Does Igor Shesterkin win Rookie Of The Year in 20-21

Does Igor Shesterkin win Rookie Of The Year in 20-21 season

• Total voters

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yep, but he also finished 9th in the league in scoring with 77/82 which is ridiculous for a rookie. He would have been tied 6th OA if he had 1 more point.

View attachment 344883

Goalies (sadly) don’t get the same amount as credit as forwards, or high-scoring dmen in the NHL imo. Sucks but that’s the reality of this league.

"He was just a product of Patrick Kane" :sarcasm:

Reactions: Kupo

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Panarin won it at 24 coming from the KHL..
Sure, he had an amazing rookie season. It's easier for skaters to win simply by virtue of there being more skaters than goalies, and voters emphasizing offensive output over all else. I'm not arguing that he can't win it--he absolutely can--rather, that, there will be some "artificial obstacles" he'll have to overcome.

Reactions: Crease

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Yup.

He'll also have a 124 save shutout in game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. All hail the mighty Igor.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think he does barring injury. There will be some good rookies next year, but starting goalies, especially good ones have gotten a lot of Calder love. I think the Rangers are a playoff team next year with Shesty as the starter, and someone who breaks 30 wins. He's put up some frighteningly good stats wherever he's played and I can see that trend continuing.

The other thing he has to his advantage is a low sample size. It will be a run through the league before his weak spots get figured out. So that's another thing that he's got going in his favor.

For those that want a tangible example. Cam Talbot had two great seasons in NY, and one excellent one in EDM before the book on him got figured out. That's why he's been a marginal goalie since then. Teams figured out that if you get traffic, and toss softer low shots at his feet, he gives up juicy rebounds and is out of position to recover. Since then team's have tried it against him, and he's been relegated to back-up duty.

If Shesty has a weakness, then that's something that hasn't been figured out yet.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think he’s got a shot, but he’ll need an exceptional year based on the factors listed in this thread.

Hell, guys were bullish on Kakko and Kravstov going into last year and look what happened. Shesterkin has at least shown that he’s capable of playing at a high level in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad