Speculation: Does Green last the season?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Bad Goalie, Jan 8, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Dab Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Trotting out this lame duck after loss after loss is torturous.

2. David71 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    he sounds like a man defeated with no answers postgame..

3. Grub First Line Troll

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    upload_2021-2-12_14-35-13.jpeg

This is already worse then Willie D, there’s
    no reason why Green is still employed. Fire his ass. Complete amateur.

4. Icebreakers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah he should be let go.

We aren't a team that's good enough to play without structure and having an identity. The amount of blow outs in a row is astounding. The coach is the one who needs to make decisions to make sure the game doesn't get out of hand. You can't make the same excuses every time if things don't work. I donnt think he has the balls to rip the young guys a new if they mess up. I understand you don't want to stunt their development but there needs to be a balance.

5. vanuck But Gillis...!!!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Just noticed that MacEwen only played 3:24 tonight - I'm genuinely curious to know if he was injured or something and I missed it? Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense for a guy who's actually been one of our best forwards at 5-on-5 so far this year, let alone in the bottom 6.

Bailey has also showed extremely well; his shot/possession/xG shares are all up there (albeit he's played all of 3 games). Really should've been playing more had Green not kept benching him all the time.

OTOH Roussel has been complete garbage so far and should be sitting out more often...

At the end of the day management is still the biggest problem with the Canucks and I recognize that the players generally like our coach and haven't quit on him, but Green's decision-making when it comes to underperforming vets truly infuriates me as a fan.

Was he handed a bad roster? Yes. But has he made the most of what he has to work with? Hell no.

Guy just does himself no favours when you look at who's part of the solution going forward.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  6. canuckking1 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The guy is just horrible. Pettersson had his best game of the season and was rewarded with 1:30 minutes 5on5 toi than f***ing roussel
    Even strength ice time
    Antoine Roussel: 9:37
    Elias Pettersson: 11:04

geebaan likes this.
  7. vanuck But Gillis...!!!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yup. And I just noticed that Brandon ****ing Sutter had more 5v5 TOI than EP too. Hahahahahahahaha

geebaan likes this.
  8. Izzy Goodenough Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    What is also worth noting is that Brandon Sutter, their 3rd line Centre, has yet to register a single assist this season in 17 games:
    Brandon Sutter - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Woe is the winger that plays with him.
    Then there is Beagle...

How are the Nucks going to win with these guys in the lineup getting primo minutes 5x5 and look at those cap hits.

Nightmare all around.

9. kevinsane Flashing the leather.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Family Intervention Worker
    650AM stated this morning that Travis Green is an in demand NHL coach.
    So, no problem.

10. Luckylarry Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Retired
    I’m starting to believe Green will stay, and Benning is fired. (Hoping Wisebrod is fired too, of course)
    Then the new (and please God experienced, successful, and competent guy) GM decides on coaching and all staff. This needs to be done now though, so the new person can evaluate, plan, and be fully prepared for the coming TDL.

kevinsane likes this.
  11. kevinsane Flashing the leather.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Family Intervention Worker
    In a perfect world.

12. mdobbs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Green is just not going to get resigned. He's the official tank commander right now

vanuck likes this.
  13. WTG Canooks!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    So was Willie since he got hired by the Kings.
    It's actually embarrassing how hard 650 grifts for the Canucks.

Luckylarry and kevinsane like this.
  14. VanJack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That's what they said about Mike Babcock and Gerard Gallant....but as of this writing, they're still out there.

But I'm sure Green will probably get another job....professional hockey coaches get recycled all the time. But his time in Vancouver is winding down, and based on his demeanor and body language in the post-game Zoom conferences, he seems to know it.

The die was basically cast when the Canucks failed to re-up him at the start of the season.

15. mrquincy27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I remember back when Dallas Eakins was the most in demand coach...hahah

16. VanJack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You know the situation in Vancouver is starting to look a lot like the black hole in Edmonton in the first half of this decade...all the high end talent and first overall draft picks surrounded by declining veterans, who were signed for 'mentorship' as well as a bunch of waiver-wire fodder.

And they handed out the big contracts to the likes of Hall and Nugent-Hopkins before they'd really earned it, much like the Canucks will soon be doing with Pettersson and Hughes.

Sub in the name 'Travis Green' for 'Dallas Eakins' and you have a mirror image of what his happening here.

Luckylarry likes this.
  17. Izzy Goodenough Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    but the Canucks are missing Kevin Lowe defending all their stupid moves by flashing his Stanley Cup rings around the press box.

18. Kreator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Very enjoyable that AFTER tv timeouts in neutral zone or offensive zone the fearless leader trots out the 3rd or 4th line....now thats coaching!!

vanuck likes this.
  19. theguardianII Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Really some of you have to get a grip on reality.
    First, this team is not what you think it was from last year.
    Don't drink the koolaid that was floated like a tidal wave about this being a playoff team.
    They didn't earn it, they were given an extra chance due to the league expanding the chance to 24 teams.
    They were not in a playoff position.
    They were heading DOWN in the standings and lost the playoff spot.
    I hammer that because too many folks actually believed that this team, after losing Markstrom, Tanev and Toffili were better than last year.

The team averaged around a 27th place finish for the previous 4 years, what changed? Nothing, they got worse.

Green can only coach what he has and is further handcuffed because he isn't contracted for next year yet,
    BUT understand these horses aren't up to this race.
    This division shows how much more is needed.
    The team is on track to fall into it average league standing, around 27th.
    The team is healthy, an injury to Edler, Myers, Boeser or Horvat anyone of them will be devastating.

And way out of Green's control. Green can't make the players spot making bad decisions, passes or brain farts. All he can do right now is juggle what players he has.
    He can't go to what they did last year because the league has seen Hughes now, that is why he has such a putrid +/-, they don't mind him scoring a point because they get 2 in return.
    Rover won't work now. That is what a coach does when he has bad defence, pushes to the offensive zone

20. Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Speaking of grips on reality...Nobody said this team was better off after losing Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli.?

theguardianII likes this.
  21. rypper How much longer?

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If you step outside the bubble of hfboards, that mindset was definitely out there. Or at very least that there wouldn't be any drop off.

22. Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I could see posters outside the bubble saying there would be no drop off...(In some areas , I thought that there wouldnt be a tremendous drop-off..more of a lateral move )

I've yet to see a serious discussion anywhere, on the team being 'better' after losing those players in UFA.

23. I am toxic . . . but I'm not viral

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's sad, going back to the Grading the off season moves thread, to see posters seriously thinking that the team had improved after losing Marky, Tanev and Tofu.

For example, one poster claimed the D was improved (wow, couldn't have been more wrong), the forwards were essentially the same, and the goaltending was a wildcard. If that isn't seriously leaving open the possibility that the team had improved after the offseason and loss of Marky, Tanev and Tofu, I don't what is.

Unfortunately, I didn't have to wait and see to know that - with Edler and Myers a year older, the loss of Marky, Tanev, Stecher and Tofu for nothing, the addition of a goalie who was clearly trending down - the team would take a step back this season.

A step back so shocking to JT Miller that it looks like he may not recover from his shock of this past off-season.

vanuck and Luckylarry like this.
  24. VanJack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's really hard to compare this year's team with last, because of the division they're playing in.

Watched a couple of periods of the Wild-Ducks game from the Honda Center earlier in the week. My God, that game was slow as molasses. Might have been bad ice, but the pace was almost non-existent.

The Canucks might actually be a slightly better team on paper this year, but will miss the playoffs solely because they play in this high-octane Canadian Division. You saw an example of it last night. One bobble by Edler at the blueline and Scheiffle just blows by him. This Canuck blueline was 'adequate' in the old Pacific Division....but it's getting badly exposed in this Northern Division.

This is a 'reset season' for the Canucks.....Continue to weed out the deadwood veteran contracts and prepare for a good draft.

25. Luckylarry Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Retired
    Marky
    Tanev
    Tofu
    Stecher
    All gone from our bubble roster.
    Schmidt
    Holtby
    Hamonic
    All added.
    Clearly Miller was correct when he said this is a “shocking” down turn for our club.
    We are worse, and by a lot.

I am toxic likes this.