, Kate Winslet and Olivia Munn speaking highly about Vancouver over B+ actors hating it.

The other thing too is that a lot of the disliking of Vancouver from celebrities I guarantee you has to do with the stigma of it being in Canada (which makes Vancouver "boring" by default).

I promise that if these actors were stuck filming in cities which are similar in size and climate like Seattle, Liverpool, Stockholm or Helsinki they wouldn't be complaining. At least not as publicly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChilliBilly

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I didn't know who 2 of the 3 were until they made news for complaining about Vancouver. But like I said in my original post, I'll take household names like Dwyane Johnson, Kate Winslet and Olivia Munn speaking highly about Vancouver over B+ actors hating it.

The other thing too is that a lot of the disliking of Vancouver from celebrities I guarantee you has to do with the stigma of it being in Canada (which makes Vancouver "boring" by default).

I promise that if these actors were stuck filming in cities which are similar in size and climate like Seattle, Liverpool, Stockholm or Helsinki they wouldn't be complaining. At least not as publicly.

why do you care about this?

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
why do you care about this?

I don't really, its just something I've noticed over time and just wanted to know what others thought. One of those, "Hey, you guys ever notice that...." kind of things.

The first sentence I typed was that this thread isn't meant to be serious, just a conversation piece. I know it may be hard to believe that I don't really care because of how in depth my posts are but I'm just and in depth person (AKA an overthinker haha). I don't actually lose sleep over this at all.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
To the contrary, I encourage their whining. If their peers in the Sinosphere followed suit then maybe housing could get a wee bit less expensive.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
tbf i was born here, grew up here, lived in the pacific northwest for the first 23 years of my life.

then i lived in other places for the next twelve years before moving back. man i got so incredibly depressed that first fall when it rained practically everyday from mid-september to the end of the year.

if i’m a 25 year old who lives in LA and have to be in vancouver for work for a few months at a time and never really adjust to the darkness, i’d probably complain about it too.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
tbf i was born here, grew up here, lived in the pacific northwest for the first 23 years of my life.

then i lived in other places for the next twelve years before moving back. man i got so incredibly depressed that first fall when it rained practically everyday from mid-september to the end of the year.

if i’m a 25 year old who lives in LA and have to be in vancouver for work for a few months at a time and never really adjust to the darkness, i’d probably complain about it too.

I am came from South- Africa and it was a bit of an adjustment. Saying that living in a place where you can always get in a forest, be very safe is pretty nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad