Speculation: Does Getzlaf get traded this year?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
His contract is up at the end of this year. Personally, I don't see why he wouldn't go on a playoff drive with another team and then re-sign with Anaheim, if he wants to retire a Duck. This year there's even more incentive to do that, with most teams stuck in bubbles and the compressed schedule.

Reactions: Fig and Yannman
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The only comments I've seen directly from Getzlaf didn't leave any door open. His exact words were "zero desire to leave"

The same article had Getzlaf also say the NMC wasn't about forcing Bob into keeping him and that if they wanted to talk he'd talk. Both things can be true, that he doesn't have a burning desire to get out and chase another Cup but also that if the team comes to him with something it's not an automatic no.

There's so many factors I think its quite unlikely and he ends up staying a Duck until retirement but I also don't think its remotely impossible. Honestly the NMC is probably meaningless, they wouldn't deal him without his content anyway, like they didn't with Miller.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
pretty unlikely unless he wants to chase a cup

even then ducks would have to retain 50% and probably wouldnt get much back.

great career but not much separating him and 700k vets like Jumbo and Spezza at this point

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
As others have said I doubt he moves but maybe if he has decided this is his last year and wants another cup. But I really doubt that happens.

Reactions: Getz2noone

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
lol at people thinking a player like Getzlaf with his playoff pedigree would not get at least a late 1st from a playoff team. some of you people really think you can get any player for a 2nd a c prospect.

He’s sure as hell not getting a 1St and a prospect

Doesn’t really matter, he retires a duck anyways

Oct 18, 2011
pretty unlikely unless he wants to chase a cup

even then ducks would have to retain 50% and probably wouldnt get much back.

great career but not much separating him and 700k vets like Jumbo and Spezza at this point
Getz is very good still, his "advanced stats" relative to the team show he can still drive play, Anaheim just has very little offensive talent

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I know we've seen players that we didn't think would be traded after long careers in one city but I've always felt with Getzlaf that won't happen. He's got a cup, made his money and enjoys his life with his family in Anaheim. I say he stays and retires a Duck

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Getzbald still a good player, but is he worth a 1st and a prospect at this stage in his career? I suggest his recent stats say he isnt.

View attachment 394454

On top of this, would Anaheim even be trying to maximize the return for him, if the whole theoretical reason to trade him is to give him another good shot at the Cup? Hard to go to a couple of the top contenders and try to sell them Getzlaf at the highest price you might be able to get on the open market.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
On top of this, would Anaheim even be trying to maximize the return for him, if the whole theoretical reason to trade him is to give him another good shot at the Cup? Hard to go to a couple of the top contenders and try to sell them Getzlaf at the highest price you might be able to get on the open market.

Ya I would imagine that Bob would be more worried about accommodating his desire to chase a cup rather then maximizing the return.
That doesn't mean they will give him away for free though.

JAMRG

Feb 7, 2021
Hed sooner retire than play elsewhere. He'll be the next Duck to have his jersey retired.

Reactions: banks
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

That's where it depends. If Getzlaf goes to them like Thornton did last year and says he wants another go at it, I'm sure they'll move heaven and earth to make it happen and might take little back. But there's seemingly no chance he does that.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That's where it depends. If Getzlaf goes to them like Thornton did last year and says he wants another go at it, I'm sure they'll move heaven and earth to make it happen and might take little back. But there's seemingly no chance he does that.

I agree there's virtually no chance that he'll request a trade, and I fully expect him to retire as a Duck. Was just following the hypothetical (if extremely unlikely) idea that he requested a trade to its logical conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->