Speculation: Does Green last the season?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
uhhh suuuuure there isn’t
Just guess, obviously, but could Green have not been extended because Aquilini knew he was moving on from Benning/Brod and figured the new GM would make his own choice of coach, so allow that new GM decide Green’s fate? That’s what happened with AV when Gillis was hired, wasn’t it? AV was a lame duck, no?

Reactions: David71

Love

Feb 29, 2012
There’s zero chance Green is fired before Benning. If Benning fires Green that’s an admission of failure. How many head coaches does Benning need to hire before he gets it right? That’s why it won’t happen even though it should. Really, Benning and Green both should’ve been canned already: Benning many years ago and Green last season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Aquilini can take two possible approaches at the end of the season.....he can wield the axe himself (unlikely)....or he can hire some President and put him in charge of the franchise and let him clean house.

I suppose the third option is 'do nothing'. But good luck with sponsorships and ticket packages for next season.

Decisions....decisions

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I feel like he just doesnt get extended and walks. That's if the team doesnt turn it around and scrape in or nearly scrape in. In that scenario I see him getting resigned.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Aquilini can take two possible approaches at the end of the season.....he can wield the axe himself (unlikely)....or he can hire some President and put him in charge of the franchise and let him clean house.

I suppose the third option is 'do nothing'. But good luck with sponsorships and ticket packages for next season.

Decisions....decisions

Aquilini should be interviewing Presidents now if that is the plan...or two years ago.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Aquilini should be interviewing Presidents now if that is the plan...or two years ago.

After canning Linden, he looked in the interview waiting room and it was empty. That is when he decided he, himself, is the best man for the job and thus commenced his hockeys ops career.

So now he needs to can himself and find a replacement; how's that going?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Decisions....decisions

After canning Linden, he looked in the interview waiting room and it was empty. That is when he decided he, himself, is the best man for the job and thus commenced his hockeys ops career.

So now he needs to can himself and find a replacement; how's that going?
I see a few are getting the idea of what happened and some may not remember.

First, Linden quit or just agreed not to continue.

If Mr. Aquilini did decide to run the hockey ops department then that would be when all these stupid contracts would be signed, but the damage was already done anyway, but he didn't.

As afar as cleaning house, part of that was Chris Gear being hired as the financial guy, in charge of money, in other words, he became the bank card. No longer did Benning have the keys to the bank.

If Benning was not signed for his option year you would have essentially a "cleaned house" front office and hockey ops department.
The new GM would still have to deal with Benning's poison pill contracts but he would be deciding on the coach and plan going forward, he would also have I suspect some backing in getting rid of a bad contract.

If you research the last 20 months yo will find many people fired or not resigned to new contracts, many "good" people just walking away.

But as a side bar here Benning has been successful in winning Lord Stanley Cup for at least two team where his help directly impacted those team and maybe even a third yet.

He directly helped Pittsburgh and Tampa win a cup when both need to shed salary of improve their team without cost. They phoned up Jim and sold him a bag of beans. moon beams and candy canes

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I see a few are getting the idea of what happened and some may not remember.

First, Linden quit or just agreed not to continue.

If Mr. Aquilini did decide to run the hockey ops department then that would be when all these stupid contracts would be signed, but the damage was already done anyway, but he didn't.

As afar as cleaning house, part of that was Chris Gear being hired as the financial guy, in charge of money, in other words, he became the bank card. No longer did Benning have the keys to the bank.

If Benning was not signed for his option year you would have essentially a "cleaned house" front office and hockey ops department.
The new GM would still have to deal with Benning's poison pill contracts but he would be deciding on the coach and plan going forward, he would also have I suspect some backing in getting rid of a bad contract.

If you research the last 20 months yo will find many people fired or not resigned to new contracts, many "good" people just walking away.

But as a side bar here Benning has been successful in winning Lord Stanley Cup for at least two team where his help directly impacted those team and maybe even a third yet.

He directly helped Pittsburgh and Tampa win a cup when both need to shed salary of improve their team without cost. They phoned up Jim and sold him a bag of beans. moon beams and candy canes

Ya, that's revisionary history regarding Linden:

"“He was, for lack of a better word, fired by owner Francesco Aquilini.”"

Did the Vancouver Canucks fire Trevor Linden? | Offside

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
If the season is a write-off then I could see FA thinking we might as well let Green play out the season and then either not extend him or let a new GM decide what to do. If you fire Green then Benning might bring in another coach (unless it's just an interim which would make sense) but would you want Benning hiring another coach if he's also on his way out? And if the decision's leaning towards getting rid of Benning then you also wouldn't necessarily want to get rid of Green in case the new GM wants to hold on to him.

Given FA's defence of Benning the cleanest thing from ownership's point of view would be to not touch Benning or Green and then to hire a PHO to do whatever needs to be done, including canning of Benning and if necessary cleaning how with Green as well.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

uhhh suuuuure there isn’t

635989668259656207-1716054164_Max-blum-denial.gif

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Decisions....decisions
Realisitically, the month of March dictates everything for Aquaman. Canucks, if they are only 0.500 for the month of March, they aren't gaining any ground IMO, and likely lose ground as teams make up the 4 games in had to make the gap between them and the playoffs wider.

I would expect both Benning and Green to be employed until the TDL, maybe afterwards, when the GM really can't do anything more for the franchise, would both the GM and coach be let go. That might be when other NHL clubs are willing to allow their Executives to interview for the role. I think for the Pitt GM role, the only Candidates tied to an NHL team at the time were with Colorado and Boston. Everyone else was not employed at the time. Total of 7 to 2 in that regards.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At some point the owner has to do something to rebuild the trust of the fanbase......and risks a serious backlash if he decides on doing nothing after this sorry season limps to a conclusion.

So I would expect all the changes in coaching and management to occur in the first week or so after the season ends.....sort of like "Black Monday" at the end of every NFL season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At some point the owner has to do something to rebuild the trust of the fanbase......and risks a serious backlash if he decides on doing nothing after this sorry season limps to a conclusion.

So I would expect all the changes in coaching and management to occur in the first week or so after the season ends.....sort of like "Black Monday" at the end of every NFL season.
You can only interview certain candidates at this point in the season. I think a lot of people here don't factor that in. Best IMO to see if there is a Briseboise sitting behind an Yzerman that you can be able to hire away if there is not a path to the GM role like there was for Gorton in NYR for example. At least keep all options open, rather than limit yourself to only the unemployed GM candidates.

Aquaman can keep hoping that this club as it is now can turn it around, but that was always going to depend on those overpaid paid vets giving them something and for the non-core young players to up their game to another level.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You can only interview certain candidates at this point in the season. I think a lot of people here don't factor that in. Best IMO to see if there is a Briseboise sitting behind an Yzerman that you can be able to hire away if there is not a path to the GM role like there was for Gorton in NYR for example. At least keep all options open, rather than limit yourself to only the unemployed GM candidates.

Aquaman can keep hoping that this club as it is now can turn it around, but that was always going to depend on those overpaid paid vets giving them something and for the non-core young players to up their game to another level.
Why can’t you interview or at least ask permission now?

I don’t believe anything is stopping them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why can’t you interview or at least ask permission now?

I don’t believe anything is stopping them.
You can always ask for permission, but, I believe that when Pitt was looking for a GM, the only 2 candidates of the 9 they met with were currently with another club. One was Colorado, and his name escapes me, the other was John Ferguson Jr who is with Boston.

It's highly unlikely that you get to interview everyone that you would like to at this point in the season if you terminate the GM. Teams can say no, because we need this guy for around up until the TDL. Once that day comes, there isn't much else a GM/management can do for the team at that point. It's on the players then, thus they are likely to be more open to letting their guys interview for a job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad