Does Igor Shesterkin win Rookie Of The Year in 20-21

Does Igor Shesterkin win Rookie Of The Year in 20-21 season

• Total voters

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not gonna be a hypocrite because I'm glad we didn't rush him this year but just imagine if he played the full season even at 80 percent of how well he played down the stretch. He could have been a candidate this year along with some some amazing young dmen in Makar and Hughes. So not a stretch he could be in the top 3 next season. Obviously for a goalie it depends on how well the team performs as well in terms of win loses.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The big question becomes rookie eligibility. Assume the rest of this season is canceled. Does rookie eligibility change because of it?

Assuming he's eligible and is the starter next year, I think there's a very good shot he'll be in the running. For him to win it, he'd probably need to play out of his freaking mind the entire season.

Reactions: egelband

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If he is a top 5 goalie in the league next season he is absolutely a lock for it next year.

Was he playing like a top 5 goalie this year? Yes.

Reactions: DanishRanger

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Likely no, on the basis that he's a goalie and will be 25.
Well, Jordan Binnington finished 2nd in Calder voting last time. He was 25 and played half the season. Crawford finished 4th at 26. Howard finished 2nd at 25. Rinne finished 4th at 26.

If Igor plays the full season as a starter I think he has a very good chance to finish top-3 in most rookie classes. I don’t know how good Kaprizov and Lafreniere are supposed to be but still.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Depends (obviously) on what other guys do. I thought Kakko and Hughes would be contenders this year and both sucked. I wouldn't have guessed guys like Kubalik and Olofsson would do what they did. Just really hard to know. The Calder I think can be harder to predict that other trophies involving known quantities.

Also, there WILL be members of the PHWA who say that since he's 25 and played for a number of years in the KHL, that he's not "really" a rookie. That's stupid, IMO, but it would be a thing.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Well, Jordan Binnington finished 2nd in Calder voting last time. He was 25 and played half the season. Crawford finished 4th at 26. Howard finished 2nd at 25. Rinne finished 4th at 26.

If Igor plays the full season as a starter I think he has a very good chance to finish top-3 in most rookie classes. I don’t know how good Kaprizov and Lafreniere are supposed to be but still.

Arguably Binnington didn't win precisely because he was a goalie and 25. Received more post-season awards recognition (Hart and NHL All-Star Team voting) than Pettersson and still finished behind him in Calder voting.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It's unlikely for almost anyway always solely because there are so many options. It's even less likely next season if you consider that the season will likely start late so in order to finish in a timely manner the schedule will be more compressed resulting in more back to backs which means we are likely to see the average starting goalie play less games than usual next season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Calder is the most random to predict.
Maybe Kravtsov puts up 30/80 ...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Arguably Binnington didn't win precisely because he was a goalie and 25. Received more post-season awards recognition (Hart and NHL All-Star Team voting) than Pettersson and still finished behind him in Calder voting.

i-guess-meme.png

Reactions: TheDirtyH

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Depends (obviously) on what other guys do. I thought Kakko and Hughes would be contenders this year and both sucked. I wouldn't have guessed guys like Kubalik and Olofsson would do what they did. Just really hard to know. The Calder I think can be harder to predict that other trophies involving known quantities.

Also, there WILL be members of the PHWA who say that since he's 25 and played for a number of years in the KHL, that he's not "really" a rookie. That's stupid, IMO, but it would be a thing.
Panarin won it at 24 coming from the KHL..

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Panarin won it at 24 coming from the KHL..
Yep, but he also finished 9th in the league in scoring with 77/82 which is ridiculous for a rookie. He would have been tied 6th OA if he had 1 more point.

FAF66D19-0471-4190-BC6B-733B72B196AD.png

Goalies (sadly) don’t get the same amount as credit as forwards, or high-scoring dmen in the NHL imo. Sucks but that’s the reality of this league.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad